“1st Visit”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Decided to give Flamingo's a try tonight. Upon arrival we were seated promptly and drink orders taken. It took awhile to receive our drinks and we did notice that the waiter was really busy, so I wont fault him for that. I ordered from the appetizer menu their "Flamingo Oysters", they were grilled oysters (12) topped with crab meat and a shrimp. The oysters were all less than an inch long but very good flavor. My wife had the "Shrimp Sampler" which had 3 cracker battered shrimp, 2 pecan crusted and 2 almond coated shrimp with a side of fries and slaw. The shrimp had a really fresh taste and were plump . She commented that "I should've ordered all cracked battered shrimp". I had for dessert a dozen oysters on the half shell that were excellent to complete our meal. Overall for a newly opened place on the Island it is a very good place to eat.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a location that has had the "kiss of death" forever. Why, I cannot say. Enter the new Flamingos and you will find a very nice and well layed out restaurant and bar. The place if very well done and it is with great hopes that Flamingo's will be a great success and remain in business for many years to come.

My guests had dined there a few times before and had ordered the steaks. Knowing I was a particularly critical steak eater they advised me not to order the steaks as they were cut thin an had been a great disappointment to them. Hence I ordered the drug store hamburger which was superb! The Shrimp Poboy was well above average and is one of my recommendations. The menu is fairly extensive giving one many choices and the seafood is of course very fresh.

Now, back to the steaks. If one is to call themself a steakhouse (especially in Texas) then they should spend the time and effort to come to the realization of what a "Steakhouse" really is. That, at the bare minimum is offering superb cuts of beef in sizes worthy to serve in Texas. Furthermore they MUST be able to prepare a thick cut of Prime Beef prepared on the lines of a Sullivan's, Schmick and Wollensky and etc.
Now, to be absolutely fair, the do offer some Kobe beef. The only thing I found peculiar is that the price of the Kobe was well under any I have ever seen anywhere in the world including in Japan.

I say, I shall return and it is my belief that this restaurant has all the makings of being a smash hit. I also believe the owners would take critical advice to heart. If the service staff is any indication of the ownership (and it always is) then customer satisfaction is at the top of their list.

1  Thank criticalchristopher
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Galveston has needed a great steak restaurant on the West side of the Isle and we finally got one. Their steaks are actually grilled over a wood grill in the kitchen. The steaks are great and the service is very good.
I have not had the chance to make it during lunch but the lunch menu has a lot of choices which are different than the evening offerings.
The restaurant is big and spacious so you to do not feel crowded while you are eating. This is one restaurant not to miss on a visit to Galveston.

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Great food, huge portions, and a fantastic atmosphere! If you're looking for a very nice restaurant that does seafood well, and produces excellent cocktails- this is it! Oysters were awesome! We are hoping this place is here to stay!

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful menu selections that travel your senses. Chicken and dumplings take you to grandma's house, meat pies send you to Louisiana levees and a Hot Kentucky Brown... where else? Of course the local seafood brings you back to the bayou setting, but the wood fired meats are a place of their own.

I seldom order beef when eating out (father was a cattle rancher, 'nuf said) but Flamingo is the exception. And although seafood is my all time favorite category I've never been fond of oysters--until trying Oysters Flamingo and now am fully converted and have graduated to the grilled oysters.

Flamingo also offers a variety of dining /drinking options with the casual oyster bar, main dining room, separate bar plus outdoor patio and a private dining room. Of course, island casual is the dress code. Great Happy Hour.