“Great fun!”

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
Reviewed October 10, 2012

While we were in Texas visiting family, we headed to Galveston, and had a great time! We went to Paradise Pier, my older children and I, and we had loads of fun!
There were many rides that were new and exciting, and the food was quite good as well. It was very lovely to see it at night , for all the rides were lite up, which was very pretty to see.
We had a great time doing many different activities from rides, to watching people surfing from the pier, to having fun tall drinks, to taking an olden days photo of the family!
I would highly reccomend this place, it was great fun for us all!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went here on the Saturday of their opening weekend. Got there right as they opened in order to beat the crowd. As they advertised only 11 of the 16 rides were open...it was well known as it was just a soft opening. Someone would have to a fool if they didn't know this prior to going. Even as we arrived at the ticket booth they made it clear that the "big" rides hadn't begun operation. That was fine with us as we just got the $10 entry.
Even as we walked in there were plenty of greeters welcoming everyone and answering any questions. We had our pic made in front of a beautiful double decker Merry Go Round ( I know that's a lil corny but so what)
We walked around and admired how nice the rides were...all very bright and well placed. Checked out the big rides from as close as we could get and everyone of them looks like it's going to be a thrill. Now remember this isn't Disneyland or a 100 acre Six Flags so don't expect that. But they did a great job with the allowed space even with enough room to walk around without feeling confined.
Even tho the place just opened they had a complete staff walking around cleaning and polishing everything. This should really keep the Pier looking nice despite the large crowds that will no doubt be there.
We did a few of the arcade games...grabbed some cotton candy and drinks and enjoyed the atmosphere. The crowd started arriving and we decided to head back home.
As we left I askIf we could leave and come back. We were told that as long as we kept out wristbands we could come and go all day. That's great for them to allow that. U can go and chill, hit the beach or eat anywhere you want and still be able to come back. We had planned to come back after dark but didn't make it back up there.
Tillman did another great thing for Galveston and I'm sure many more on the way...can't wait to go back when all the rides are open.

1  Thank Montecore1
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

The sights of the pier was absolutely beautiful! My 2 yr old loved it! It cost him about $20 to ride unlimited. My husband's was $26. I didn't ride anything, just to walk on pier was $10. Only 2 rides for my 2 yr old to ride, a few more my husband rode with him. Fun family evening but pretty costly!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Most people gripe about having to pay to just walk on the pier, but I would argue it does keep the crowds down for those actually wanting to ride rides. BUT I do wish they would discount the walk on price if a parent is accompanying a child who is riding.
No the rides are not for thrill seekers, but my kids who are 10, 7, and 5 enjoy every ride there. For toddlers they have appropriate rides like cars that go in a circle, a carousel, tea cups, and a small ride that brings them up and down.
I appreciate the fact that if your child just isn't quite tall enough, if you have another child who is over 48" , s/he can ride the shorter kid. This was our case for the log ride.
We've been twice and lines were never more than a 5-7 minute wait. I know it is new, but it very clean and as we walked around I saw employees picking up trash and even scrubbing stuff off the floors.
We didn't eat anything there, but there is a Wendy's and Domino's across the street along with a couple of other sit down restaurants.
There are complaints about parking, but whenever we go to the beach we always have to walk some distance from where we parked so I don't see it as a big deal. We didn't park more than 2 blocks away either time.
Once we have a few weekend we will be going back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently opened in the summer of 2012, The Pleasure Pier is a fun, but rather expensive "carnival" over the water. There are rides, games and attractions for the little ones, teenagers and the young at heart. A candy shop, old time photo shop and small food concessions are also available on the pier. Those who would like a great view of the Gulf of Mexico can snap photos from along both sides or the end of the pier where it reaches out into the water. We arrived during the early evening and were rewarded with a beautiful sunset. Once night fell, the pier was ablaze with beautiful multi-colored lights from the attractions; a truly amazing and spectacular sight.