“Mixed emotions on haunted house”

Haunted Mayfield Manor
Ranked #17 of 74 Tours in Galveston
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Mixed emotions as to how to rate this experience. You go into a small room where the "Dr" gives you some background and then you proceed single file down a narrow maze like hallway with some turns and exhibits at various points. It maybe took 15 minutes. Not too scary, but the exhibits in the maze were mid level spooky and entertaining, and I was startled a few times by the dark and loud noises. It would definitely have been better with an adult playing the doctor role - We had a teenager and though I'm sure he's a nice kid his acting was a pretty cheesy - plus because of his age not too believable. In addition he hung out in the waiting area before we started so spoiled most of the effect! We had our teenager son with us. Even so we chose to go thru it with a light hearted attitude so it was fun for break from shopping on the strand and the heat. For a younger person - under 12 I'd give it 3.5-4 stars. Its a little expensive for what you get by itself but if you combine it with the pirate exhibit its reasonable. Id recommend if you have teenagers/kids in your party and are in the strand area and need a short break but don't expect it to be the big event of your day. Wouldn't recommend for only a group of older adults though.

3  Thank dj3
There are newer reviews for Haunted Mayfield Manor

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stumbled upon Haunted Mayfield Manor by accident, I guess you could say it found us....
We were on the strand and we happened upon the sign that said "Haunted House", which intrigued us since we were planning on attending Dash Beardsley's ghost tour later that evening and we were in the mood for scary fun. The staff were very nice and knowledgeable, and they gave us a brief history of the building and Dr. Mayfield before we entered the "house", which was very good history.
The building was used as a morgue right after the Great Storm and the house is based off the Dr. that worked the morgue. The "Doctor" was a great actor and the house lasted about 10-15 minutes all together, which made for some great cheap thrills. Ticket prices are reasonable and it is a fun, quick activity if you are trying to kill some down time.

Please go see the Dr., it'll be worth it!

4  Thank Alyson A
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I took my 7 year old son here as part of a package with the pirate museum. He really hates scary stuff so I was a little Leary. The "doctor" could sense his trepidation and made my son feel much more at ease. He had us stand back a little from main group so we still got to enjoy the screams without the big scares. The doctor even went so far as to fist-bump my son as we passed by some scary parts. I was truly thankful that he made my son's experience extra special. Great place, very well done!!

6  Thank hawkgirl2014
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I baught a Groupon for two VIP tickets to Haunted Mayfield Manor for $25 not a bad price however the pass should have taken us to the front of the line for special guests to wait a tour. We were placed in the middleof the line between all guests to see with an anouncement made advising guest both in front of us and to the rear of us that we had special passes. We felt so awkward that we removed ourselves from the center of the line and waited at the end of the line with the other guests. To make things worse this truely was a one man attraction. The narator ran from peep hole to peep hole to trap door trying to scare you. Towards the end it became comical because he was seriously out of breath at the end leaving you to wonder did that really happen and did i really pay for that. Best advise save your money.

6  Thank jdray2013
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This has got to be the worst haunted house I have ever been in my life & I have been to a few. first of all we purchased a groupon that was $12.50 a person for supposed VIP tickets, then we get there & there is absolutely NO ONE in line & come to find out it's only $10 for a regular ticket. Then you go in & there is 1 guy that mans the entire haunted house. He continues to pop out of doors & windows to try to scare you & usually he is too late you have already walked by. I do not know how these people can sleep @ night knowing they are ripping people off so bad.

7  Thank Annette C