“Could have been better”

La Copa Inn Galveston
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Galveston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had requested a before noon check in on a Wednesday online. We were planning on staying 2 nights. A friend died and so we had to change our reservation to only Wednesday We called on Monday to change our reservation and were told the new rate. We arrived on Wednesday at 12. We were told there was only a room in the back available, but if we could wait until 2, they would have a room up closer. So we decided to wait. We went to the strand and got a bite to eat (outdoors because we had our dog with us). Upon returning we were told that a room wouldn't be available until 4. It was 90 plus degrees out and we had no idea where to go or do until then. So we drove around until 3:30 and contacted La Quinta's main reservation. She spoke to them in galveston and stated they were just extremely busy so they had a lot of rooms to clean. She also said there was no cancellation for the second night but took care of it after our phone call. We finally checked in at 3:45, giving us just enough time to put our feet in the pool to cool off ( the pool had scum along the side tilework), shower and dress to meet our friends who stayed elsewhere for dinner. Upon looking over the room, we noticed noodles still in the microwave. The next day we had to check out by 11:00. The worst part is we actually live only 30 min away in clear lake. We just wanted a nice day and evening in galveston without rushing to get home and dressed. That is not what we got at all. Extremely disappointing. Not something we plan to do again any time soon.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. We are members of La Quinta, and are generally pleased with most of their accom...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank strivingtorelax
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for three nights while exploring Galveston. The hotel was good, nothing fancy but my room was clean and the air conditioning worked well. The view from my balcony was great. Parking was underneath the building which allowed for shade all day which was nice.

This hotel is in a good location, away from the hustle and bustle of the Pleasure Pier but still walking distance from a few shops and restaurants and a short drive from other attractions on the island.

If you are travelling with a dog this place would be great for you, but if you are like me and don't have a pet you may want to choose another hotel. There were dozens of dogs in the hotel and there was lots if barking throughout the day and night. Once one started barking they all did.

Overall happy with this hotel experience just wish there were fewer barking dogs.

Stayed July 2014
Galveston, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I love pets. This hotel had too many 4 legged friends on site during my stay. We were woken up twice during our stay due to barking dogs. Our view from our balcony was a power transfer and the next hotels trash cans. Joy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2014

It's certainly average by Galveston standards but that's not saying much. Our family visited Galveston for the 4th of July weekend with Friends who have a vacation condo on Seawall. I choose this hotel as it was in a good location to visit our friends. We rented the large family suite, it's basically a normal 2 bed suite with a connecting king suite and one shared bath. it was fine for our three night stay but like everything else in Galveston it felt "unclean". Our room appeared clean enough but the carpet had a mildew scent in my opinion and the walls felt discolored and grimy.

I am extremely particular and have un-usually high standards so most people won't have such a big issue with the quality and "feel" of the hotel- this is why I gave 3 stars instead of 2 like I really wanted to.

We had no check in issues. I didn't feel too good about who many people had dogs on the property. I tossed at night wondering if someone didn't have a dirty dog sleeping in the bed before. Again, I know most people visiting Galveston won't be that particular but I wanted to be detailed and honest for those who may be as picky as I am.

Hubby took the kids down for "Continental Breakfast" Apparently it only consists of pastries and wafffles.

The staff we witnessed in the hallways always were pleasant. Our room was cleaned in the afternoons which I appreciated.

The bathroom had a descent laminate floor that seemed newer. The tub had a shower curtain that seemed like a germ magnet - gave me the creeps. Shower fixtures were rusted and in poor shape.

All in all got a little easier each day of my stay to be comfortable in the hotel. It wasn't horrible and I am thankful that our visit was un-eventful but there's no way I'd stay here again if I ever find myself back in Galveston. I'd try to find a hotel with a few more stars.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Neisha R
Rosenberg, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The best things about this hotel were the pillow-top mattresses, cleanliness, hot breakfast, service, and accessibility to attractions yet not in the busiest part of town; that was a good thing for us. A parking garage is also provided for vehicle protection. We did have a standard side view of the gulf from 3rd-floor balcony.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family