“Disappointed”

Best Western Galveston West Beach Hotel
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our room had a layer of dust. Lamps not plugged in. Paint peeling in bathroom. Permanent stains/soap scum in tub. Water damage on walls covered by paint. Huge room w/ 2 king beds bug tiny table for 2 & 1 chair. No trash can in bathroom. No laundry service even though they advertise they have it & even put a laundry bag in your room w/ instructions to fill it out & give to desk. Took 3 calls to get more hangers. Tv signal bad, wifi signal bad. Staff is rude & could care less about helping you w/ anything. Beds are clean and very comfortable but that is the only good thing I can say about this hotel. We will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela A
lqgalvestonislandtx, Webmaster at Best Western Galveston West Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites Galveston Seawall West for your recent stay in our area.

Maintenance was informed of the problems you encountered in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the necessary repairs

The housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness in their work for us.

Staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated

Front office staff has received extra training as to their responsibility to ensure that all guest requests are handled in the best possible manner and also to maintain an enduring hospitality.

We are thankful for mentioning all the positive sides which you observed during your stay. We assure you and request you to consider staying with us in future and have a new satisfactory experience.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a few times, this time was because we were suppose to catch a carnival cruise. The rooms are very clean & the employees were very helpful. They have an awesome complementary breakfast(scrambled eggs & waffles) yummy;)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was there for the Ironman texas (one night only). It was pretty expensive, but considering the peak weekend no big issue. Nothing special, just another La Quinta, no bad experience except our room was next to the elevator and the Ding-Dong from the elevator door was annoying.
The staff was kind enough to prepare breakfast earlier for all the tri-athletes (4.15 am).
I would recomend it for 1 or 2 night while waiting for a cruise or some other special event.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at La Quinta during a family trip. The hotel was one of the lowest priced on the island, but you truly get what you pay for in Galveston. I'm not saying the hotel was bad, but you'll notice other hotels/resorts to be a lot newer a updated. But, on to the review:

Value: 5/5 As I mentioned, the hotel was one of the lowest priced on the island. Weekend rates are still over $120 as the weekday rates tend to drop by almost HALF.

The Room 3/5: Typical, but clean. Nothing fancy here. The room did include a fridge, but the actual bathroom (shower/toilet) was VERY tiny with little room to navigate. Access to your room is outdoor, almost in a "motel" fashion. Not a problem for most, but some may want to know that detail.

Amenities: I did enjoy the pool at this hotel. Unfortunately, there is no Jacuzzi (but who needs that while you're steps away from the beach). With that in mind, you DEFINITELY need to select a BEACH FACING ROOM. The view is amazing and one of my favorite features about the hotel.The hotel is also lacking any fitness equipment, but luckily there is a nice beach front walk to accomplish any exercise you may need. There is a standard cold breakfast (with waffles) each morning.

Location: La Quinta is only minutes away from the pier (walking distance). There is a steak house and other restaurants close by. You're right on the beach and access is only a short walk down the street. You'll find a Denny's in the parking lot, but we found that they don't enjoy hotel guests parking anywhere near their business. This makes parking VERY LIMITED for La Quinta guests. We parked in one of "Denny's parking spaces" over night and they asked the desk to have us move our car. Needless to say we didn't give Denny's out business the entire trip.

Room Tip: Beach facing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The rooms are what you expect in a nicer La Quinta. The staff was very friendly and we traveled with pets, so this is a good pet place. The hotel is located on a section of beach that you can not swim on but it's only a few miles to the sandy parts. It was nicer than a lot of the La Quintas I've stayed in the past... I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this La Quinta the first of February the night before our cruise. I was a little worried about our stay as the reviews for the previous few weeks had been bad and stated that place was being remodeled and lots of construction and mess. I called the week before our trip to check on the park and sail services and they informed me of the remodeling that was underway and let me know that it would not affect our stay. Our room was so large and had just been completely remodeled. We had a balcony that looked out on to the ocean across the street. We used the Park and Cruise service that they offer so that we could leave our car in their lot for the whole week we were on the cruise for only $25 plus they took us to the ship terminal and picked us up. We did have to wait a few hours from the time we signed up for the shuttle till we got to leave for the terminal but that is understandable as most of the guests at the hotel were also in using this service and it was Madi Gras weekend so the traffic was bad. Our experience with the staff was all good, everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: the hotel is right across the street from the ocean - get a room on the East side on the 2nd or 3 rd...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoLynn C
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at a LaQuinta the night before our arrival to Galveston in Houston. The Houston LaQuinta was great, the staff was so nice and our room was very clean! My husband and I arrived at the Galveston LaQuinta the next day and was immediately not impressed. I went in, despite my hesitation. The lady at the front desk was not friendly, I did not get the warm friendly greeting like I had received in Houston. I gave her my information and she checked on my reservation. While checking the availability of the room I booked, a woman and her husband came down with their bags and room key in hand. The woman looked very upset, and informed the front desk staff that there were people and a dog in the room she was just given a key to. Housekeeping was at the desk and showed proof she cleaned the room earlier. No one at the front desk knew who was in the room or how they got a key. Very unorganized. The lady who was helping me disappeared in the middle of checking me in, left my credit card and drivers license on the desk for all to see. She said she was going to check on the availablity of my room, she was gone for 20 minutes. In the time she was gone the other lady at the front desk continued to check guests in, at least 3 to be exact. Why was their room ready? I had arrived before them and somehow my room wasn't ready? I have stayed at many LaQuinta's all around Texas, I have never been to one so unorganized and so unfriendly. Needless to say, we did not stay. In the time it took the other lady to check 3 people in we booked a room at a much nicer and friendlier hotel. Note, the lady who was checking me in did not come back, the other lady somehow had time to come over and cancel my reservation. I will not stay at this LaQuinta, nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Sharee C
lqgalvestonislandtx, Webmaster at Best Western Galveston West Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

• Front desk Lady received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Front desk staff received additional training with regards to maintaining the reservation and allotting the rooms.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at La Quinta Inn & Suites Galveston Seawall West. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.