Ok, we have stayed at this location numerous time since it was built (maybe 8 to 10 years ago). I have put up with it for the price, but I think I may have to just pay more for a room rather than dealing with all of the issues at this hotel.
There seemed to be numerous maintenance issues throughout the hotel, even though they have obviously brought in some new furniture to modernize the hotel. The first thing we noticed was that the security door from the garage to the elevator did not work - that did not make me feel good. There were new pictures and furniture in our room, but the lampshades were old and cracked. And there were plaster patches on the wall that had not been painted over, and a peeling and stained ceiling. Carpet is desperate for replacement, I'm surprised they replaced furniture before the carpet. And the furniture doesn't leave a lot of room for storage.
Bathroom showed numerous signs of neglect, many patches on grout, evidently the soap holder in the shower fell down and was never replaced.
Evidently there HAD been a flat screen on the wall (the holding bracket was still there) but it had been replaced with an old small Zeinth like the ones we got rid of about 8 years ago.
The deal breaker for me was the temperature. And being a lady of "a certain age", I have issues.....temperature issues.......... And if you live in Texas, you know the temperature changes can be hot one day, cold the next, even in the winter. When we arrived at the room after registration, I noticed the room was a little warm. I tried turning down the AC/heating unit, but noticed it would only turn down just so far.
When I called the front desk to see about maintenance, I was told that the owners had adjusted all the ac/heating units for the winter so they would only go down in temperature that far. And in October in Texas, that was just not enough. Thank goodness a cool front came through the second day we were there, that helped a lot. But I don't think I can stay in a place that I cannot control the temperature as much as needed.
I cannot say that most of the staff seemed very interested in serving the customers. I DID notice the young man servicing the breakfast in the morning seemed to have a lot more on the ball, as did the lady who actually checked me out when we were leaving. I believe the cleaning people did as much as they could with the rooms.
This is a very popular place with the "cruise crowd" since they will let you leave your car and shuttle you to the cruise port, so maybe this is why there is a lack of maintenance and service, it always seems to be filled no matter what. But we will certainly be exploring other properties in the area for our little trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Galveston, Texas is a small, romantic island tucked deep in the heart of south Texas, offering 32 miles of beautiful beaches, exciting entertainment and quality restaurants and shopping, and the new Best Western® Galveston West Beach Hotel on Galveston's Seawall Boulevard gives you easy access to it all at a price that won't break the budget. Business travelers appreciate our convenient location and quality amenities keep them productive. Businesses and universities near the hotel include Galveston College, Texas A&M at Galveston, University of Texas Medical Branch, American National Insurance, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers and the U.S. Coast Guard. We have a 24-hour business center. Whether you're enjoying a refreshing vacation or embarking from the Port of Galveston, our hotel offers a great stay at a great price. Our prime location allows you to relax and watch the ocean wave’s crash, and we are close to numerous attractions the whole family can enjoy, including Schlitterbahn® Waterpark, Stewart Beach, Galveston Island Ferry and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Expedia, LaQuinta, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Best Western Galveston West Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn And Suites Galveston Hotel Galveston
- La Quinta Hotel Galveston
- La Quinta Galveston
- Galveston La Quinta