“Traditions Live on”
Review of Gaido's

Gaido's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaido's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street
Description: The toast of the Texas coast. How can frozen fish be called fresh? The answer for anyone with snap is simple: it can’t. That’s why Gaido’s is the classic choice for fresh Gulf seafood. Patrons know Gaido’s is real, when others are clearly not. From red snapper and blue crab to white tablecloths crumbed with panache, there’s no denying Gaido’s is one-of-a-kind in a world of imitation. Now, after four generations of filleting, frying, grilling and baking, Gaido’s has grown into the picture perfect place of traditions– birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, reunions. As the largest fresh fish house on the coast, Gaido’s can serve up to 2,500 happy diners a day. -– for over 100 years – is truly the coastal classic.
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming here since 1971. The place is better than ever. Just had my annual fix during oyster season and Gaidos did not disappoint. Our waitress Samantha was awesome. The wine was reasonably priced and all the food was wonderful. We made a reservation for 8. I highly recommend making reservations so you don't have to wait 2 hours for a table.
This is a must stop for me and my family. They only serve gulf-caught seafood, so you can't get Alaskan King Crab, but you won't be disappointed.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,844)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I don't eat seafood, but my wife does. Given that we were at the seashore, we "had" to have dinner at a seafood restaurant. After inquiring, several people suggested Gaido's. Glad we took their advice.

We showed up on Saturday night about 6 without a reservation. We were told that we couldn't be seated until after 8. However, we saw two seats open at the bar. Grabbed them and enjoyed a few drinks and laughs with new found bar mates. The bartender, also our server, went through the menu step by step since we had never been there before. She was a bit stressed with everything going on but got our order taken care of perfectly.

My wife had a fish called, "Tile," which no one at the bar, including several Galveston natives, had ever heard of but everyone who ate it thought it was really great. Me, I had a steak, and it, too, was excellent.

It was a great evening. I'd recommend this place for fish lovers and those who hang out with them.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We read about Gaido's, a legendary saefood restaurant amongst a mass of great seafood restaurants in this lovely town. It did not disappoint!

We had a big lunch so went for a shared starter and main course. We had gumbo to start, which was fantastic. Great shrimp, a really rich broth, though I would probably have liked it a littlle more spicy.

Then the main course, nahi-mahi. This came with a fantastic mixed vegetable accompaniment, a rich version of ratatouille of avocado and tomatoes.

The options here are incredible. This is fine dining that would fit into major city and not be out of place, with excellent and attentive service throughout.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's not a lot of seafood dishes I like so my review might not be the best from my point of view. I came here solely upon a recommendation from a co-worker. I thought the food was severly overpriced for the catfish dish I had; however, my husband stated his shrimp entree was the best he experienced while in Galveston. I asked the other couples with us and they stated there food was good as well.

1  Thank nichele1908
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This place is a big ripoff. They place a sign outside advertisitng an $8.99 lunch special, then present you with a $40 bill when you order it. When I questioned it, they told me that the sign referred to the restaurant next door, even though it clearly says Gaido's at the top of the sign. I can't think of any lunch that is worth $40 for one person and this one certainly isn't. They certainly have a high opinion of their food. They have lost one customer for life and I hope with this review they will lose more (or at least if you go, order something on the high priced menu so you know how much you are paying.)

1  Thank txtootsie