“Delicious”
Review of Gaido's

Gaido's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaido's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street
Description: The toast of the Texas coast. How can frozen fish be called fresh? The answer for anyone with snap is simple: it can’t. That’s why Gaido’s is the classic choice for fresh Gulf seafood. Patrons know Gaido’s is real, when others are clearly not. From red snapper and blue crab to white tablecloths crumbed with panache, there’s no denying Gaido’s is one-of-a-kind in a world of imitation. Now, after four generations of filleting, frying, grilling and baking, Gaido’s has grown into the picture perfect place of traditions– birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, reunions. As the largest fresh fish house on the coast, Gaido’s can serve up to 2,500 happy diners a day. -– for over 100 years – is truly the coastal classic.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food was wonderful and the service was amazing! The prices were decent and the restaurant was very clean. We sat outside and the view was beautiful! I will definitely be going here again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,897)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did a late dinner, once we got into town on Friday night. Our server was Valentin, an exchange student about to return to his homeland the next day. Service was good (although the hostess forgot to bring us a kids menu, our waiter obliged). Food was decent - very well prepared, fresh. The prices were a little high IMO. But Gaido's has been around for 100 years, so we expected as much. They were closed on our last trip as their electricity went out but we wanted to be able to have this experience. Would I return? I'd try other places first in honesty due to prices but it was good food.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten at Gaido's for over 50 years. Service still very attentive and personal. Food not quite as good as it used to be. Buffet overpriced for quality. Menu similar to other seafood restaurants. Still has a lot of history and that and the service helps.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Drove to Galveston to take out of town guests to a normally excellent meal. Not the case this time. I ordered the fried seafood platter and felt I was at Long John Silvers. Normally, the fish served would be fresh. I was served a fried square plank that looked like it was frozen until fried and tasted as such. The asparagus was fresh, but undercooked. The fried seafood balls were soaked in grease and I had no idea what was in them. Tasted like a greasy hushpuppy but was not. The shrimp was just okay, not up to the standards I remember at Gaidos. This was served on weird looking Melba toast which probably helped soak up the grease and made the plate and food appear as if you were getting alot more food. My husband ordered the crab salad and was satisfied. I did not get feedback from my guests as I was too embarrassed to ask after all of the bragging I had done on the place. The bar drinks were excellent and their pecan pie is fabulous. We ordered the "brownie" with ice creme and ended up with a huge piece of pepperidge farm quality cake with a scoop of ice cream on it. The ice creme was good, that is about it. Oh, ordered their Parmesan tomatoes for an appy for everyone after bragging on them. Mistake. No parmesan, small soggy tomatoes. Not like the original beefsteak tomatoes they used to use. Tasteless. Their crab artichoke dip was delicious. Sorry this is scattered. I am embarrassed and disappointed in this legend of a restaurant that we used to love so dearly.

1  Thank PollyPocket0100
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Gaido's was a little bit different than I remembered it from last time, definitely more formal. The wait was very long and the staff seemed to be a bit chaotic, which made the wait seem longer. Bread or other distractions during the wait would have been welcome, especially to families with young kids.

Our waiter also did not do so great with young kids. We asked for their food first and he seemed to mind that we were disrupting the flow of his service. He got over it, but the rest of the meal had the feeling of a negotiation.

The food was passable. Some things were very fresh, like the crab on its own. However, other things just didn't work, like the goat cheese beignets. When I complained that they were tough and chewy, I was informed this was the intended texture. Strange. The crab cake was average and the steak fries good.

We mentioned in the reservation, at check-in and several times at the table that we had a special birthday to celebrate. It was never acknowledged. It is difficult for me to understand how such a thing could be overlooked.

Overall, it's an institution and you should try it once if you've never visited before, but I don't necessarily recommend it otherwise.