“Very NICE place to eat!”
Review of Gaido's

Gaido's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaido's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 315 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street
Description: The toast of the Texas coast. How can frozen fish be called fresh? The answer for anyone with snap is simple: it can't. That's why Gaido's is the classic choice for fresh Gulf seafood. Patrons know Gaido's is real, when others are clearly not. From red snapper and blue crab to white tablecloths crumbed with panache, there's no denying Gaido's is one-of-a-kind in a world of imitation. Now, after four generations of filleting, frying, grilling and baking, Gaido's has grown into the picture perfect place of traditions- birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, reunions. As the largest fresh fish house on the coast, Gaido's can serve up to 2,500 happy diners a day. -- for over 100 years - is truly the coastal classic.
Mt. Enterprise
“Very NICE place to eat!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We loved the atmosphere and the service! Was not rushed to order or to eat. The fish was delicious. I had stuffed flounder that was only 2 hours old! Wow! My husband and I shared dessert. The finger bowl to wash hands was a nice touch. Highly recommended.

Visited February 2013

Sunnyvale, California
“Great food and views”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is my second evening visit to this place, and I love it. We went to the informal part of Gaido's, called Casey's, located just across Seawall @ 39th from the beach Even at night, you can see the many wavelets coming in on the beach (despite, this time, the illegally parked big rig) and the garishly lit Ferris Wheel on the "Pleasure Pier". My girlfriend insisted on coming back to have what I had ordered the first time, the blackened tilapia with baked potato side ($15.50 ea.). Flavor is amazing on both; though I was full about 1/2 way through, I had to finish it. Service is really good, too. A long, narrow place, it is easy to get tables on the beach side; looking the other way in the place are rows of big screen TVs, i.e like a sports bar). There are only two down sides to this place, IMO, 1) the rest room location is not well marked (they are toward the back on the right side, facing the place from the street), and 2) the parking, which is irregular in the front, and can involve cars too far forward and too far black, blocking ingress and egress, and/or requiring waits and lurching across the Seawall traffic to get in.

• Visited February 2013
McKinney, Texas
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Every time we go to Galveston, we eat dinner at Gaido's. On this trip we took three other people with us and we were not disappointed. We made our reservations online for 7:30 and we were seated promptly when we arrived.

Entrees ordered by our group included Stuffed Shrimp, Pecan Crusted Catfish, Shrimp & Grits, Shrimp Pasta and Red Snapper (chosen by the waiter). Everyone was happy with their meal. Mine was the Shrimp and Grits and it was wonderful. At first, I thought the portion was a little small but as it turned out I could barely finish it.

The only thing slightly disappointing was that our son asked the waiter to surprise him with his recommendation and the waiter brought something almost twice as expensive as anything else ordered. But that's what we get for giving him carte blanche. I just felt he could have kept it in line with the rest of the orders.

Will definitely continue to visit when we are in Galveston.

• Visited January 2013
Saint Francisville, Louisiana
“The complexity of the dish”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

It's been several years since my husband and I shared a bad meal at Gaidos, and I can't believe it's still open! So bitter was the sauce served with our appetizer, the memory still lingers. Not one to complain restaurants, I just left the shrimp dish (supposedly one of you signatures) on the plate to wait for the arrival of entrees. But the waiter made a big, loud deal about us not eating the app, so I explained that the sauce had obviously been reduced too much and was burned.
He then summoned the manager, not at my request. I don't care to create a scene during dinner, but your waiter wouldn't let it go. "Ma'am, you don't understand the complexity of the dish," said the manager. Well, now, I'd not only been served bitter sauce, but I'd also been offended by an argumentative floor manager. I waited tables in my younger days, and know that it's important to attempt to make a situation right. Remember, I just wanted to let it go, but your staff kept trying to convince me what I'd eaten tastes as it should. And we were charged for the item to boot.
We just wanted to end the discussion and eat our entrees. And we're from South Louisiana; we know how shrimp should and shouldn't taste! (Hoping for some fresh Gulf seafood, we were surprised to find the fish special that night was catfish. What's up with that?)
Hey, folks, it's 2013. No one's impressed with the giant crab (hey, some fresh crab on the menu would've been good...it's ya mascot!), the china cabinets full of crystal, or the ancient tuxedos your wait staff wears. The place is old and outdated, and we left there disappointed, unsatisfied, hungry and angry, and then had a great meal at a 24-hour diner up the street. We get better fried seafood at some gas stations in Louisiana than what we had at Gaidos.
And, concerning my misunderstanding of that awful burned sauce we were served...My husband and I eat out for recreation. We eat (and he cooks) everything from sushi to thai, from greek to vietnamese, from seafood to steak; we're not a pair of dummies honing our pallets on fast-food restaurants. We had some great meals during our Galveston stay, but our Gaidos experience was just, well, gross. What a tourist trap!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Jonan1
Marshall, Texas
“A new "first place" winner”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We almost didn't go to Gaido's during our trip to Galveston, after reading some of the reviews. After trying a couple other seafood restaurants, though, we decided to visit, knowing how good it has been in the past. The waitstaff were courteous and friendly. I ordered stuffed shrimp and my wife got blackened shrimp. Both were beyond outstanding - beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. They could not have been better. The waiter (Matthew, I think) mentioned how his girlfriend loves the bread pudding, so we decided to share some. Absolutely the best we have ever had. I don't consider myself a bead pudding connoisseur, but my all-time favorite was previously from the Commander's Palace in New Orleans. Gaido's broke that record of many years standing! The dinner portions are just right, leaving you enough room to enjoy this special treat (or half of this special treat). Don't visit Galveston without eating at Gaido's - it is the best!

• Visited January 2013