“One of the best beaches for family of all ages!”
Review of Stewart Beach

Stewart Beach
Ranked #23 of 106 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: Families are the focus at this popular, amenities-rich beach park, where volleyball, sandcastle competitions, concerts and other family-oriented activities are the norm all summer long.
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My whole family on my mom's side invaded Galveston and this was such a nice clean fun beach! We rented umbrella's which was nice. It was just a nice place!

1  Thank emnye

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We are visiting Houston and wanted to spend an afternoon at the beach. We went to Stewart because it seemed family friendly from the TripAdvisor reviews. All four of our kids (ages 11, 6, 4, & 2) had a great time playing in the sand and splashing in the water. It was a great area--mostly families, no obscene dressing, no alcohol, etc.--to take the family. There was some seaweed left from high tide, but the majority of the beach seemed to have been combed and was clear of the debris you might expect to see.

We did not use any of the amenities, so I cannot comment on those. We were pleased that we were able to take our own supplies, including food and drink, with no problem. No, the water was not as clear as Cozumel, but that is going to hold true for any beach along this area and my kids could have cared less. After all, we weren't there to dive, just to splash around and have some fun building sand castles. Great location for that. We'll probably go back before we head home.

7  Thank momof4invegas
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We went to Stewart Beach on June 2, 2011. I would think that with all of the people who pay $8 to park they could at least have an employee to tidy up the restrooms. There was no air conditioning and very little ventilation in the restroom/changing rooms. The toilets and floors were filthy and downright disgusting. The place smelled bad. I made my husband take us to McDonald's to change back into our regular clothes when we left. Nothing could make me go back in those restrooms!

On a positive note, the beach was clean and there was very little seaweed. The jumping fish were entertaining, as was a dolphin sighting (I hope that's what it was!).

There was a group of teenage girls who were trying their hardest (bless their hearts) to get the attention of a group of guys several umbrellas down the beach and they were yelling quite loud and using profanity in the process in front of children. They were also saying they wanted to make the boys' girlfriends jealous and saying they wanted to start a fight. It was annoying, but a few dirty looks quickly shut them down.

I think at our next visit we'll just use the free beaches. The walk from a parking place on the seawall and down the steps to the beach is comparable to how far we had to walk from where we parked our car on Stewart Beach.

12  Thank roadtripper40
Reviewed May 8, 2011

It's not the most beautiful beach or water, but my daughter has never been to a beach. She loved it. We brought a canopy to put up, so we drove further northeast on the beach (after entering - paid $8). It says no tents or shelters, but drive past the area with the rental umbrellas, and you can put up a canopy. Kids had fun (we went with some friends) playing in the waves, finds tiny oysters, and I found a few hermit crabs. Again, it's not Hawaii or Cozumel (or wherever you've been that has clear water). The water is murky and the beach was covered in some sea plant (seeweed or kelp?). I would do it again though. Some people brought a grill with them, so you could make it a fun day in the sun however you like. Regarding food, we brought a lot of snacks and only spent a few hours. However, if you are planning to leave and come back, then you will have to pay $8 again.

11  Thank Path0s
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We came in April when the beach wasn't very busy. There weren't any watersport equipment out but the concession at the beach was really handy. The bathrooms are in pretty rough shape though. There's also a subway and coffee shop right across the street. Stay away from the giant slide though. The guys who work it didn't seem that safety conscious and its ridiculously expensive. Its also very dirty. After we went on it the guy started walking around the beach with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth giving half price slides to everyone else trying to drum up business because no one was on it. Then they tried to offer my 8 year old a job helping them get kids to go on the slide in exchange for free slides all day. Who offers an 8 year old a job.

4  Thank csmom525