“Safari Room Retreat”

Avenue O Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Galveston B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was looking for a resonably priced but not your typical hotel room in Glaveston when I happened upon the Ave O B&B. It was a great find! It has seen its share of wear and tear but overall it was a nice place. It was quiet, the bed was really comfy, and the room was quaint if a little on the shabby chic side. What was truly over the top was the wonderful breakfasts!!! We stayed two nights and the breakfasts were both phenomenal and it was so fun to sit and share breakfast with the other guests. We also very much enjoyed the back yard - overgrown and full of flowers, exotic plants, gazebo, butterflies, hummingbirds - we had coffee outside each morning and it was lovely. The proprietress, Connie, was friendly, helpful, and organized!! She made sure we had everything we needed without being intrusive. This place is a great value - close to the new Pleasure Pier and the Strand!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara A
There are newer reviews for Avenue O Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Overall: this is a quiet B & B. I don't know if I would have picked it again since it has window A/C units. I did notice some dirty dishes but not to the degree that other people complained. Connie is pretty nice, she mostly you do your own thing and I thought the cookies in the room were a perfect touch. Don't expect to sit in the yard much, the mosquitoes were wicked bad! They were not a problem on our private deck though.
The breakfasts: HUGE and delicious, perhaps a little too much so... I'm not really used to starting my day out with a personal breakfast cake. It is really tasty.
We have been to some other B & Bs that were really upscale in the northeast that we were comparing to, but it is a good deal and perhaps a good way to escape the hardcore partiers/ noise on Galveston. We really liked the jacuzzi in our room (the Rainforest room) and the private deck. But I wouldn't come here for a honeymoon or anything.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tmchica
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not in the nicest part of town, there was some sort of weird bar on the next block. We rented 3 rooms (the euro suit, the sunshine room and the rainforest room). There was dust everywhere and the peeling wallpaper in the sitting room was painted over with green paint. The beds were comfortable. The room AC never really got the place cold enough.
THREE HUGE ISSUES:
in the "european suite" there is no fan in the bathroom. So, bathroom smells soon permeate the small space. Take a room spray if you are staying there or she should provide...
TWO- ALL of the dishes and cutlery was always dirty. the glasses had lip marks on them. The oj glasses were so worn and filthy it was kind of gross. We found a glass in the sitting room, it must have been there for a long while (it did not smell very good...)
I didn't feel to great eating off of any of the plates or cutlery.
THIRD- the breakfasts are HUGE CALORIE BOMBS. Ok, I give her points for trying but an entire loaf of bread dredged in butter pecans and sugar for breakfast (french toast) plus sugar laden fruit. yuck. I suppose you could ask her before you go what exactly is going to be for breakfast. Most in my party didn't eat it. to much sugar.
NEEDS A HUGE CLEANING by a cleaning service.... Ice in the room would be nice too (there is a little fridge but the ice part really needed some attention plus there was no ice tray). dishes in the room were filthy.

Room Tip: take room deodorizer if you stay in the euro suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tomuchtravel
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Whilst I've stayed in a lot of B&Bs in the UK, in the US they tend to be more expensive than I can afford without pushing the boat out a bit. The Safari Room at Avenue O was a great find! The room was decorated like the photos, with a very comfortable bed and great attention to detail on all the elements down to the cups, glasses and towels. Connie was a great host, attentive but also giving you your own space. Breakfasts were delicious, and the daily cookie was a sweet touch. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the shower would be a bit tricky if you are tall, but apart from that I had a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank les106
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Avenue O B&B was beautiful. Our room was exactly like the pictures including the two person jacuzzi. The breakfast the next morning was DELICIOUS! I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: The European Room is in a seperate building. Extra privacy :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I found Avenue O online and loved the rooms, I called and booked it for our wedding, we stayed in the Rainforest Room it was beautiful and everything was great. I didn't have a chance to come see the house before but was not dissapointed at all when we got here, on my wedding day everything looked so pretty I had a good breakfast made by Connie and a relaxing morning because she took care of every detail. I will never forget it and will be back for my anniversary. Thank you Connie for the making my wedding day special and the amazing cake so delicious.....also love the cookies. Rosaline & William Enriquez

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our one year and it was a very romantic getaway! We also enjoyed meeting the other guests that stayed there. The Bed and Breakfast experience is definitely the way to go when traveling as a couple :) Our hostess Connie was amazing and the different themed rooms were a delight and the breakfast was delicious! We also had a great time on the island lots to do!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Safari room and it gave a bit more privacy because it is separate from the main hou...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple