New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Howard Johnson Galveston

Howard Johnson Galveston
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
CO
“Good Value--VERY SLOW SHUTTLE SERVICE TO CRUISE PORT!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Howard Johnson Express-Galveston, TX is a very Good Value hotel. It is clean and the staff were helpful. There are train tracks near the hotel, however since our room was located more toward the main street...we were not disturbed by the train noise behind the hotel. Whereas if we had a room further back...I am sure we would've heard the noise. A basic continental breakfast is served, which was OK. A shuttle service from the airport to the hotel is provided. Park/stay/cruise package is provided also as stated by other reviewers.

2 main points for those who book this hotel should take in major consideration:

1.) This hotel is located in a very industrial part of town. There are NO restaurants or even fast food restaurants located within walking distance. Therefore, if you are without a car--- a taxi ride will be required to take you anywhere for a restaurant to eat...which is no less than a 10 min. cab ride = $$. However, I do want to mention there is a very nice gas station with mini-grocery store/hot (probably frozen) pizza cooked/sandwiches/coffee/soda fountain and microwave are available. Beer, limited types of bottles of Wine are sold. Delivery service from Pizza Hut is also available.

2.) The hotel does provide shuttle service to the cruise port, which cost us only $5.00 each. Not sure why other reviewers paid more? My (as well as 15 other hotel guest) main disappointment and problem with the shuttle service provided was: we had to wait 1 &1/2 hours before a shuttle picked us up at the hotel to take us to the cruise port, when told it would only be "15 mins. till the shuttle arrives". Between myself and 15 other hotel guest who were waiting for the cruise port shuttle to arrive...we had the hotel staff CALL the shuttle service (which is hired by Howard Johnson) 3 different times to check to see when the shuttle would arrive! We were continually told, "It will be there in 15 mins." We all noticed that the shuttle vans were continually going across the street to the shuttle's service main parking lot...which customers parked their cars at and were picking up those passengers and bypassing the hotel...where 15 hotel guest (including myself) were waiting for the pick-up shuttle. After waiting for 1 1/2 hours, I got so feed up with it all that I personally walked across the street...found the manger of the shuttle service and asked her to have a shuttle pick us up next. She insisted I (and the other 15 hotel guest) be patient and a shuttle would arrive in 15 mins. I let her know we had been waiting (which she was already aware of because the hotel staff called her 3 times) for 1 & 1/2 hours! She still insisted we all be patient a shuttle would be there soon. After she said that again to me, I then demanded that she call the next shuttle on her phone and tell him to stop at the hotel next, as I was standing next to her. She tried to worm her way around from doing this, but I was VERY persistent at this point and she did call the shuttle driver and told him his next stop should be the hotel. Within 5 mins.after I walked back to the hotel...the shuttle arrived to pick us up. I really do not think if I had not insisted that a call was made in front of me....that shuttle would've stopped for us and continued to pass the hotel again and not picked us up. I wanted to mention this incident in depth so others who are considering this hotel will take in account that this same thing could possibly happen to them when staying at the Howard Johnson Express-Galveston TX hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front for a quieter stay. Consider using other options to get to the cruise...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank monakayk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

First off, the main reason we chose this hotel is because they include free parking for your vehicle when you stay there before leaving on a cruise! The cost to park at the dock of Galveston runs anywhere from $50-$70, so having that included with the cost of the room is a great deal. No one messed with our car while we were gone for a week, it was a great environment.

There is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to the dock, a 5-10 minute drive for $10 per person + tips for baggage ($10 includes a free return trip). They had two shuttles running, and we were back to the hotel as soon as we were off the ship. Props to DCP Cruise Parking!

The front desk people were extremely kind, and the hotel had free Wi-Fi! The AC worked well, and the beds were comfortable Serta beds. The iron and board were handy pre-cruise, and the fridge was nice to have as well. Free continental breakfast was nice.

One Drawback! Bring earplugs! There is a nearby train that might bother you during the night, so be prepared and it is not a big deal. Very minor smoke smell in a non-smoking room.

Travel smart and safe! Best of luck to everyone!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have a great view! Good environment, so any room works!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple