“Simple and basic but OK.”

Howard Johnson Galveston
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This place is off the beaten trail but affords easy access to the cruise terminal and will let you leave your car there for the week with a permit from their office. Decent rooms with nice staff. We have been staying here for our pre-cruise night for years with no problems and have recommended it to friends and family. If you are on a budget, it is just fine. If you are on vacation in Galveston for any length of time, you might want to be closer to the action and the beaches. Our room was clean and quiet and at no time did we hear the guests on either side of us. We could hear noise from the parking lot at times, but not very much once the place filled up for the night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lajollamis

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Over Memorial Day weekend, a group of us ( 3 families of 4) went to Galveston for a family beach trip. All of the rooms in Galveston were outrageously priced and we ran across a good bargain on this hotel. Read the review and we all were a little skeptical. To our surprise, the hotel suited us just fine. Rooms were clean, decently furnished, management were friendly and although all rooms were filled, it l was pretty quiet around the hotel. I would put it in the Motel 6/ Super 8 category. It is a little out of the way but only 4 minutes to the pier/strand and about the same to the seawall (depending on traffic) Would definately stay again

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank wandacraig3
Reviewed February 27, 2011

In my room (#114) at the end of playing tourist, I turned the TV on and relaxed on the bed. I initially thought the radio was on because I could hear something that wasn't the TV. I turned off the TV and realized that I could clearly hear and understand the people in room 115. It was if they were in the same room with me. I complained to the manager about Midnight and was told that I could switch rooms in the morning. At 1:30, I complained again and he came to the room to see what the problem was. He came into the room and listened to the conversation next door. He told me the wall was plywood, that he would go over there and ask them to "speak more slowly." I put that down to his problem with the English language. He then (quite rudely) told me that he could switch us to another room, but that on Saturday night they were going to be full and that if I had another problem, I could "survive or check out". His words, not mine. The other room was quiet and we were able to go to sleep. The day manager asked me the next morning if we had any further problems because of the "argument next door in 115". I him that it had not been an argument, just a normal converstion, and that it was still completely audible in the room next door. His night manager had incorrectly reported the problem to him.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank PlywoodWalls
Reviewed July 2, 2009

i chose the place for free parking, didn't care for there room, didn't care for them watching my car... For cruise parking I recommend LIGHTHOUSE PARKING (http://www.lighthouseparking.org/)
I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for and I don't expect much from a room. All I need is a place to sleep and shower... BUT this place was the worst! There was an annoying musky odor lingering in the air... it turned out to be the carpets. My theory is, carpets got soaked and the easy fix was to let them air dry and then mask the odor, as opposed to replacing them. (seems convenient to blame it on hurricane ike). It was so disgusting that I went to both gas stations in search of Lysol/Glade/anything.
I went to bed just waiting to get up, shower and get the heck out.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cruisintexas
Reviewed March 1, 2009

From the hotel clerk, Mustag who greeted us with a friendly smile and was very polite, to the room itself we were very pleased. We found the room to be very clean and had all the comforts of home, from the comfortable bed with plenty of pillows to the microwave/refrigerator/iron/blowdryer, oh, and the massaging shower head. We travel alot, and have stayed in many hotels, we found this one to be rated an A+

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dejadu
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We stayed at the hotel with three small children. The location is convient to I-45. Not close to the ocean, but nice considering its not on the seawall. The employees were very nice, and even offered me milk for our baby. The accomodations worked for what we needed. The room was clean. The motel is near three different gas stations which is nice if you need anything last minute. I didn't appreciate the train's wistle blowing at 2:00 am, but you get what you pay for. Other than the noise from the gas station and the train, all was good. Keep in mind we enjoyed the peace and quiet (other than the above stated) but it was off season.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank firemama650
Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I booked the Howard Johnson Express for the Saturday night of the first weekend in November at a rate of $99.99. I called back the next day and added the Friday night at a quoted rate of $79.99. We arrived late Friday and I did not realize until check out that I was charged $99.99 for both nights. The desk clerk on duty called the manager at home and handed me the phone upon which he proceeded to tell me that he never did quote me the $79.99 rate. I had it written down in two separate places and I explained to him that I would never have misunderstood him. It was not the $20 that made me upset, but the principle. He went on the say that the $99 rate was a cheaper rate due to the fact that we stayed for 2 nights. I promptly reminded him that I originally was only staying for the Sat night and had been given that rate from the very beginning. He would not back down from the $99 per night which was already charged to me. I called Howard Johnson's corporate # the day after we returned home and was told that they would contact the hotel and that someone would be back in touch with me within 7 days. It has been over 3 weeks and I did not receive a call from anyone so I called the corporate # again today only to be told AGAIN that they would look into it and someone would contact me shortly. I do not recommend this hotel and not just because of the overcharging - it is not in a very good location, bad parking situation, train track apparently to the rear of property so noise wakes you up early, ice machine not working, and basically no amenities. If you just want a bed to sleep in, then this may be for you, but be careful of the price you are quoted vs what you are actually charged.

Stayed: November 2006