“Such a beautiful castle!”
Review of Bishop's Palace

Ranked #2 of 103 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Bishop's Palace (a.k.a. Gresham House) is a contributing building in the East End Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the national level of significance in the area of architecture. Architectural historians list the Bishop's Palace (Gresham House) as one of the most significant of Victorian residences in the country.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Bishop's Palace is so beautiful. Everytime I see this place I'm in awe. However, this was the first trip that I actually got to tour it. It costs $10 to take a tour of the first 2 floors. They only open up the other part of the house occasionally. They were going to do that the next day, but we had a cruise we had to go on, so we didn't get to do it. However, we loved the $10 tour which includes a handheld device where you can put in the number of the room you are in and it will tell you some history. The woodwork and stained glass is beautiful.
It was worth the $10 to my daughter & I to go through the house.

1  Thank Okiegal59
There are newer reviews for Bishop's Palace

Reviewed January 27, 2014

What a fun thing to do, we took a tour of the old home and it was interesting and a bit jaw dropping when we saw the interior of the home. Our guide, Carla was superb. We even enjoyed the gift shop at the end, picking up a magnet of the mansion.

1  Thank ShawnMarie
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We visited Galveston in a rainy December day. The rain and wind brought us into this historic building and the self-guided tour is quite informative. Both my teenage kids enjoy it. It is the second time we visit a "Palace", and the last one is Lolani Palace.

1  Thank Pipilin
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I could only talk my husband into visiting one of the historic homes in Galveston, thank goodness we ended up at Bishop's Palace! This home takes you back to the "good ole days" of craftsmanship from true artists, only afforded by the most wealthy. Truly, the woodwork and stained glass windows are absolutely gorgeous. Even on the dreary day we visited, the light from the stained glass was more beautiful than you can imagine. We took the guided tour, which I highly recommend, and our tour guide was so knowledgeable. Not only did we learn interesting facts about the home and it's construction, he knew lots of facts about Galveston itself and the flood history. I cannot imagine raising a family of small children in the home, but that is the fun of it - going back in time to another era. I highly recommend it, so glad we visited!!

1  Thank LlanoSher
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We took the docent-guided tour and highly recommend it. The docent makes the historic home and the Gresham family & Bishop come alive. Just acquired from the Catholic Church in April, 2012, it is a restoration in progress. You can purchase combination tour tickets for here and the Moody Mansion, saving a few dollars for the combo. The interiors of the first and second floors are awe-inspiring. Well worth the price of admission. You can take a headphone audio tour at any time or the guided tour offered three times during the day. We felt the guided tour would be better and imagine it is. They do a "basement to attic tour" on certain Saturdays which includes the third floor, turret and basement which we did not see. The Galveston Historic Association owns it and is funding the renovations. As time goes on, the home will acquire more furniture and restorations will more accurately reflect the original condition of this historic landmark.
The basement gift shop is worth browsing and sells unique quality items.

1  Thank bsmith45