“Magnificent Home”

Ranked #2 of 101 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Bishop's Palace (a.k.a. Gresham House) is a contributing building in the East End Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the national level of significance in the area of architecture. Architectural historians list the Bishop's Palace (Gresham House) as one of the most significant of Victorian residences in the country.
Fairview, Texas
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Magnificent Home”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Buy the Broadway Beautiful combo ticket for both the Bishop's Palace and the Moody Mansion for the best value. Our tour guide was very knowable. The Catholic Church is selling it and I hope the Historical Society is able to raise the money to purchase the mansion.

North Richland Hills, Texas
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Very cool house”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First of all, get the combo package for this and Moody Mansion. It's worth it and saves money. Give plenty of time for both. It was interesting to find out this house was purchased by the Catholic Church for a bishop, hence the name. The tour is only for two floors but they offer an extended tour that is the entire house, last three hours, and is only on certain days and there is a waiting list so check in advance. The house itself is very cool to see. Parking is limited to the street.

McKinney, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“beautiful house”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had no docent on the day we visited and I'm not a big fan of the recorded wand, but the house is beautiful and speaks for itself. I just think that a good tour guide can really bring an old house back to life.

Holly Lake Ranch,TX
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A Great Look at the Past!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have visited the Bishop's Palace on two occasions ans enjoyed it immensely each time. The architectural designs and innovations are amazing! .But the most amazing aspect of the home is the sheer elegance and beauty! Guides take you in small groups at a relaxed pace and are very informative and friendly even in the extreme cold of our first visit. Second visit was more enjoyable due to favorable warm weather. A must visit in Galveston!

San Antonio, Texas, USA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Big and Beautiful”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I arrived early on Monday morning and was offered the self guided tour with headphones. If I would have wanted a tour guide, then I could come back later. I opted for the self guided tour and was glad I did. I went at my pace and could enjoy some areas longer than other areas of interest. Yet, all of it was magnificent. A docent stayed on the first floor as I walked around each floor. Before returning to the basement, where I entered and exited the mansion, I stopped and asked the docent a few questions. She offered some great insights, which enhanced my visit. Two days later before leaving Galveston, I returned to the gift shop. The staff was very kind and the mansion was gorgeous.