“Went back to try more”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Great seafood and service. Grilled red snapper, fish tacos, oysters, onion rings, seafood platter, were all good. Wish we had time to go back and try more

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We decided to try the Black Pearl based on previous reviews and we weren't disappointed. It's a "seat yourself" place, or at least was on Sunday evening, and only two tables were available, which was a good sign that this is a place people like going to.

We ordered drinks - the margarita was very over-sweet, but the bloody mary was very good.

I ordered a cup of gumbo which came out not in a cup, but in a bowl with garlic bread - way more than I expected. I wouldn't have ordered anything else if I'd realized how generous their servings are (though another reviewer had mentioned it). I did though. I also had the crawfish po-boy. Another truly HUGE serving - lots of crawfish piled onto a split baguette, and a big mound of really good coleslaw on the side.

My husband ordered the catfish dinner with salad and onion rings. It also came with two boudin balls. He said he really liked the catfish and that the rings appeared to be homemade and tasty. However, this serving too was really large. Needless to say, we took home enough food for another meal.

The service was really slow, but in their defense, they seemed understaffed. Perhaps they underestimated how much traffic they would have on Mother's Day evening.

All in all a good experience. We'll probably stop here again when we're in Galveston.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a Locals type spot just off the Strand in Downtown. Someone suggested it to us and WOW. It has now become one of our go to stops when we run down to Galveston for an afternoon or evening.
Great Flavorful Dishes. The Gumbo serving is HUGE.
Tip- Lunch menu is good, but ask to see the Dinner menu.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is located near the Strand. We were able to get in fairly quickly and my husband and I split the fried seafood platter. The amount was plentiful and everything was great flavor. Best fried okra we have ever had, as well!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This place is certainly individual and is a relief from the massive chain food restaurants (chain food barns) that line the interstate highways in many US cities (think Houston). The menue offers the usual sea food dishes - mostly deep fat fried - found in sea food restaurants, but here at 25% less than in Houston. We each had a dozen raw oysters and then split the deep fat fried craw fish (great!) and crawfish etoufie. We thought the latter was not up to what we had been used to. The choice of craft beers on draft was very good for a regular restaurant. I had Black Butte Porter which was quite taste and a lot better than in the bottle.