“Great spot on the seawall”

Brick House Tavern + Tap
Ranked #63 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Love the view and in the fall/spring/winter sitting by the outdoor fireplace and having lunch after playing.

Good: Their deviled eggs, bleu and white chips, soft pretzels, burgers, fish & chips, prosciutto wrapped meatloaf, turkey club, yard bird sandwich, and Philly cheesesteak.

Not so good: Nothing, tastewise. Mac & Cheese is very good, but definitely not what I'd call "man size" for the price.

Decent selection of beers on tap and in bottle. Nice interior, but usually sit on the patio to enjoy the surf and people-watch. Dogs are welcome on the patio, too, which is very nice.

Service is very hit or miss. I've had excellent and really lacking. Don't be in a rush and you'll enjoy it more.

1  Thank HTownReviewer

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Burgers are to die for! Had the pretzels too yum! Land shark is a really good vacation beer choice! Get it in a half or full beer bong!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

To be fair, we went during happy hour when appetizers are $5. The fried zucchini was a wad of somewhat fried but raw dough. The Duck wings were okey but a little too sweet. The fried olives also had a sweet sauce that I guess was supposed to balance the saltiness of the olives. Finally, the salmon which was chilled did taste good but it was overcooked. As usual the beer tasted fresh and the staff was great.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

The atmosphere was nice, the food was good and the staff were friendly. Overall I had a great experience.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Not to say that birds are a bad thing, I just personally don't enjoy them one foot from my plate of food or watching them crap on other tables. But it's an outdoor patio so if you know they're going to be there when you go in, it's all about adapting for the experience. They do allow dogs on the patio. I'm a dog person, so the ones that were there in the laps of their owners (there were two in the outdoor dining patio) didn't bother me. I can see how other tourists would not be pleased to spend a vacation meal with canines, though.

We chose Brick House as a dinner spot on a Friday evening because of the location on Seawall and view of the gulf. Happy hour drink specials were good, and we enjoyed $1 Lonestar and Shock Top beer served to us in cans in little brown paper bags. A little kitschy, but okay. Service was extremely slow on the drinks, so we ordered a new one each time one was brought so we would be sure to get the happy hour prices. I ordered the greek lamb burger which seemed to be a good recommendation based on other reviews I have read. It came out green. I took two bites, had to sit for a minute to adjust to the amount of basil in the burger, and then it fell apart. Visually unappealing and I couldn't stomach the taste. I reported this to our server and he said something about them making it wrong for years and now they were trying to make it correctly and they had someone new in the kitchen and....I stopped listening after the first excuse. He did offer to have something else made for me, but luckily my son had ordered the Drunken Chops which were HUGE and absolutely delicious, so I shared with him. The manager came around and apologized, again said something about a new cook, and took the meal off of the ticket. I was fine with that and I did go away full since I had chops and had my fries from my plate as well. My husband thought his burger was 'meh,' and the other teenager loved his pastrami sandwich.

The worst part was the noise. We were seated at the end of a long table (me, my husband, and two teenage boys). At the other end were three very loud, obnoxious, gradually getting drunker, women. This seemed more like a place to watch the superbowl rather than have a meal as a family.