“Fun experience - definitely priced right.”

Galveston - Port Bolivar Ferry
Ranked #1 of 109 things to do in Galveston
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Since the ferry ride is free, you obviously can't beat the price. Although we have traveled on ferries before, this was our first experience with a vehicle ferry. Staff was professional with an eye toward safety, but also made sure us "tourists" enjoyed the experience. We wanted to take our kids when they joined us in Galveston, but time and weather did not permit.

1  Thank Allison399
Write a ReviewReviews (3,465)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"ship channel"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Galveston Ferry is an enjoyable ride across the bay the Bolivar Peninsula and back. Even when the lines are long, if you just want to ride across and back you can park your car and walk on. The upstairs is even airconditioned inside. Great views of the bay, ships, dolphins (usually) and birds.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We love to travel on the ferry. It gives the kids a great experience. It's fun to bring a loaf of bread for the seagulls, the seagulls will eat the bread right out of your hands. The kids love it, the staff is always friendly, and it makes for great pics!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Open 24/7. Parking was free as was the ride. I love free! There is plenty of space and bathrooms. I saw one dolphin shortly after we departed and so we were on dolphin patrol afterwards both there and back. The sunset was gorgeous!!! There was inside seating, but I wish there were more. I thought we would have to exit and re-board for the return trip. But we were able to just remain on the ferry.

I am glad I got a chance to see it before the recent oil spill. I pray that all is restored so that I can enjoy the ferry on my return visit. I think it is a must do while visiting the area.

If they ever build a bridge, I hope they keep the ferry open for those who enjoy the water ride.

**after a short while small children may get bored, feel free to bring something to keep them entertained for the brief ride back to land. Even if short, a whining crying child can spoil even a free trip for other riders.**

**There may be one small bench near the entry site. Otherwise expect to stand in line while waiting for the next boarding.**