“Fun!”

Galveston - Port Bolivar Ferry
Ranked #1 of 109 things to do in Galveston
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Lots of Dolphins to see! Everyone, young and old will definitely like this!

This is one of our families absolute favorite attractions when we visit Galveston.

1  Thank peakload
Write a ReviewReviews (3,455)
All reviews
"ship channel"
"seawolf park"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved seeing the dolphins as we took a ride (back and forth) on the ferry. We parked our car and just stepped on. It was a nice little ride - super quick. Beware, some ferries (upstairs) are not air conditioned!Enjoy the view!

1  Thank kbloomh
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a legitimate way that locals travel between Galveston and Port Bolivar (where Fort Travis is located). It is part of the TXDoT (I don't think it's technically meant to be a tourist attraction - although tourists are allowed). You can get on by foot, or by car. If you're going to see the fort, you need your car because it's a mile away or so.

I didn't think the directions for walking off the ferry were very clear, but maybe I missed them because we actually drove on, then me and my two boys wanted to walk off (my husband drove the car off). I found out from a passenger who was waiting to depart in his truck (as the ferry was docking) that if I was walking off, I needed to be in a certain area and that they let the walkers off first.

It really is hit or miss as far as seeing the dolphins. We saw them both there and back, but they were not very active either time. We went around 2pm.
Definitely bring a camera to catch the dolphins flipping around if you can, but be careful because you might get wet. We got wet from Bolivar back to Galveston, standing at the front of the boat.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a fun way to get from Galveston to Bolivar Peninsula, and it is free! Depending on when you go, you may have to wait in a sizable line to get on the ferry, but once you are on, it is a fun ride over. If you drive on, you can get out of your car and walk around. It is fun to see the large cargo chips starting up the channel to the Port of Houston, and if there is a cruise ship leaving, that is quite a sight as well. Once you cross to the Bolivar side, there is an old fort that you can explore, and, if you have time, you can drive the long way back along the coast through Winnie, back into the Houston area. Otherwise, you can turn around and head back on the ferry to Galveston.