“Overpriced, under serviced and pretentious”

The West End Restaurant & Sandbar
Ranked #101 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The food was pretty good, but not worth the prices they were charging. Also took over 45 minutes to get our food after ordering, but we should have known that after it took 10 minutes for a waiter to acknowledge our existence. Overall it was kind of a ripoff.

2  Thank Ukrainetrain52

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a small local place within the Sea Aisle community, on the bay side.

The eating area is probably around 1000 sq ft; fairly small. On a Saturday, was fairly noise ( it was full ).

That all being said, my Snapper ( pecan crusted with crab topping ) was to die for. Excellent. Wife's chicken entree was excellent. Service wasn't perfect, but I'll be back. There is also a small outside area you can eat at, as well as the Sandbar ( limited menu ) below which had someone playing .

Reviewed July 28, 2011

One of the few restaurants located on Galveston's west end is a real gem. It is located at the marina in Sea Isle with both inside and outsdie dining options. There is a full servcie bar on first level that offers burgers and such as an options.
Menu is adequate and prices competative with other Galveston restuarants. Our group had the fried shrimp, fried oysters, gumbo and drunk chicken. All were very well prepared.

You will need reservations for Friday and Saturday nights 7 -8:30 time slots

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have been to this restaurant many times, but never under this name. Back when it was Richards on the Bay, we always enjoyed it. Since then, I would have to give it mixed reviews, but now, I think it has a chance again. Tonight, I was not real hungry, but I checked out the menu and had a nice glass of Malbec ($8) which was very nice. The wine list was short, but very adequate, and a nice selection available by the glass in case you are alone and/or driving! I found an appetizer that sounded about right for my appetite and it was very nicely done... four large shrimp wrapped in bacon and jalapeno with a tasty sauce under each piece. I know... shrimp with red wine (so sue me). But I enjoyed them both, and as others have said, it is not a big place, but intimate is a good description. Biggest disappointment on the menu... no baked potatoes! The web site shows dishes with baked potatoes, but my waiter said the abandoned them due to lack of kitchen refer space for all the toppings, etc. I sat right by the kitchen door and everything I saw come out (mostly seafood dishes) looked and smelled great! Until I have a real entree, I'll keep my rating at a 4 out of 5. One other thing. The waiters seemed to be really stressed trying to keep up with things. That means lack of training or too many tables per person. This could be a real gem with the right crew that can purvey the laid back style this place should have!

Of the other reviews I read, I was surprised to see some thought West End was expensive. Don't know where they were from, but West End was competiitively priced with anywhere I've eaten in Texas other than fast food joints. Seafood dishes were in the $18-$25 range. Filet Mignon was $32 with vegatable and starch... Salad $5 more. So you be the judge. I will give it two $ compared to what I have been seeing.

I'll be back in October and hope to see those baked potatoes back on the menu!

3  Thank JPINSA
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The West End Restaurant and Sandbar is located at the marina in the Sea Isle subdivision about 20 miles SE of Galveston. The Sandbar downstairs has two large flat screens for sports and a full bar with fans to help in the summer heat. Upstairs, the restuarant has about 20-25 tables complete with white linen cloth and wine glasses overlooking the Sea Isle marina boat slips.

I've been to this restaurant and bar 10 times since they opened last year and over this period tasted a wide variety of their menu and drinks.

Pros: The Freshest Seafood: Fried or Grilled Shrimp, Redfish, Flounder, Crab
Shrimp Kisses: Jalapeno and cheese wrapped shrimp.
Good Wine selection
Setting: Sunsets, boats and being on the water.
Large Portion Sizes
Bread with Honey butter served before the meal

Cons: Service can waver between excellent and average. This may be due to their location in West Beach and the arrival/scheduling times of staff. They didn't lose points for this because the two or three times we had to wait was because the hostess was late getting to work. Once we were seated the service was great.

Margaritas and pina coladas need some tweaking and taste too much like a mix.
At times late at night the bar can become overrun by locals and there are some interesting characters in Galveston.

Special tip: If you order the fish tacos at lunch you'll receive two, if you order them at dinner you'll receive three for the same price....they may have changed this by now but as of a couple months ago they had not.

3  Thank 35000ft