Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed December 31, 2010

comfy beds & pillows, very clean, great breakfast, eggs, sausage, potatoes, oatmeal,
various pastries & bagels, waffles, fruit, juices but breakfast area gets very crowded, not
enough seating. stay over christmas. spouse likes to stay up late so we got a suite, couch/chair with tv, able to close door so I could go to bed early. Did hear noise from rooms next to us, mostly kids playing/running & what seemed like a lot of doors slamming. That seem to die down after 10pm with no problems going to sleep. Small patio with what I describe as a side view of the gulf. Staff pleasant. Never heard any club noise. Overall like the hotel except little noisy at night.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank raven_84

Reviewed December 27, 2010

We stayed there for one night pre-cruise. The hotel itself is very clean and in good condition. The fitness centre is small, but Ok with good eliptical machines. The pool is indoor, but extremely small and gets crowded and noisy.
The early check-in was not available. The front desk employees could have been nicer. They were not rude, but had hard time going the extra mile.They seemed shocked when I asked if we could have our luggage stored till the check-in, but did store it for us.
The location is on Seawall, but in quite rundown area. Not pleasant at night.
We had a gulf view from our balcony. The view included a ghost of the hotel on the water which was most likely damaged by IKe.
Breakfast was good.

1  Thank northernreflection
Reviewed December 27, 2010

The Country Inn and Suites in Galveston, TX is in an ideal location for a family vacation; however, integrity and service was lacking during my visit. A suite was booked for 5 nights. The hotel’s amenities are par for the course for a Hotel of this price range. The problem began upon check out. We decided to leave early and return home due to approaching bad weather. We attempted to check out a day early after the 4th night. The Front Desk Clerk states at this time states that she is not able to check us out early since the original reservation was for 5 nights and that since she already had credit card information from the online reservation our card would be charged for the 5 night stay regardless of whether we stayed for or not and that no early check out is allowed. She stated she would in no way acknowledge our check out in any way and that was the policy. We asked to see the policy on several occasions and were refused each time. We called the national office of County Inns and Suites: Carlson World Wide. We were told there was no such policy exists and that this was an arbitrary choice of the franchise holder. The representative of Carlson World Wide advised that we simply dispute the charge which we have done. This speaks to a lack of integrity and honesty on the part this franchise owner and I would recommend that any fellow traveler give great thought before booking a hotel stay at this location.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Travelguy9945
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a one night stay in a jacuzzi suite. Our room, 307, was beautifully decorated and very clean. Our king sized bed was super comfortable. We had a balcony view of the beach and seawall. The jacuzzi is an oversized tub that comfortably fits one adult. It is situated in the corner of the bedroom and was very relaxing after a busy day. This was our first stay at a Country Inn and Suites and will not be our last. The hotel was very new and nicely decorated. We did not partake in the free deluxe breakfast because the hotel was very full due to Dickens on the Strand and there was a large crowd in the lobby and breakfast area. We were very satisfied with our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a comfortable stay at a hotel one block from the seawall. Hotel was exceptionally clean and I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness. They did also have a nice indoor pool and hot tub as well as a work out room. If you choose this hotel you will not be sorry. I can honestly say it was one of the nicest moderately priced hotels that we have ever stayed at. The only minor flaw that I could point out was a stain on the carpet close to the bed and desk. No biggie but too bad since it's such a new hotel. One other minor nuisance was there is a latino nightclub next to the hotel and it did get rather loud from the music. This is not the hotels fault but if you're traveling with young children or are a light sleeper I would recommend a higher level room or a room that faces the parking lot to avoid the noise from the music. It didn't bother us but was definitely noticeable on a Saturday evening. Next time you're in Galveston check out this nice, new, clean hotel! You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2snorkel0524
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Our stay in Galveston took us to the Country Inn & Suites. I chose this hotel because it was near the Seawall and centrally located. You couldn't beat the low price. The breakfast was more than just a Continental breakfast. It also included eggs, sausage, potatoes and waffles. The building was new so the furnishings are very nice.
The hotel says that each room has a balcony, but one side does have a view of the gulf and the other side has a view of the parking lot. The balcony is very small so we didn't use it.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

Unable to control temperature via thermostat. Room stayed 70-73 no matter what. My wife was very cold. The wall unit AC was not operating at all.

There was no in room directory of services book. When I asked for one at the front desk, I was given a printout of TV channels instead.

The room was way overpriced but there was a biker convention in town and I guess management wanted to capitalize off of us. I had no other choice since I was doing an overnight waiting on my cruise and all other hotels were booked or charging even higher for a simple room.

They made me believe we were going to get a real buffet breakfast, instead we got what I would expect to get at a Days Inn. For $247 a night I expected a little more.

Will not stay again unless prices come considerably down.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

The Country Inn is new, but I am sure it will be a success. We had a lovely room with a balcony and sea view - spotted dolphins from there. Very comfy bed. Microwave, fridge, free wireless Internet, etc. Service was good. Location was excellent - just over the road from the beach, and in walking distance of lots of bars and restaurants. If I had one complaint it would be the use of disposable polystyrene plates and cups, and plastic cutlery, at breakfast. I have since discovered this is quite normal in mid range US hotels, but as well as not being very nice, it's incredibly wasteful and harmful to the environment.
The hotel cost us $70 plus tax - an absolute bargain. Stay here - you won't regret it. Oh, and be sure to go to Gaido's seafood restaurant (on an empty stomach) it's fab.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple