“Thankful they were nice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
“Thankful they were nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

After staying 2 days in hell at La Quinta East. I was alone on vacation with two young kids on July 4 th weekend. I didnt have reservations and thought our trip would be over, we were immediately assisted after explaining my horror story and they even apologized gor them. I was hiven a room at a normal rate and we stayed there happily for the follow five days and redid our entire trip in peace. From now pwn i will stay here.
My only suggestion would be to have carpet cleamed proffessional and pethaps rpoms deep cleaned a little better.
Breakfast is good and pool well kept.
Staff was nice and people staying there were also quite. Location is great and views are great also has easy access to mostly everything. I dont recommended The Spot or the Barefoot Bar....

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice. Both times were wonderful. This time, however, was much different.We stayed 5 days,the first week of July.
The lobby and the hallways are clean. Our room was not clean. All the floors were filthy. Stains all over and smells musty. You can tell they vacuum VERY quickly and only in the main traffic areas. There was trash and debris all along the baseboards, around the furniture/tables and under the beds and in every corner.There was a fist hole in the closet door (like someone had punched it in with their fist). Bathroom "looked" clean, but wiping up water from the shower the washcloth was black. I always take Lysol wipes when traveling, and you will need them in this hotel.
Housekeeping knocked on our door EVERY morning before 9am, even though our do not disturb sign was up. On the first morning, it took me a little bit to get to the door as they knocked. (wasn't dressed obviously) They used their key to start coming into the room!!
When I stopped her from opening the door, it was obvious they woke us up, She said "I come back" and she was VERY rude. So, we kept the doors locked from the inside for the remainder of our stay. Good thing we did, because like I said earlier...Housekeeping knocked on the door EVERY morning before 9am. Also, every day housekeeping had children with them who were working. I assume it was their own children, and it was the same kids everyday. (we stayed 5 days). The kids were in the rooms and hallways with the workers, and coming in/out of the "housekeeping" door off the lobby. Carrying trash, linens, etc. Certainly not professional for the hotel to allow that, and also thinking its not legal!

My husband went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. "She" (no name given) is not here" was always the response. Multiple attempts to speak to manager, no luck.Always just ONE employee at front desk, obviously in charge of everything. Maybe that person is overwhelmed? Maybe that's why they are so rude? Only employee who was always kind, smiling and willing to assist was a young man named RK. Always pleasant. The other employees,all of them, were just plain rude if you asked for anything. Don't bother asking for a manager, there isn't one!.
Breakfast: Barely acceptable. Make a waffle, it's the only fresh thing you will eat. The cereal and bread was stale. Large container of yogurt had 2 dead flies in it. The staff inside the breakfast area was very unfriendly.Not one smile, or pleasant look from them. They act like they are hating being there. I understand they may not speak my language, but a smile is universal. One morning, it was VERY packed with guests. An employee was standing at the waffle maker, I assumed making waffles for guests. There was a line of people waiting. She was stacking the waffles up, and then took them inside the employee room. Guests should be first.
The pool/hot tub: just avoid it! It was green and obviously not kept up to standards for a public pool.
We were all so disappointed. With it being the week of July 4th, we thought the hotel would have been run better. Our previous stays the employees were wonderful, helpful and friendly. The breakfast was hot, fresh and good. All I can assume it that the owners/managers have changed and the current ones just do not care, which is reflected in their staff and the way hotel operates in every area. Based on other recent reviews, other guests have had similar experiences, and then some have had good experiences. Wish we knew what makes the difference!
We understand this is NOT a 5 star hotel. We didn't expect 5 star treatment. However, it is not a cheap hotel and we did expect a much better experience than what we had. For the same price we could stay at a better managed hotel just down the street. Also, the parking is not adequate for a hotel this size. Once you park, don't leave or you will lose your spot and have to park on the street. The neighborhood is bad, and there are bums ALL around the hotel. This part the hotel cannot help. Just make sure you don't go to your car alone, even during the day.
Next trip to Galveston, we will stay in a better hotel. Could be good...could be bad...don't want to chance it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank OkieatHeart D
Spring, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here several years ago and were satisfied. This time our stay of 3 days (6/28/14 - 7/1/14) was a different story. We booked 2 rooms. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. On check in, we found that the AC did not work in the other room Rather than checking it out personally, the maintenance man had us trouble shooting over the phone for 1/2 hour, finally changing rooms only when we insisted on it! That room was not made up on the second day.

This place has the worst breakfast. If you are planning on eating breakfast here, do it before 8 a.m. The staff apparently makes no effort to replenish the food. One morning the pastry, bagels, muffins even the white bread for toast was completely gone by 8 a.m. The staff finally replaced some of it, but only when I complained. The next morning, at 8 a.m., I asked about bagels and the staff brought out 3 in a bag, but did not bother to replenish it. The only fruit that I saw consisted of 2 apples and some semi-rotten tangerines. If you like yogurt - forget it - they did not put out any.

We checked out the small indoor pool, but did not use it, because it was dirty.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
1 Thank Craig379
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this response.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Hollister, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

After a terrible experience at this property ~ I took my complaint to the corporate level. At first I didn't think even that was going to do any good. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. Andrea was most helpful and understanding. After she looked into my complaint(s) about this particular hotel in their franchise chain ~ she agreed that a one night refund was deserved. She contacted the motel direct to try to see that this was done. They not only refuse their guests ~ they refuse to corporate advise as well. I received my check for the refund today from Carlson/TGI Friday's corporate office. Thank you, Andrea (corporate customer care) for proving that even if this particular property has no idea what customer service is ~ at least it is still present on the corporate level! Although I will never set foot in this particular establishment again ~ I will consider other Carlson affiliates in the future.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere-ANYWHERE but here!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, July 16, 2014

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Our family booked 2 rooms arriving on a Sunday.We travel frequently and have never had a problem checking in before 3pm at other chains(Marriott, Hilton, etc) This place refused to budge on that claiming they were "sold out" and no rooms were available yet. Yea right. There's only one person at the front desk handling several things at once. At check-in time, there should be at least 2, especially when you are telling everyone that comes in they can't check in until 3. Then at 3 you have a hoard of folks coming in, with one employee to handle the desk, plus phones which equals long waits for the guests. Both of our rooms had similar problems. The TV's never worked. We could either only get a few channels, or several that were all staticy. Maintanence was called, but didn't really do anything about it. I assume this problem is widespread over the whole hotel based on other reviews. Upgrade your satellites. Next issue was the carpet. Both rooms it was disgusting and stained. Doesn't look like it's ever been steam cleaned. Just gross. In one of the rooms, the fridge stopped cooling on the second day. We asked maid service for 6 sets of towels(6 in our party) they only left 4. No one available to bring any up so we had to go downstairs ourself to get them.The a/c vents were rusted, can only imagine what they look like on the inside. At night they seem to control the temp in your room. Couldn't get it to go any lower than 75. Only one of the washers in the laundry room was working. The "free" breakfast was decent. Eggs, sausage, breakfast potoates(only on 1 day) waffles you can make, cereals, juice, muffins, toast etc and a juice station. We will not stay here again unless the rate is super cheap. This hotel is not worth the rates they charge.

3 Thank Adriane P
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, June 27, 2014

Allen, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I am a Radisson Gold member and have been coming to the Country Inn and Suites the past several summers. We have always loved this property due to the location to the restaurants, historic pier and being across the street from the beach. This year was noticeably different. The staff was never friendly. Always only had one staff member at front desk to handle guests, check ins and the phone. Most times taking a phone call vs someone standing at the desk. Our first night was more than double our second night and the highest price we have ever had to pay at $320/+tax etc. But we still stayed here because we love this property. Well that was a mistake. The first night we didn't have sheets blankets or pillows for the sofa bed. I called and asked and he said I had to come down for them as he was the only one in the hotel. I made two trips. Once to get sheets blankets and another time to give me A Pillow. Said he couldn't spare more pillows which I thought was crazy but we made do. That night The TV in the living room only got 4 channels and the remote didn't work at all. The TV in the bedroom would go from clear to all static for no reason. Then we couldn't get the room to cool down. We lowered it to 69 and it never would click on. Just sat around 74/75 (which isnt terrible but in Galveston with the stickyness of the air - it made it quite unpleasant). So the next morning before 9a house keeping was banging down the door to clean the room. We asked them to come back as we were still sleeping. We went down to breakfast and I mentioned these problems to the front desk. She took my notes and said she would send maintenance up and let the manager know and have the manager reach out to me. I never heard from the manager but the maintenance guy came up and was so rude and blamed us for the TVs, remote and AC. It wasn't hotels fault. He was huffing around and wasn't helpful. So we left for the day to do many adventures. I let the housekeeping know we were done and to please clean our room. Returned at 6p and our room still wasn't clean. I called the front desk and asked why and he said he would have to check. I asked if we could at least have towels and he said we would have to bring the dirty ones down to exchange for clean ones. Again stating he was the only one in hotel. I then told him how upset I was with this hotel and the amount of money we were paying. He said he would bring the towels up in 5 minutes. It was at least 15 minutes (all four of us had finished showering before new towels were brought up) before we got towels. So on our way out to dinner to celebrate Fathers Day I stopped by the front desk to ask if our room was going to get clean. He said that house keeping said our DND sign was up all day. Which is not true. Which I was trying to explain when the GM came from the back office immediately escalating. Calling me a liar saying I was constantly harassing her front desk clerk and wouldn't let me speak. She then evicted us and called the cops on us. I wasn't trying to cause any problems and wasn't being absurd with her until she called me a liar. She then went back and hid from me and my family till the cops showed up. We were asked to leave had to go pack and evacuate the hotel. I have NEVER been treated so poorly in my life. I am so upset with the situation that I can promise you we will never return there again. We ended up having to pay for both nights and were actually charged almost $60 more than what they quoted us when we checked out. The extra $60 eventually dropped off after more than a week, claiming it was incidental holds. I filed a BBB claim and they are rated F by the Greater Houston/Galveston BBB. They arent accredited so they dont have to respond - so therefore they dont. I complained to Radisson/Country Inns corporate office and it took over a week and escalated to three different levels in order to get any help and they finally agreed to give me a refund for the second night. So I appreciate the fact that they FINALLY stood up and helped but this property has really gone downhill in just a year.

6 Thank klktag00
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guest. Kindly give me a call at the Hotel to discuss this further.
Hollister, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

The WORST experience in hotel "hospitality" I have EVER experienced. DO NOT STAY HERE!! I had called and made the reservation the day before due to a change of plans and location from where we were staying. I originally made the reservation for 3 nights. Upon checking in we told the front desk clerk (one of the most unprofessional in the business) that we would undoubtedly only plan on staying 2 nights instead of three and asked of that would be a problem. She (Candace) informed us that would not be a problem but to please inform them as soon as we could. Exact words "just let us know before the 11 a.m. check out time or as soon as possible prior to that." Upon taking stuff to our room ~ the first thing I 'recovered' and took the front desk were the cleaning rags left behind on the bedside table to which I got no apology just a chuckle and 'thanks' from the front desk clerk. Ok ~ so not a huge deal - YET. Went on about 'unpacking' and readying for our stay. We had some things to put in the refrigerator (I had called ahead of time to ensure that there were fridges in the room) only to find it HOT and not cool or cold. I guess my mistake on that part was a failure to ask if they had WORKING refrigerators vs NON-working ones. I called the front desk within 15 minutes of checking in to report this. I was told that you had to put things in first before it would cool down. Hadn't ever heard of that but thought "what the heck - I'll give it a try." After doing so and waiting about 20 minutes with no result ~ I called back to desk again and told them it was solid ice and frozen up. She said they would call maintenance and call me back. She did call back shortly and said they would be there in about 15 minutes. Another 40 minute wait ~ no one showed up. Called back to the front again - waited another 15-20 minutes - still no response or maintenance person. Then went to the front desk to report it AGAIN. Candace (front desk person) picked up the phone and supposedly called maintenance again and informed me they were at lunch and would be there afterwards. I told here we were going to eat and hopefully it would be fixed/addressed/switched out prior to our return or we would be requesting a different room. When we returned to our room 3-4 hours later to find that NOTHING had been done about it. By this time I was less than pleased to say the least. I returned to the front desk yet AGAIN and requested to be moved to a different room. By this time another shift person at the front desk had reported to work. He informed me he would bring another one to the room. He arrived about 15 minutes after that and switched it out with a working one. At that time I asked the name of the general manager and was told that her name was Dee. I had informed him that I would like to speak to her the next day and for her to please give me a call. I also informed him at that time that we would NOT be staying the entire 3 nights and would only be staying for 2 and to please modify our reservation accordingly. Next day ~ no contact from Dee or anyone else. We went to wash a load of laundry the afternoon/early evening of the second night to prepare for our departure only to find that the one washer (out of 2 available) did not work. The front desk clerk that was on duty at that time had no interest, care or concern and merely stated "they are contracted machines and we have no control over that - try the other one." Tried printing stuff in their "business center" to the printer set up in there - nothing would print to the printer provided - no paper. Went BACK to the front desk, asked for printer paper, and was informed that it was directed to print at the front desk. After numerous trips back and forth from the business center to the front desk to retrieve everything we had printed I informed them AGAIN that we would be checking out the following morning. Ok, now this is the THIRD time we have informed them that we would only be staying for 2 nights which was told to us "no problem" upon checking in. We ordered a pizza and called it a night after hanging our clothes all over the room to dry because after moving them from the washer to the dryer found out that not only do they not have working refrigerators or washing machines ~ the dryer also does not DRY your clothes - just tumbles and 'warms' them!! We got up early the next morning to check out ~ went to the front desk at 7:30 a.m. to do so and was informed that they didn't have to authority to check us out as we were not scheduled to leave until the following morning!! WTH?? I have NEVER heard of a hotel NOT being able to check you out!! I informed them that they had been informed NUMEROUS times that we would be checking out after 2 nights and NOT 3. I was informed we would have to speak with the manager (who wouldn't be in until noon) about the charges for the 3rd night that we wouldn't be staying but would probably be charged for them. I picked up a business card from the desk, asked again for the manager to call me, was assured she would, and left! After 4 hours and no contact I called the corporate office (Carlson Hotels) and informed them of the "issues" we had encountered. They said they would get with the motel regarding this and get back with me within 24 hours. 24 hours later - NOTHING. I have made NUMEROUS calls back to both the hotel AND corporate office regarding this matter. The last calls to the motel were made Monday afternoon after I had received an email from Dee (we checked out on Friday morning) and was informed each time - for approximately 2 hours of calling time that she was on a conference call. I called the corporate office yet again. The corporate office called the hotel directly for me and was told that she had left for the day. This was AFTER the front desk assured me that she would call me back THAT DAY as soon as she was done with her conference call! According to the business card I got from the front desk ~ Dimple Singh (Dee) is the general manager - according to the email I received from Dee she is the front desk manager - according to the corporate office she is the general manager, front desk manager AND the owner. She apparently wears too many hats and titles and is incapable of doing anything customer service, guest relation or hospitality type of work to succeed at ANYTHING besides ripping people off. I looked at my bank statement and was indeed charged for all three nights to the tune of $456!! Unacceptable and inexcusable and reprehensible!! They definitely have their own sort of scam going on here!

2 Thank DeAnn L
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2014