“It suits our purpose”

Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Austin, Texas
“It suits our purpose”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is our second year in a row but third or fourth stay at this hotel for a special occasion. I was disappointed we did not get a quiet fifth floor room on the east side of the building as requested, but we got a quiet fourth floor east side room instead. The view is still great, but we could hear the guest(s) in the room above walking. The refrigerator didn't feel cool upon arrival in the room. But when the desk clerk called to make sure everything was OK in the room, I mentioned the fridge & she said it's automatic or something and will work better once we put something in it. It did stay very cold during our stay. Upon check-in, we did have to sign a policy stating that we wouldn't smoke in the room and wouldn't have any pets. No problem for us. Also, they now give you a parking placard. I accidentally left the car unlocked one night but nothing was stolen. We generally prefer not to have housekeeping service if we don't stay very long and the staff was more than accommodating when we requested more towels and coffee. We didn't eat the breakfast offered at the hotel. We prefer to eat out and then go do our sightseeing. This time of year (week before Memorial Day), we get a great rate at the hotel. The view from the East side of the hotel is the best! You're right across Seawall Blvd. from the beach. You can walk a long city block to the Pleasure Pier and a restaurant or two. It's walking distance to our favorite bar, The Poop Deck. For the rate and the clean room and very accommodating staff, we will return.

Room Tip: Fifth floor east side of hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This hotel was just okay they charged us $30.00 for checking in one hour early on Mothers Day.
My siblings came by to visit my Mom and they charged us for 3 extra persons per room.
We had enough in lieu of spending the night at this hotel we went home did not even spend
the night. This was not a good experience for us considering we rented two suites. I have
stayed at this chain in other cities and never had this type of experience. The front desk is
a money grab and once you give them your credit card they will abuse it.

Room Tip: Ask for beach view otherwise you will face the roof
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post the review.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We are not against guest having visitors but we have to ensure that the safety and security of the registered guests is not jeopardized and we do advise our guests about the Hotel policies at the time of check in so as to avoid any confusions during your stay.

Sugar Land, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is really nothing special but also nothing very objectionable. The location is terrific - across the street from the beach and a short easy walk to the Pleasure Pier, which we could see from our balcony. The room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space. Breakfast is included but very, very basic...dry cereal, coffee and tea, requisite waffle maker, yogurt.

There's a small indoor pool and a hot tub which had really suspicious-looking blackish-green foam floating on its surface.

Staff was pretty indifferent and refused to extend my check-out time by 30 minutes (while I was traveling alone with my autistic son).

Also saw another reviewer post about how they asked for a credit card to "hold" the reservation but actually ran it immediately. I got an alert from my credit card company that the full cost of the room + tax was charge to my card about 2 hours before check-in, which I did think was odd.

We stay overnight in Galveston often; I chose this hotel for location and price. We prefer the Four Points by Sheraton a few blocks away, but it was about $40 more for the night of this stay. In the future, I'll probably just spring for the extra money to stay at the Sheraton but would consider Country Inn again if it were very inexpensive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I am writing this after I was refused service. I have never had a more worse experience of my life! I was treated like dirt and was kicked to the side with no refund and no explanation. First and foremost they asked for a credit card to hold in case any charges would occur, but they ran it right there without my permission which is against the law. Knowing I didn't have enough funds for such charges at the moment it got declined and they preceded to tell me they needed fifty dollars cash. They also never gave me a receipt in return after check in. I was visiting from out of town and wanted to invite my niece, my sister, and her husband. Well apparently it was a huge deal and was told that they were not allowed and would be charged ten dollars for each person that came to my room. Mind you, they were only there for thirty min tops. I tried to confront the problem by asking questions, but the clerk was very rude to me. My husband decided to go in person to see what was wrong and if we could get copies of forms we could signed. They never gave us a copy but showed us what we had signed. I know I was at fault for not reading it, but all you want to do after a long day is relax. I read it and it was fague, unspecific, and very weary on the details. After being pushed to the brinks my husband and I were irrate, tired, and mentally pushed to our limit. The clerk had the audacity to say WE were in the wrong and out of line. She called the cops and we were escorted out with no refund or explanation. I will be returning tomorrow to talk to a supervisor or manager. If I have to I will bring the law to the table. I work with a company that delivers some of the best customer service and I could not believe how badly we were treated. I won't even go into the clerk thinking a relative that was asking questions was me and gave out my personal information which I would have preferred to stay private. So disappointed because it is a nice establishment and I was already planning my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Maria C
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the stay at the Hotel. We have to make sure that the people coming in the property are registered guests so that the safety and security of the rest of the guest do not get jeopardized that is the only reason FD rep inquired about your guests, there were no extra charges put on your account. We do require a credit card on file for incidentals and every guest is advised at the time of check in about that. I would be glad to assist you if you have any further questions at 409-763-5000
Rayne, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay here. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Rooms were spacious and clean. Loved the balcony and the view of the Gulf & Pleasure Pier. Great Location. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Nicole R
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I'll start by saying I would stay here again, but not until I've stayed elsewhere a few times to see if this hotels mentality is the norm for a beach resort. A few months ago I arrived with a reserved room and wasn't very happy with the signing away of my rights document they have you sign and the front desk indifference but the room was clean. This trip, I arrived on Easter weekend with no reservation and started with this hotel to find a vacancy because it was what I knew. Again I was met with indifference and the signing of the additional document. I signed that I had to keep a placard in my vehicle at all times when parked in their parking lot or be towed, yet they "don't do that, they just have you give them the license plate number", so take that item off the list already! I had to initial that No furniture from the room can be moved onto the balcony, so asked for an additional patio chair....they don't have extras. The ice machine wasn't working so after waiting in line to ask about it, was informed the working ones were on the 3rd and 5th floors....hey, take 30 seconds to write a note and tape it to the machine! When I arrived our room door was ajar....instead of barging in the room, I retreated back to the front desk to question it....they looked at me like I was the idiot. There was a door right by my room that was a stairway exit, the sign should have said, "fire exit only, no street access" cause the only way out was to set off the fire alarm-we had to retreat back up the stairs to exit. It was Easter morning and I would have thought the hotel would have done just a teeny bit more than the normal, like a colored egg centerpiece or something....NADA. And I wonder why the lovely sidewalk from the parking lot has a fence across it within a few feet of doors to the front entrance, you have to step out into the vehicle drive thru area to access the door, what's with that? All in all, the aura of indifference gets me thinking that even though the hotel seemed clean and nice, maybe the rooms are only superficially cleaned? If I return to the area I'll be staying elsewhere, surely there is better?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank S S
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2014

First, I would like to say, I would have rated this hotel as average (3*) for an average stay, but, I took away a star for the insane list of about 12 paragraphs of rules that they want you to sign before checking in. In thousands of nights of hotels, I have NEVER seen this, and honestly it was overly irritating to have it pushed on you at the end of a long day. An occasional non smoking rule, or no party rule sure....but multiple paragraphs and initials to read and sign before checking in NO WAY. I refused to sign, they said they could not check me in. I pushed the issue, being nice to the front desk clerk but demanded the manager....who relented and checked us in without signing the form. I pictured Anthony from Hotel Impossible going crazy for this policy page. It is not like this is Hostel. I RARELY give 2* reviews, but it was earned in this instance.

To their credit, when I checked about a delivery that we were supposed to have, they checked into it, and surprisingly (and it was appreciated) brought it up to our room instead of calling us to come down and get it. Additionally, they did give us a room with a nice view of the water and Pleasure Pier like we asked. That being said we could not use the balcony because it was so filthy. Additionally, the balcony door would stuck shut so hard, my wife could not open it due to the repeated sticking of the door. I was barely able to open it.

Overall this Country Inn and Suites is in a great location, right near the seawall, walkable to the Pleasure Pier, as well as many restaurants including the Spot and its associated bars. Many rooms have balconies with views of the water and Pleasure Pier. We were in town for a night before our Thursday cruise departure. We knew the weather was going to be cool, so we did not care that the hotel did not have an outdoor pool. That being said if we were in town for a relaxing vacation, I would not choose this location since they don’t have an outdoor pool.

The rooms are clean, with the exception of the balcony, which was filthy with left over Fritos and the chairs were so filthy it was evident that they had not been cleaned in quite some time. Cleaning the chairs on a beach area balcony should be done before every check in. There was free parking available, which was not a problem when we got there mid afternoon, but we noticed people had to park across the street on the Seawall by the end of the night when we were walking back.

In the morning they had a pretty nice (for a limited service hotel) breakfast, but the staff was missing in action. Tables sat without being cleared for at least thirty minutes. Yes, guests should have cleaned up for themselves, but regardless.....the staff should have taken care of it. The food was nothing fancy, but totally acceptable. Their one computer for guest use was out of paper and they really did not seem to care when a guest mentioned it. (this was not me)

The room and common areas were clean and comfortable. The rooms have a small size fridge and microwave. The room has a comfortable King size bed but the pillows were some of the most horrid worn out pillows we have encountered lately. The rooms are pretty small, but are comfortable for two people. Carpet, furnishing's linens, and furniture are all clean. The climate control was a bit odd, as it was either always cooling or always heating, as well as it was a bit noisy. The room had the tiniest TV I have seen in a mid range hotel, and lacked any channel guide for the room. The free Wi-Fi service was easy to connect to and was relatively fast for a hotel. There were plenty of plugs to charge devices.

The bathroom was of an acceptable size, but the sink did not have a drain plug that made if difficult to safely take out contact lenses. .

They have a small but sufficient workout room They also have a computer in the lobby. The indoor pool seemed nice and also had a nice sized hot tub.

Check out time of 11am is a bit too early compared to other locations nearby that offer noon checkout.

Given the crazy check in list, I would probably not bother to stay here again, unless they reply that they have gotten rid of the list. Additionally, unless they are having an unusually low rate compared to their normal rate (which happened to be the case when we chose this location) we feel that there are a multitude of better options in the area.

Room Tip: Unless you want to sign ridiculous rules, just to stay in an average hotel, avoid this place.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pcsanity
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the concerns you shared regarding your check in experience. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We hope for another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations!