Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I'll start by saying I would stay here again, but not until I've stayed elsewhere a few times to see if this hotels mentality is the norm for a beach resort. A few months ago I arrived with a reserved room and wasn't very happy with the signing away of my rights document they have you sign and the front desk indifference but the room was clean. This trip, I arrived on Easter weekend with no reservation and started with this hotel to find a vacancy because it was what I knew. Again I was met with indifference and the signing of the additional document. I signed that I had to keep a placard in my vehicle at all times when parked in their parking lot or be towed, yet they "don't do that, they just have you give them the license plate number", so take that item off the list already! I had to initial that No furniture from the room can be moved onto the balcony, so asked for an additional patio chair....they don't have extras. The ice machine wasn't working so after waiting in line to ask about it, was informed the working ones were on the 3rd and 5th floors....hey, take 30 seconds to write a note and tape it to the machine! When I arrived our room door was ajar....instead of barging in the room, I retreated back to the front desk to question it....they looked at me like I was the idiot. There was a door right by my room that was a stairway exit, the sign should have said, "fire exit only, no street access" cause the only way out was to set off the fire alarm-we had to retreat back up the stairs to exit. It was Easter morning and I would have thought the hotel would have done just a teeny bit more than the normal, like a colored egg centerpiece or something....NADA. And I wonder why the lovely sidewalk from the parking lot has a fence across it within a few feet of doors to the front entrance, you have to step out into the vehicle drive thru area to access the door, what's with that? All in all, the aura of indifference gets me thinking that even though the hotel seemed clean and nice, maybe the rooms are only superficially cleaned? If I return to the area I'll be staying elsewhere, surely there is better?

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank S S

Reviewed April 22, 2014

First, I would like to say, I would have rated this hotel as average (3*) for an average stay, but, I took away a star for the insane list of about 12 paragraphs of rules that they want you to sign before checking in. In thousands of nights of hotels, I have NEVER seen this, and honestly it was overly irritating to have it pushed on you at the end of a long day. An occasional non smoking rule, or no party rule sure....but multiple paragraphs and initials to read and sign before checking in NO WAY. I refused to sign, they said they could not check me in. I pushed the issue, being nice to the front desk clerk but demanded the manager....who relented and checked us in without signing the form. I pictured Anthony from Hotel Impossible going crazy for this policy page. It is not like this is Hostel. I RARELY give 2* reviews, but it was earned in this instance.

To their credit, when I checked about a delivery that we were supposed to have, they checked into it, and surprisingly (and it was appreciated) brought it up to our room instead of calling us to come down and get it. Additionally, they did give us a room with a nice view of the water and Pleasure Pier like we asked. That being said we could not use the balcony because it was so filthy. Additionally, the balcony door would stuck shut so hard, my wife could not open it due to the repeated sticking of the door. I was barely able to open it.

Overall this Country Inn and Suites is in a great location, right near the seawall, walkable to the Pleasure Pier, as well as many restaurants including the Spot and its associated bars. Many rooms have balconies with views of the water and Pleasure Pier. We were in town for a night before our Thursday cruise departure. We knew the weather was going to be cool, so we did not care that the hotel did not have an outdoor pool. That being said if we were in town for a relaxing vacation, I would not choose this location since they don’t have an outdoor pool.

The rooms are clean, with the exception of the balcony, which was filthy with left over Fritos and the chairs were so filthy it was evident that they had not been cleaned in quite some time. Cleaning the chairs on a beach area balcony should be done before every check in. There was free parking available, which was not a problem when we got there mid afternoon, but we noticed people had to park across the street on the Seawall by the end of the night when we were walking back.

In the morning they had a pretty nice (for a limited service hotel) breakfast, but the staff was missing in action. Tables sat without being cleared for at least thirty minutes. Yes, guests should have cleaned up for themselves, but regardless.....the staff should have taken care of it. The food was nothing fancy, but totally acceptable. Their one computer for guest use was out of paper and they really did not seem to care when a guest mentioned it. (this was not me)

The room and common areas were clean and comfortable. The rooms have a small size fridge and microwave. The room has a comfortable King size bed but the pillows were some of the most horrid worn out pillows we have encountered lately. The rooms are pretty small, but are comfortable for two people. Carpet, furnishing's linens, and furniture are all clean. The climate control was a bit odd, as it was either always cooling or always heating, as well as it was a bit noisy. The room had the tiniest TV I have seen in a mid range hotel, and lacked any channel guide for the room. The free Wi-Fi service was easy to connect to and was relatively fast for a hotel. There were plenty of plugs to charge devices.

The bathroom was of an acceptable size, but the sink did not have a drain plug that made if difficult to safely take out contact lenses. .

They have a small but sufficient workout room They also have a computer in the lobby. The indoor pool seemed nice and also had a nice sized hot tub.

Check out time of 11am is a bit too early compared to other locations nearby that offer noon checkout.

Given the crazy check in list, I would probably not bother to stay here again, unless they reply that they have gotten rid of the list. Additionally, unless they are having an unusually low rate compared to their normal rate (which happened to be the case when we chose this location) we feel that there are a multitude of better options in the area.

Room Tip: Unless you want to sign ridiculous rules, just to stay in an average hotel, avoid this place.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pcsanity
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the concerns you shared regarding your check in experience. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We hope for another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations!

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

As I am typing this, it's now 1:08am and there is a bar next door that has an outdoor band blaring heavy music. Doesn't seem to ending anytime soon! It's so loud in here that I cannot sleep. So if you are looking for a good nights rest, go elsewhere - unless you can sleep through some serious noise! Would never stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was pretty happy with this hotel. We had a room on the 5th floor so the view was great. I like that we could sit outside and drink our coffee on our balcony. The room was clean. I redeemed some of my Club Carlson points, so I didn't have to pay a penny for my stay. The location is excellent because it is so close to the Pleasure Pier and several restaurants. This hotel seems like it does not have much parking. I was happy they provide breakfast. I have always had good stays and Country Inn hotels so that is why I continue to stay at them.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Clean room, great coffee and breakfast, professional staff, central location to beach, restaurants, please extend our thanks to entire staff. Each morning my daughter would tell Mariela how good breakfast was and tell her thanks.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel on expedia because we extended a stay last year and stayed hete instead of the Baymont. No bad last time. This time.........First mistake was accepting a room on the 3rd floor. The circus act that stayed above us jumped up and down and stomped around until we had to turn the TV up to attempt to sleep. Called the front desk, nothing. Thought of calling the police, it was that bad. Second evening stayed out till 10 pm. There is nowhere to park??? Drove around for 20 minutes before parking on the seawall. The breakfast while its a breakfast much like Comfort Inn, Baymont anx others is not worth getting up for. Plus night 2 the same only louder. If you read this go to the Best Western on the Seawall. Much better and enough parking.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KenBerry1960
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

We apologize for your experience at our Hotel. This is not our standard of product nor service at our Hotel. Please contact me directly at the Hotel so we can further discuss your stay and make this right for you.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had walk in for 2 rooms, and luckily we got it. It served complimentary hot n cold breakfast, which was really delicious. The rooms were pretty clean and the location was awsome. I found the rate were reasonable, because, it has pleasure pier, right next to it, Beach just a street across. The hotel is completely safe. The guy, who works at night , closes the main door, and doesnt allow any outsider to walk in , unless he is guest of that hotel. I felt very secured at this place.Would love to visit next time .

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family