Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Weatherford, Oklahoma
“Not too bad!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Location was awesome! The Hotel was right on the beach, with a balcony in every room. They were very stupid strict on things, like you weren't allowed to have any visitors which made no sense, we had no one to visit anyway. They offered cruise parking for us since we were going on a 5 day cruise but it wasn't secure at all and we paid a little more fir peace if mind at the cruise terminal. Rooms very clean and nice, beds were good but pillows sucked. The door latch for our bathroom was broken not allowing it to latch or lock. I guess all in all it was good for the price!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Liberty Hill, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect spot for us it's across the street from the beach within walking distance of pleasure pier and places to eat our room had a balcony that overlooked the pier and the beach . There was a full breakfast . Pool was small but clean . Although we did not use it . Price was great ! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Wills Point
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our experience was the worst. The room was dirty, hair on the bathroom floor, trash in the drawers and on the floor, and of all things, a spoon full of peanut butter on the chair. The carpets were dirty and torn, the mattress in the sofa was unmade and absolutely disgusting with dark stains all over it. When we ask for linens to put on it, they gave us a blanket that was threadbare and full of holes!! There was food under the couch, visible when the couch was being unfolded. There was one remote for two televisions. One of the telephones didn't work. One of the elevators was extremely noisy and scarey to ride, and the grab bar in the other was loose and falling off the wall. It almost dumped my mom on the floor. The shower rod was falling down and the curtain would not stay closed. There was mold at the base of the toilet and sand in the corners of the floor.
The breakfast on the first day was OK, eggs and sausage, but only one of the waffle maker was working, so it took 20 mins to get a waffle, because of the line. The second day was the kicker, some kind of soggy chicken patty, gravy and biscuits. What has a fried chicken patty got to do with breakfast? And, there was still only one waffle maker. The line was around the room, making it almost impossible to get to the rest of the counters. It took 30 mins to get through the line (everyone was making 2 to 3 waffles each), so there was plenty of time for conversation. I ask, out loud and to everyone, if their experience was as bad as ours and it was overwhelming the complaining that followed. I have pictures of all of this, including the line for waffles. I wish there was some way to post them because all of this seems too much to be true. I would not have believed all this if someone had told me, I would have just thought they were exaggerating, which is why we took the pictures. When we mentioned these things to the front desk they acted completely unconcerned. We thought they would at least offer to come clean the room and get us another remote, but they did not. I called Hotels.com to see what they could do and they must have called the desk because someone came to the room at 10 pm to fix the rod, long after my 2 year old daughter and my 82 year old mother had gone to sleep. We ask them to come back the next morning to fix it, and they never did. In fact, it was late afternoon before they came to clean the room, around 3:30. You would have thought, after Hotels.com called, that management would have attempted to contact us and remedy some of this. They did not.
The cleaning staff was friendly and accommodating but the rest of the staff, including the owners, were unfriendly and unconcerned. Hotels.com refunded us $100 in the form of a credit, but we don't expect Country Inn will do more than the cursory replies and glib lip service that you see them give on any of the other complaints posted.
We have never felt it necessary to post a complaint before. I own a construction company and an electrical contracting company and I felt this was important enough to take time that I don't have to write this. That should speak louder than any of my complaints.
Thank you HOTELS.COM for doing something we never expected, you were in no way obligated to make this right!!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!

Room Tip: This hotel has the potential to be great, just needs someone to go in and "clean house"
3 Thank Jack C
cisgalveston, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Sincerely
Euless, tx
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed on a recent Sunday night with 2 grandkids...Got to check-in early (130pm).. Got great room on Pleasure Pier side with balcony..Room 509.. I think... Never stayed at this chain .. Location is semi-good but parking in the area is a hassle..Spent lots of time looking for parking..Should have stayed at Sheraton.. Seawall has lack of police prescence... Got my bill under door..overcharged 20 dollars.. Went to talk to front desk..They acted like I don't see an issue.. They finally reprinted my bill .. (overcharge was at credit card website..but went away ) Breakfast not great.. Had real plates.. 4 real forks.. All dirty... Room floor had stains.. Bathroom clean.. Not best neighborhood.. Would not stay again..

Room Tip: High flloor east side
Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed on the 3rd floor, our hallway smelled of smoke, but the room was clean. Only con I would say would be the breakfast...They ran out of bread and pastries. Area is a little shady, because of the bar downstairs, wouldn't trust leaving ANYthing in vehicle.

1 Thank ttugurl
Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First the good - location. Close to pleasure pier and across the street from the beach. Now the bad. Had balcony view on the pleasure pier side of the hotel. The view of the Gulf of Mexico was good and of Pleasure Pier. The unexpected view was the constant flow of men ( over 15 times ) using the alley behind the hotel to urinate. This went on all night. You could not sit on the balcony and enjoy the view without viewing this activity. It got so bad, that we went to the front desk and they said there was nothing that they could do and we would need to call the police. They are aware of the activity - both the hotel and the police. The police did do a drive by but that was it. The area behind the hotel is suspect and at night this becomes an area of concern and is adjecent to the parking lot. Also, the view on the Pleasure Pier side is not desirable due to the roof tops of the adjacent building and thier A/C units. Need to be on level 3 or above to enjoy balcony. The rooms are average and the morning breakfeast is just OK - stick to cereal and pastries.

I used my hard earned points for the 2 nights in August ( 44,000 per night ) before kids went back to school. I feel that I wasted my points on this property and wish I could get a credit back on my account. I have stayed at other hotels in Galveston and would not stay here again.

1 Thank mike g
cisgalveston, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this response.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel needs to hire an extra employee for the front desk. On a Saturday during normal check in time they only had one guy. He did an excellent job for being swamped by customers and phone calls, but the hotel could get a better review on the staff if the staff was able to take their time in giving you information about the hotel and things to do around the area. Other than that the hotel was immaculate. The single king room was great, lots of moving around space with a balcony. We got lucky and got a perfect view of the pier. Checkout was simple and quick and they have a way to check out even if no one is at the front desk.

Stayed July 2013