Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed January 9, 2013

dont be fooled by the pictures ..this hotel is run down and needs to be remodeled...service was good..the breakfast was really good..but they really need to remodel this place...carpet was stained..rooms were dirty.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jroll398
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Guest, I do apologize that you encountered this problem. I want to thank you for your valuable comments; We did careful inspection of your room and did deep cleaning of your room as well , also this hotel is a brand new hotel in Galveston ground up new construction after Hurricane IKE.. We have addressed the problem, thank you again for your comments. We do hope you will stay with Country Inn & Suites again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel offers an amazing price but when you get your bill they add on ridiculous charges. The night I stayed there I thought it was odd that the person checking in before and the couple after me were all given rooms on the top floor, usually you have to beg to get the best view. The couple behind me asked if they could be on the lowest floor and the front desk person said, sorry we only have rooms on the top floor. The next morning my bill included a "high floor charge".

Room Tip: The view is great but just be ready for surprises on your bill.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike M
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your observations of our Hotel. I will as always pass your comments on to staff and other parties necessary. We value your opinions and rest asure we will act on suggestions made by those who post to Trip Advisor.Your feedback is most important to how we manage the needs of our guests.I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered at Country Inn and Suites.It is through guest comments such as yours that we are able to improve our hotel and the level of guest service. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Were there in november. Paid 59 $.
We had a large room with oceanview and balcony. It was a nice view at the pleasure pier.
The interior was brand new and modern. The room was very clean.
The hotel has an impressive receptionhall and the staff was friendly.
Breakfast was very good and the room, where it`s served, was also large and nice.
But take care, they do not allow smoking anywhere, even on the balcony.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Markus G
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We arrived at 2:15 in the afternoon and were told that our rooms were ready but if we wanted to check in before 3:00 it would be an additional $30 fee. So we loaded back up and took the family to lunch rather than pay the additional $30. The desk clerk basically told us that if we didn't like it we could go somewhere else. The clerk was also very threatening about if we smoked in the rooms or on our balcony, even though we informed them that no one in our party smoked. When we finally did get checked into our rooms it only go worse. One of the rooms was under construction and should have never been rented. The other room, the bathroom had hair on and debris on the floor and didn't look like it had been properly cleaned. It had been a long drive so we just cleaning the bathroom ourselves. The carpets were stained the beds were shoddily made just an overall appearance that they didn't care.
Hot Breakfast was included in the price of the room so the next morning we went to the dining area. It was a mad house of people. There were people standing around all over the place waiting for a place to sit. Most of the food was gone as soon as the cook delivered it. The food consisted of watered down powdered eggs, waffles, a small selection of cereal and toast. Their juice dispenser was out of OJ and the place was filthy. Having booked our stay weeks in advance and already paying for it we were pretty much stuck. I don't think there was ever a time during our entire visit that I walked by the front desk that someone was not there with a complaint going unresolved. The front staff is rude and condescending basically preying on out of town tourist.
The next morning we made sure to check out early to avoid any penalties as we were warned by other guest that this hotel has a reputation for charging for another full day if you are one minute late. After we returned our room keys I requested a receipt to confirm that we had checked out on time. The clerk REFUSED to provide me a receipt. I asked to speak to a manager and to my amazement the desk clerk picked up the phone and called 911. After calling 911 the clerk called her manager. I asked if the manager was on the way and she rudely told me that someone will be with me when they get to it. I waited about 10 minutes, the manager never arrived but the Police did. There were two officers. One took me out front to ask me what happened. When I told her that I had requested a receipt and when refused I requested to speak to a manager she kind of rolled her eyes as if "yeah right" there is more to this story. She asked if I was abusive or used profanity I told her no I just asked to speak to a manager. She took my information and her partner come out about a minute later. She asked him what happened. He told her, "he wanted a receipt, but the clerk would not give him one so he asked to speak to a manager". Both officers apologized for my inconvenience and asked me to go ahead and leave to avoid further complications.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dad_in_Texas
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experiences you had during your stay. Being sold out the night before we were trying to get the rooms ready.As check out time is 11 a.m and guest sometimes request a late check out as well so in no way the rooms can be ready at 12 p.m when you requested to check in so that was the case why a request for early check in was not entertained. Also as you had booked the room thru a third party site , they would provide you the receipt for your stay at the hotel.The same applies for housekeeping, where we try to ensure rooms are comfortable and clean with room inspections by the executive housekeeper after they are cleaned by the room attendant. However, I have passed on your comments to the appropriate department managers for review and all actions will be taken to correct these problem areas. I would like to thank you again for your comments and suggestions and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I booked this hotel through priceline.com. This was a girlfriend trip for 5 women and two teen age girls. We stayed here the night before our cruise. I made numerous calls to the hotel before booking. The staff was as friendly and accommodating in person as they had been on the phone. I will definitely stay here again. Very nice motel. Clean. The breakfast was good. The staff very helpful and kind. Excellent location. The beds were very comfortable and the nights rest before cruising was great!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BettyRuth
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 12/08/12 for one night, made the fatal error of getting in late. No parking, not that they have much anyway. I found myself parking 2 blocks away with so happens some other hotel guest in the same boat as me. Then the real fun began, none of our keys worked on the outside doors! Keepin mind its 2 am and I had to walk 2 blocks in an unfamilar town, in the dark only to have my key not work!!! Ok finally made it to my room to find pubic hairs on the back of the toilet, & hair in the tub. BREAKFAST WAS A JOKE, IF COULD CALL IT THAT(NO WONDER IT'S FREE). BEST PART OF MY STAY WAS LEAVING THE HOTEL.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank hgs67
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We recently stayed 2 nights at Country Inn & Suites before cruising out of Galveston. We booked directly through the Country Inn website (tip: sign up for their Club Carlson to get discount offers via email. We got a nice cancellable rate that was lower than any publicly available rate that applied to the dates we needed to stay). Although a Handicapped Accessible room was not an option when I booked, I did note it in the special requests on the reservation.

We arrived late at night, after 11pm. Although the front desk didn't catch the special note about our needing an HA room, they were able to move us to an HA room for both of our nights. Tip: When making a special note on your reservation, call the front desk to make sure they see it.

I got my parents settled into the room then returned to the front desk for some coffee. The pots were almost empty, so the clerk made fresh coffee. Gold star for that! In the meantime, my parents had trouble with the room thermostat, so the clerk went up to the room to reset the thermostat and got that running right. Another gold star.

Our room with 2 Queen beds and HA bathroom (standard tub with shower chair) had a lot of space. There was a fridge and microwave. The internet worked fine. The best part was our balcony overlooking the seawall and pleasure pier. And the day of our cruise, we walked out on our balcony and could see our ship!

Breakfast was fine with make-your-own waffles, yogurt, cereals, breads, oatmeal, and there may have eggs and a meat but I don't remember.

We didn't use the indoor pool, but I did go in to investigate and the chlorine in the air was so overwhelming when I opened the door to the enclosure that I walked right back out. It was way too strong.

No issues with check-out or parking.

The hotel is in a good location and I would definitely stay there again when visiting Galveston.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the seawall.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family