“I was expecting WAY worse!”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Galveston Beach, TX
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Gilfriend and I took a spontaneous trip to Galveston just to go. When we FINALLY arrived after the horrible traffic in Houston, we had no idea where to go or stay...so we just drove up and down Seawall Blvd and made calls as we drove by. We called Country Inn, and they had the lowest price (which isn't exactly cheap...but the location was decent). We finally went to check in and the staff was a little sketchy at first. But when we started talking to them, they were very helpful and nice. Got checked in, got a room, and I believe they put us in room 415 (or 425)...top floor on the corner overlooking the beach and Pleasure Pier. While the room wasn't shockingly amazing, it's Country Inn...I wasn't expecting it to be. The view was PERFECT!! The real complaint I had, was that housekeeping left a dirty washrag on the rail of the shower. After we checked in, we went for a walk on the beach, and walked over to the souvenier shop next to Pleasure Pier...she had a few Pina Colada's, and I had a big Red Stripe...then we just chilled on the patio overlooking the ocean.

The water's brown close to shore, but Galveston can't really help that due to currents pushing muddy waters from the Mississippi and Trinity...but either way, it was very relaxing.

The continental breakfast was way better than I expected. ...much better than a few cold danish and orange juice. A serve-yourself buffet of biscuits, fried chicken patties, country gravy with sausage, you can make your own cereal, waffles, and an assortment of coffees and juices.

I rated "room service' as average because there was none. Restaurant was also average as it was for breakfast only...but the breakfast wasn't too bad.

To be quite frank, I would GLADLY go back. Again, I wasn't expecting the Hotel Galvez...I was more realistic. The staff was courteous, friendly and the room was what I was expecting and seemed pretty clean. However, I wasn't expecting to get the view we had. Very pleasant surprise!

The people that come out at night along the beach......SKETCHY!!!!

Room Tip: We had a great view from our room facing Pleasure Pier.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnotherDrummer

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed four nights and found the location unbeatable. The Pleasure Pier and great restaurants were all within walking distance...and of course the beach is across the street. The staff, except the general manger, Dee, were all super friendly(lol!). Interesting right? Well, the breakfast lady wants to be out of the hotel at the same time breakfast ends but seems to be a trend everywhere unfortunately.
I did not have the horror experience that a few other reviewers did but I will tell you the good with the bad.
We had a suite with our three kids in tow. Our room was plenty large enough and there were two flat screen LCD tvs to watch. The property is very new and as of right now it is in great condition. The hot tub is nice and indoor so you won't get sunburn after a long day at the beach. If you get there early, and I do mean early, you can get a pretty darn fine breakfast.
Now on to the negative, the cleanliness really needs to be addressed by someone with "American" values on cleanliness. Maybe I'm spoiled but I expect hallways to be cleaned to the edge of the wall and elevator doors to be free of nasty hand smudges. Rooms should be thoroughly cleaned AND swept so to not see the previous guest's hair in your floor. I fear that this property could age prematurely if someone doesn't come in and take over with some skill.
Overall, for Galveston hotels, I would come back but there is much work to be done.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Danda0624
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The hotel was good for one thing, location. It was right across Seawall Blvd from the beach. That is where the positives stopped. Room smelled musty, was not prepared for us as the kitchenette didn't have the items it was meant to. Asked for an extra blanket and was told "I don't believe we have those but we'll check and bring it up to your room". They never brought an extra blanket and didn't call to say anything about it.
The biggest negative was the breakfast. The two mornings we tried to go to breakfast were so terrible we decided to pay to go to IHOP. We arrived over an hour before breakfast was meant to be finished to find there were no plates, cups, or FOOD! Each item was empty and the woman who was to fill these was less than happy that multiple were asking for multiple things. To top it off, the hotel has 4 floors of rooms and 8- 2person tables. And, they will not allow the food to leave that area, ie, you can't take the food to your room to sit down and eat your breakfast. If you are going to have such a rule, you should have more than 16 seats for the entire hotel.

If my family and I ever return to Galveston, we will definitely NOT stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Opinions_12
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a 4th of July trip for the 1st time. We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Galveston. Prior to arrival, we communicated with a young lady at the front desk and requested a 2nd floor or higher room. Upon arrival, our room was definitely on the 2nd floor but the balcony part of it was located over a club with a blocked view. The view was much less than great. We discussed this with the manager on duty and he stated that the room given to us was all they had. The manager and I actually disagreed quite a bit for a while. After finally deciding to stay(it was the holiday and apparently all the hotels were booked up) and returning to our room, we noted that our comforter set was dirty. It was dirty to the point of us wanting our entire bed comforter and sheets changed. The manager was stressed and seemed to try and work with us towards the end of the argument that he and I actually changed the comforter/sheets together. The manager and I finally became friends after I decided it was better to make the best of a crazy situation. The room itself was okay besides the dirty bed linen and comforter. The airconditioner was definitely loud but it was tolerable. This hotel was definitely close(walkable) to the seawall/beach. We made it through the holiday break but will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peaceful1012
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights. The next morning, the breakfast fruit was old, the eggs were old and the staff was mean. I go to my car to leave for a meeting and my window was busted out and items were stolen. I told the front desk that I was nervous to stay another night so they understood and said I only had to pay for one night. I went to my room and booked another hotel and prepaid to assure my reservation. A few hours later when I tried to check out, they decided they did not what to give me a refund and I was told that regardless of the break in of my car, I am still responsible for 2 nights. I said it wasn't fair for them to go back on their word and I wanted to speak to a manager. They said the manager was busy and I said I would wait. The front desk associate said then he would just call the police on me. Two police cars and 3 officers came to question me and I was very embarrassed. The officers were very nice and said the manager agreed to give me a refund. I asked the police officer to go back inside the hotel with me to confirm the refund and the manager changed her mind again and said I couldn't get a refund. The police officer said maybe I should file a complaint with the owners. I will never ever stay at this hotel or any hotel near this one again, I have never been treated so awful in life.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
13  Thank peachiev
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future, and showing you how we have improved.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

The place is very convenient and very close to the seawall/Beach, also close to all the places that you need to go like the new carnaval like Pleasure Pier, Mudoch (souveiner store), restaurants etc. You can just walk down the street and you'll enjoy the walk. The place is very clean and so comfortable. Bedsheets and pillow cases has been change everyday. Awesome! You'll never regret staying here. Plus great customer service!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed May 22, 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 we stayed at this hotel after attending a Astros game in Houston, arriving about midnight. We found no parking in the hotel parking lot, including handicap (all of 2 marked spots) which we're eligible for. When you look at the website photo which does not show it, there is a bar & dance club right next door to the hotel on the edge of the parking lot with very loud music. We wake up Sat. morning only to find a bunch of teenagers in the small breakfast room, taking up all the tables, about 8-10 total. Not much left in the way of food, and 1 person working the kitchen area, both as cook and table cleaner. We went to The Strand all day Sat. only to return Sat. night about 6pm to find that our beds are not made up, nor fresh towels placed in the room. Went to the front desk to complain, only to find out that there is a little card that you place on your pillows if you want your linens and towels exchanged due to them being "Eco-friendly", meaning they save water. However, when you take the time to read the card, it only mentions bed linens being changed, nothing about towels. They didn't even come into the room to clean and wipe down the bathroom, and our pile of towels laid in the corner of the room all weekend. Sunday morning we're up for breakfast again, about 8am, only to find tables available but not cleaned, coffee pots empty, and the same one person trying to cook and clean as was the case Sat. morning. I asked if coffee was being made, she said it was, yet 1/2 hour later she's still walking around the breakfast room cleaning up and wiping the serving counters down. The coffee was not even started. Bottom line is we went with another couple and stayed in the same room to save on expenses. I'm told that this room went for $200 a night and our friends used their award points. I feel bad for them as we all were in agreement that it wasn't worth it. Oh, a little FYI for you 1st time visitors. Seawall Blvd, is the main drag up/down the city. Traffic is at a standstill constantly, even into the late hours. In addition it seems to be a hangout for car clubs who park their cars at the curbs, only to be gawked at by the passing visitors, slowing down the traffic. If you can do it, even with small kids, leave your car at the hotel and walk to the restaurants if they are close to your hotel. Saves time and your hotel parking spot. Also go to Gaido's/Casey's Seafood restaurant......the best!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 101/102; they're next to hotel lobby and breakfast room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends