“Not that great for the price”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Galveston Beach, TX
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This hotel is way overpriced for what they offer. To top it off, it is right next to the ghetto. We stayed there over the week of July 4th, and it was an experience. People were all in the alley across from the hotel, and a fire was started by someone shooting fireworks. Luckily, some of the people hanging around were able to put it out quickly, but it was a large fire that could have hurt someone. Several people were intoxicated, walking down the street, one of them even vomited all over the sidewalk in front of the hotel. I witnessed all this from my balcony. Not a good experience, I did not feel safe there. The staff was pretty helpful, and nice. The cleanliness of the rooms are questionable, as my husband found some candy behind a curtain and left it there. It stayed there for our entire stay of 5 nights. This hotel was kind of a dissapointment to a trip we had looked forward to, but we made the best of it. I would not really recommend it to someone looking for something upscale.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank staceykat

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Hotel staff was great went out of way to help would definatly recommend to my family and friends beach is right across and restrants walking distance I am coming back to country inn and suites

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I made reservations for an ocean view room at $249.00 a night. I arrived and learned that I had a room overlooking the slum of Galveston. People were sitting on their porch drinking beer and staring at me as I stood on the balcony. The ocean was not in sight. This was the only reason that I reserved this room. I used my cell phone and reserved a room at another hotel. I turned in my key to the front desk and informed them that I was promised an ocean view and I was not staying the night. I was informed that I was in violation of the refund policy and my card would still be billed for an overnight stay. I was only in the room for ten minutes and the room was left in the same condition that it was in when I arrived. I departed the property and returned approx fifteen min later, believing that I had left a cell phone in the room, and was allowed to look for the phone. While waiting to speak with the front desk attendant I overheard that the room number, 206, was re-rented to another person. I asked if I were still being billed for an overnight stay since the room was rented for the evening and the hotel was not out the profit. I was informed that I was still being billed for the stay. I reserved an ocean view room and was not provided with what I reserved. They did not live up to their end of the agreement, so I should not be held responsible for payment. I was billed $278.00 for something I did not receive. I am extremely dissatisfied. I will be contacting an attorney to assist me in reimbursement of my money. I have nothing positive to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gregmyers
Reviewed July 10, 2011

So my wife grandmother booked a room for two nights her birthday weekend, we get there late but they knew and should gave been ready, they usually hold 40-50 bucks. The girl at the check out put a hold on 350 dollars instead of 50 and even after I told them and they found out they still told me they couldnt give me my money back till the bank released the money, why does the bank have to fix it, and the manager so far is avoiding me...can't fix it till Monday and they keep saying nothing I can do ....ruined my wifes birthday weekend cuz we were scared to use the card and put anythingon it ....horrible experience will never come here again.....a 350 dollar mistake cost me a lot and they don't even care to try to make it up to me....don't care enough to even get a freaking phone call from the people who can fix it... but don't

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank chono0001
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Galveston Beach, TX, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2011

Dear chono0001, Thank you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and apologize .We take comments as yours seriously in an effort to improve our overall quality and guest experience but hope you enjoyed your time here in beautiful Galveston. Best regards, D Singh, General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Buildings in Galveston live a rough life. This one is a year old and still looks and smells clean and fresh. I had one very minor issue of a small bit of trash on the balcony. They immediately had it cleaned and seemed truly apologetic for the oversight. Good view of the beach. Everything worked. The convenience store next door was handy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TexasBuffalo
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Clean, smoking free, no mold to be seen or smelled and a new hotel. The location is at the beach.
This is what I look for in a good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sdsIceland
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Myself, the wife, and our 2 year old, stayed 4 nights 5 days in an executive suite. The room had a bedroom and attached living room with a door in between which was perfect for us. We got the suite for much less then we'd have paid for a less equipped room at any of the other hotels I considered.

The good:
Still looked brand new, clean, non-smoking (and didn't wreak of smoke), free parking, across the street from a decent beach (tho we drove to various others as well), ice machine on all floors, good choice of breakfast for what it was, friendly staff, AC blew nice and cool, beds were comfortable, overall as expected.

The bad:
On the edge of a semi-sketchy neighborhood, TV's didn't remember the previous volume level and always turned on blasting, AC cooled well, but temp swing was higher then I would have liked, the in room fridge froze our drinks and we couldn't find a temp control to turn it down a little, you can hear the club across the street - but not so loud that you couldn't sleep through it, pool was cold (but that kept it from being crowded! ;)). None of those were even close to being deal breakers to us.

I would definitely recommend and go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Executive suites are on the 5th floor