“This was neat to see with kids”

Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$520.00*
and up
Private Full-Day Galveston Island and Houston...
Ranked #5 of 58 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ocean Star is a retired jackup drilling rig that offers a fun, hands on way to learn about the offshore oil and gas industry in a comfortable and accessible facility. The museum features three floors of models, exhibits, equipment and interactive displays illustrating the story of offshore exploration and production. This self guided museum is open seven days a week and offers visitors the unique opportunity to board an actual offshore rig. While ticket sales halt at 4:00 PM, visitors can remain until the site closes at 5:00. Welcome Aboard!
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

This was a neat place to visit with our boys 4 and 7. Boys love exploring things and I think they liked looking at everything with their dad. I have to say they had a lot of interesting displays which made learning more fun. This is not somewhere I particularly would choose to go, but since I have kids we went for something fun to do with them. Overall, i actually learned something and thought it was pretty interesting.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"rainy day"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2017

Nice place to escape the heat and learn about off-shore drilling. Located next to fishermans warf restaurant, which was fabulous! It is a low cost, air conditioned museum. Nice way to escape the heat from the hot, humid summer day. Also a great way to learn about the complexities of off shore drilling. People working there are nice and informative. Once is enough, but glad we stopped in.

Reviewed July 6, 2017

I was visiting Galveston while my wife was working in the area for the day and wanted to do something different. I saw the Ocean Star Museum and figured why not give it a shot. It was a super cool experience. Growing up in Texas and having visited the gulf quite a few times I had seen drilling rigs in the gulf, but never got the chance to visit one. The museum was fairly inexpensive and being a weekday it was not crowded, which made the experience even better. I spent about 2 hours wondering around the self guided tour and enjoyed all the information and the views. It is something I will definitely bring my kids back to visit. Definitely and off the beaten path type of visit.

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

Our family really enjoyed our visit here. Our kids, ages 13(boy) & 8(girl), both found several exhibits they enjoyed. They had a family package which saved us a few dollars. We all learned a lot about the process of oil production and just how much is involved in it. The brave men and women who work on oil rigs and in the oil industry deserve our respect. Very friendly staff. Great movie that explains much of what is displayed in the museum. Museum is 3 stories with both stairs and an elevator. Also outdoor exhibits that are very well done -- informative and easy to understand. Worth the trip! There is more to see than one would think.