“Great location, bad food poisoning.”

Olympia the Grill at Pier 21
Reserve with OpenTable
Olympia the Grill at Pier 21 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on a working harbor with a great view of vessels going up and down the channel and dolphins frolicking in the bay. The best seafood and view of the sunset in Galveston. We offer private dining for between 10 and 300, and have accommodated many large functions such as the Commemoration of the USS Fort Worth, many weddings, bachelorette parties and rehearsal dinners. We are also within easy walking distance of the Strand on Pier 21.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First of all, this location is beautiful and the waitstaff is very accommodating and friendly.

But on the other hand, my advice? Order items on the menu that are FRESH and made to order, not made ahead of time. I learned the hard way by ordering their MOUSSAKA (one of my favorite greek dishes) and paid the price by having the most painful food poisoning for 3 solid days afterwards. Family and friends have been here without problems and I admit, the food was pretty good at first, but either the meat in my dish was undercooked or was contaminated and I almost went to the ER with excrutiating abdominal pain. It completely ruined my weekend in Galveston.

Also, the prices are a bit much for what you get, but other than my bad experience and the pricey menu, this place may be worth a shot (at your own risk). I'd recommend other places in the area over this one.

6  Thank KL-0713-

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The food is very good. $$$ It is more of a seafood grill. It has a large deck view of the harbor.,, Dolphin viewing most of the time....

1  Thank John C
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had dinner at the Olympia at a time they were not very busy. It was not a great experience. Be sure you look at the menu and prices before you decide to eat there. This is something we neglected to do.

For a $33 entree, I am expecting good food and excellent service. We got okay to bad food and good service. For the price, you would think this is a high end establishment but I couldn't believe that they had McCormick Salt and Pepper grinders on the table.

The drinks were the best thing we had. They were actually very good. It went down hill from there. We love Greek food so ordered from that part of the menu. Maybe that was our problem. Maybe the seafood part is better. The lamb chops were okay but didn't have a lot of flavor and were cooked unevenly. One would be very rare and another would be medium. The Greek dressing was mainly oily tasting. You could barely taste the herbs in it. On the salad, the feta was not crumbled but a big slab was stuck in the middle of the salad. We tried to crumble it so we could have it more evenly distributed in the salad but gave up. The Saganaki was a disaster and I don't really know why, The outside was good but the inside wasn't. I am not sure they and but I think they did not cook it long enough since even when it was freshly out, there was not heat in the middle and of course that meant hard cheese. I was sooo looking forward to it.

If the weather permits, I think outside is where to sit. It would be a great place to watch a sunset.

1  Thank justmeinsd
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We eat at Olympia at Pier 21 on the average of twice a week and always take friends/family to experience the great food, service and ambience.
Love their Happy Hour and sitting outside on the wonderful patio, expecially now that the weather has cooled and humidy has dropped.
The absolute perfect place on the port to enjoy a meal!

1  Thank 3530cp
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We live on the Island and go often for happy hour (Greek nachos) but twice now we have tried to take visiting company and twice we have set for over five minutes waiting on someone/anyone to come to our table! Twice I have told the hostess, the first time a server came promptly, sadly today we waited a additional few minutes and nothing, even though people who came after where promptly served. Sadly we will not be taking company again!

3  Thank Jaimeolivia