Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Having stayed at many red roof inns in the past and never having had a bad experience before, we were shocked at how bad this one was. We booked four days by third party, so it s already paid for or we would have left before getting to the room. This hotel has 2 elevators, neither of which was working so we took the stairs with or luggage to the 4th floor. The next day one elevator was working though poorly. The room at least appeared clean but was of a much lower level than usual. But on the 3rd day we awoke to a huge dead roach on the bathroom floor. We left the card on the bed to indicate they should clean the room rather than just make the bed and leave new towels. However when we returned nothing had be done to the room at all. We called the front desk and the night clerk was very rude, but did send someone to remove the roach and take the trash (she apparently forgot the towels) the next morning I was greeted by live roaches in the bathroom. The pool was not clean as usual for this chain. This red roof inn is WAY bellow what is usual for the chain

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robin G
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

I apologize for your experience. While the season brings its share of creepy crawlies, we are working diligently with our pest control company to keep them outside of the hotel rooms.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know where we fell short. We are working on all of the issues that you mentioned, especially the housekeeping service and the elevators.

I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.

Kathleen Trindade

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have stayed at the San Luis, the Holiday Inn next door to that, the Baymont Inn, and the Quality Inn and Suites. I need a place with a flat screen tv, microwave and fridge, and can walk a few feet to cross the street(Seawall Blvd) to get to the beach. For me the Red Roof Inn wins on price. If you need anything just go down to the front desk, it is not that hard. The people there are wonderful and friendly, the beds and pillows are soft, the pool looks great(I didn't use just walked by several times to get to the lobby) The Quality Inns pool is indoors so thats actually a ding in the summer time and the neither the Quality & Baymont no longer have hot tubs anymore. Not sure about San Luis and Holiday Inn but they are significantly more expensive but have personal balconies that face the water if you desire that. Redroof is in the right spot. Kroger is right next door so you can walk over and fill your fridge with yogurt, fruit, juice etc..

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Don E
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Wow. It is not everyday that a limited service hotel is mentioned favorably with a five-star resort like the San Luis. We are competitively priced to give the best value possible here in Galveston.

I hope that you will stay with us and have a chance to enjoy the pool the next time you are in Galveston. Remember to sign up for Redicard to earn free nights for future stays.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

An oil spill delayed our cruise. 5000+ people were stranded and hotels filled fast ! I booked this off hotels.com. The prices had not jumped yet as many had. The staff were fine, the called in a ton of extra to accommodate the surplus visitors.

The pool was heated! Yay! It was a cold day and rainy so there wasn't a lot of options to do for a lot of grumpy cruise goers ! So swimming in a nice warm pool was great!

My only complaint, the carpeting could be updated! Try to get a room not by the elevator, can be loud at all times of the day.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Laura C
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

I am pleased that our beautiful pool was appreciated on a cool day. I hope you will stay with us in the future when you are catching a cruise out of Galveston. Our free parking while you are on the cruise is convenient and worry-free.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

So my husband and I booked this hotel for this past Monday June 15, 2014. We got a good deal on Travelocity. Let me just tell you, this place is disgusting. While I was in the shower (which had mold on the floor) my husband came into the bathroom and said listen, don't freak out but there is a huge cockroach on the wall. Obviously I freaked out. He went downstairs to the front desk who was unapologetic about the situation moved us after much complaining only to a room down the hall with dirty stained sheets. Thankfully there were no cockroaches in this room. As soon as morning came I went down and said we need to get the heck out of here. I called Travelocity and they moved us immediately. I also left a dress at this hotel and the management "has no idea what happened to it" this hotel is shady. We ended up and Four Points which was fantastic, more expensive by just a little but totally worth it. The only good thing is that the guy I dealt with to move rooms was very nice, but at this point would you rather have a nice staff and filthy cockroach room, or pay more money for nice clean rooms and friendly staff. Please never stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley31297

I want to apologize for the first day of your stay. While we work with an excellent pest management company to keep the rooms free of any insects, this is a humid, tropical environment and occasional insects will occur. I have advised my service tech of your situation and we will continue the endeavor to keep the outside insects outside.

I hope that the following five nights of your stay went well. Just to let you know, we are still looking for the dress that you stated was left in the first room.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Our family stayed here for three nights. Upon arrival, we asked for the cheapest available rate - even though we already had a previous online reservation - just to see if by chance, we'd get a better rate. The front desk clerk, Cece, was so very accommodating and helpful. She found us an even better rate, so this stay started-off great! She also brought extra towels and pillows we had requested to our room even before we could get our car unloaded! :) While the room was not fancy, it sure fit the bill and was clean, beds comfortable. Our room telephone did not work, but once we alerted a maintenance worker, he immediately checked into the matter and corrected it. We enjoyed a continental breakfast each morning - bagels, muffins, assorted cereals - including oatmeal to make, frozen waffles to pop into the toaster, yogurt, coffee, apple and orange juices. Staff were attentive to refilling the breakfast items - even when it was very busy with guests. They also kept the dining area clean. As we passed the front desk, hotel representatives greeted us and asked if we needed anything. Cece (mentioned earlier) remembered me and especially inquired how our stay was. All were so polite. We had difficulty finding a luggage cart when it was time to depart, so a quick call to the front desk and a worker came to our room with one a.s.a.p. We swam at the outdoor pool several times; it did have a few bugs floating on top and human hair...not appealing at all - but I am sure it is not easy to keep up with all the traffic at the pool during summer. There were plenty of lounge and upright chairs along with a couple small tables/umbrellas at poolside. A handicap accessible ramp is available. There is an elevator from the parking garage to all floors - sometimes had to wait a while as it was busy, but nothing too drastic. Our room had a nice-sized clean refrigerator and microwave. We loved the location of this hotel because we could park in the front, along the Seawall, and walk across Seawall Blvd. to the beach as there was beach access nearby. This saved us having to pay for parking along the street. A Kroger grocery store is nearby and WalMart is not far, either. Oh - and for coffee enthusiasts, they have a coffee machine in the front lobby ready for you! We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynell S

Thank you for the great review. We will work to be more vigilant with the pool. It is challenging to keep up with the large amount of guests using the pool on busy days. I will share your review with the staff.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

My room was not worth the money!! The bedding had white stains on it, the pillows were like a wad of pillow stuffing covered in a case, the TV kept acting funny, the room smelled musty, the bathtub had mold, there were roaches in the bathroom, the smoke detector was dangling from the ceiling by a wire and didn't appear to be working, the iron got rusty stuff on my clothes, and the balcony faced a parking lot after we specifically asked for a pool view. This is the worst place I've ever stayed!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Han0082
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

I apologize for your stay that sounds much more than disappointing. Please contact me. I would like to make sure that we address all of the issues that you experienced to prevent it from happening again.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to write a little review and tell you that I was very happily surprised to enter your status meant and find a an employee with the same name as me his name was toby as he continued to help us check in lots of people standing in the lobby lots of people are angry but toby kept us all call me he has great customer service skills and was willing to help in every one of us in an orderly and timely fashion never got rude never got short kept a smile keep checking with everyone and made everything a okay with us later on we were advised that he was trained by the general manager miss Kathleen well just to let you guys know you're doing a wonderful job keep up the great work, and keep Toby working....

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Galveston - Beachfront/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you, Toby, for the great review. I hope you took advantage of our beautiful pool and convenient location.

I look forward to seeing you in the future when you visit Galveston.

Kathleen Trindade