“Could hardly have been better!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed August 31, 2010

All areas, from breakfast, to the comfort of the bed, the pool, cleanliness etc were exceptional. Would return for certain. The only negative was when my mother and I exited the elevator to check out, two male employees asked if we need help. We only had one bag each and said, "No thanks," with smiles. As we went on, I heard one of them mutter "dinero $." It put a bad taste in my mouth after such a lovely time in Galveston. It also made me glad I had turned down the offer of his help. The desk and dining room attendants were all as pleasant as could be, and the housekeeping was very good. It was much better than we would have expected for the price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 30, 2010

So impressive that in the summer afternoon heat a worker we hadn't even SEEN or requested met us IN the parking lot with a cart to haul our luggage and stuff inside for us, another waited at the elevator to help us up with it, a 3rd asked how we found things!
Location: directly across from the beach, great restaurants nearby (Gaido's seafood superb!), plenty of free parking in lot. Our spacious room & bath, as well as varied breakfast that was included were excellent.

The meeting room we had for 2 days was well appointed, attended, comfortably set up.
I have no question several of us will be going back there!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We booked the Suite at this HIE thinking it would give us more room as it stated in the description 'YOU CAN KICK UP YOUR HEELS IN THIS PREMIUM 2 QUEEN BD SUITE FEATURING FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND A DIVIDED LIVING AREA WITH A SLEEPER SOFA '. As soon I we stepped in the room, we felt the description didn't match the actual room. The room may be 11' wide, and feels much smaller because there is only 1 tiny window looking out towards the gulf. There is a door to the balcony but it is solid, no glass. If you are the least bit claustrophobic, this isn't the room for you. And there is not a divided living area as decribed.
The problem for me was when I went downstairs to speak to management. We had only been checked in for 30 minutes when I started to call and couldn't reach any one by phone. So I went downstairs 40 min after checking in. I spoke to Yvonne at the front desk, and told her our concerns about the room being too small and not being a divided living area, as they had advertised. I asked her if we could check out without being penalized as it was only 5:20pm. She went back to talk to the manager she said, and came back and said we would have to stay the night but then could check out the next day. I asked to talk to the manager himself, Mr. Willis Ghandi. Yvonne said he was 'On Conference.' ?? I told her that I would wait. She didn't even walk back to tell him customers were waiting. After 20 min or so, I asked her 'does he even know he has customers waiting?' she again said 'He's on conference and he won't change his decision'. I waited a little longer and could hear him talking to another person in the back and soon realized that there was no conference at 5:30pm on a Friday. I left my number with Yvonne and asked him to call me and big surprise, he never did.
We decided to stay that night since we had paid $237! for one night. That evening I called and asked Adrian, to prepare our pull out couch bed. His reply- 'there are linens in your closet, you have to do it yourself' . We pulled out the bed to find a dirty, crumb filled bare mattress with no cover. When I called down to ask him for a mattress pad for the nasty mattress, he laughed. He did call back to tell us he had found a cover, my husband spoke to him this time. Adrian told my husband when he answered QUOTE 'I have a pad for your nasty mattress'. are you serious?? And we had to go downstairs to get it.
Needless to say, we checked out as soon as we could the next day to go to a hotel we should have booked the first time. Less money and great 24/7 customer service. Adrian did discount our rate by about $37 for our trouble.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank txelle
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I just returned from staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Galveston on West Seawall Blvd. One sentence describes my experience, "Great Customer Service. Every member of the hotel staff was courteous and helpful at all times. The rooms and hotel was extremely clean and well maintained. The morning breakfast buffet was awesome, food was hot and plentiful. The dining area was clean and the buffet was replenished throughout serving time. No complaints at all. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Great hotel for a stay in Galveston. It's a little off the beaten path toward the west end of the seawall. Nice, spacious rooms with balcony. Room had small refrigerator. Comfortable bed, clean room, quiet. Reasonable price compared to similar "well rated" hotels in town. Will absolutely return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrumpetDude
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Galveston. The room was clean, well stocked and smelled fresh.

The view on either side was another hotel or condos, and if you walked out of the micro balcony you could see part of the ocean.

The staff for the most part was friendly, with the male staff member being most gracious and welcoming and the female staff member being friendly, yet somewhat rude and unaccommodating.

The walls between rooms are good at maintaining a quiet environment, however, the ceilings and floors are thin. Be prepared to hear your upstairs guest tromping back and forth. This will not be a problem until after 11pm when you’re ready to call it a night, that’s the time when the tromping sounds like a booming stampede.

As far as breakfast goes – the bounty is plentiful and kept fully stocked. Just know that you get what you pay for. For the most part it consists of basic continental breakfast menu items. And then there are the eggs… “Powdered eggs!” No matter how they tried to make them taste good, they were just plain nasty. I would have been glad to pay an extra $5.00 bucks a day just for real eggs and thicker than ‘tissue paper’ bacon.

The abundant supply of coffee was a nice touch. The pool area was clean and well kept. A nice continuous supply of hot water in the rooms, and the microwave and fridge was a great-added feature.

The workout facility was nice and the parking was okay.

Overall, our visit was a very pleasant experience.

I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Courtney02
Reviewed June 11, 2010

A great hotel that my friends and I were very happy to stay at. The room was clean and had a balcony that faced the ocean. Breakfast was the typical hotel breakfast but worked for us. It was nice to be able to lay by the outdoor pool and soak up some sun and the hot tub was nice for me because I found the pool too cold although my friends didn't. We had a small fridge and microwave in our room which is always a good thing. The staff was friendly and helpful also.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends