“Nice place to relax before a cruise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Sherman, Texas
“Nice place to relax before a cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have stayed here before in October. The location is perfect to spend the evening before a cruise. You can walk along the seawall, there are several nice restaurants nearby, etc. The hotel is clean, comfortable and offers shuttle service to the cruise ports.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TamraBooth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Phillipsburg, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed there one night on March 24th 2012. When we walked into the room it smelled very moldy. We tried to get another room but they did not have any available and just got a quick sorry. Needless to say we stayed out of the room as much as possable. Leaving the room in the morning my wife noticed a huge spot of black mold on the carpet under the desk so it had to have been this way for a while and surely people have complained before and apparently they did nothing. When we were checking out we told them of the smell and black mold again and all we got was a sorry which was not very genuine. We asked the clerk to call a cab for us and waited out front. After 30 minutes of waiting I asked if she had called the cab and she said she forgot. We finally got a cab after waiting for an hour and a half. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The room smelled, had mold and the front desk people were horrable with poor customer service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joe K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Joe K,

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Deton, tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I really have kind of a mixed review. I always expect the Holiday Inn Express chain to be very good. I checked in pretty late in the afternoon and the desk clerks were very nice. My room wasn't ready, so they upgraded me to one of their suites. The room was nice and clean and the view of the Gulf was great. Now for the not so perfect items. The hallway hadn't been vacuumed and wasn't for the duration of my stay. That would have been 3 separate days without being cleaned. The worst thing was the last night there. Got up and went to the bathroom and found that I shared it with a very large roach. Killed that one. Got up later and found his twin and killed him. Still later I found that his identical cousin had moved into the bathroom. I killed him, too. Seems like they need to put a pest control company on retainer. At checkout, I got a very half hearted, "Sorry". I'm not sure I'll get my wife back to that hotel after seeing the body count in the bathroom.
Breakfast the first morning was a little unprepared. The pancake machine hadn't been turned on even though it was about 7 in the morning and the orange juice was empty. I'm used to having someone attending the breakfast area a little better than that at the Holiday Inn Express hotels that I usually stay at.
All that said, it was Spring Break time in Galveston and the hotel was really full, and I overheard one of the staff say that they were understaffed. I don't know if that is always a problem or just for that day.

Room Tip: The suites face the Gulf. More expensive, but great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Dear Tcs6,

Thank your for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message with detailed information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
Wyandotte, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

With only one person at the front desk trying to handle check-ins, answer phone calls, and deal with unhappy guests, my first impression was definitely not a good one. A couple had been waiting for their room to be cleaned for almost 3 hours. Check in is at four, and when I arrived at 6:45, they were still waiting. I finally got checked in 30 minutes later, housekeeping was just leaving our room. The front desk blamed the delays on being short handed due to the time change and people not getting to work on time. That excuse might work on Sunday, but Monday?
Our room was clean, had an ocean view balcony with two chairs, and comfortable beds. The air was constantly humid, like the airconditioner couldn't keep up, or wasn't functioning properly.
We tried breakfast the first morning, arriving at 9. The dining room was busy, making it take longer to fix plates and find a table. My son decided he wanted another pancake, but by the time it was finished, the staff had already put away the butter and syrup. At 9:30 on the dot, regardless of people still eating, without a last call or polite warning of closing, all breakfast was taken out of the room.
Given that the week we visited was Texas spring break, and we were in TEXAS, you would think the hotel would have been prepared for a crowd. I picked it partly because of the free breakfast, but we only tried it that one time.
I gave the hotel a 3 because our room was fine, I liked the less busy location, and at a mess busy time, the lack of preparation " hopefully" wouldn't have been an issue.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vaughn_boys_mom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Vaughns_boys_mom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I checked into Holiday Inn Express 8628 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, TX. As I began to relax and unwind in room #120 later I stared wheezing and sneezing from my allergies. When I got out of bed to adjust the air condition settings I noticed my Carpet was Soak and Wet over 1/2 of my room starting from the Unit passed my bed. At approx. 2200 hrs I proceeded to the front desk and explained to Stephen who was on duty my situation. He was very helpful to accomodate me to another room #118. The next morning I got up to adjust the air before showering I then noticed my carpet was Wet leading from the air condition covering a large area of my room. After getting dress I went to the front desk and spoke to a lady name Yvonne, who Identified herself as the FRONT DESK MANAGER. Again I explain to Yvonne that I have extremely Bad allergies and Asthma and that I had to Move to another room in the middle of the night. She then replied that the Manager will be coming in today and I can talk to him about it and the Maintenance guy will take a look at both units. As the morning drew near, the Manager Or the Maintenance guy NEVER showed up. Later that day I returned to the front desk and ask for the manager, Yvonne then tells me her Manager was here but he"s Gone for the day. As I go through my daily meeting later on at approx. 1800 hrs I returned to my room it begin to smell like mildew I was wheezing extremely bad, and I noticed Housekeeping Hadn't CLEANED my room. I then return to the Front Desk and spoke to Yvonne and ask is housekeeping still on the premisses because they Didnt Clean my room. She then replied Everyone has left for the day. Now, I become very Displeased with the Hotel Manager and their Staff. My reply was I would like to move to another room the carpet is Wet and begin to smell. Yvonne DIDNOT try to accomodate me in any way, she said she will send someone down with a Wet Vac to dry the carpet. On Tuesday I return to my room at approx 1736 hrs when I noticed two guys in my room performing housekeeping duties Yvonne was walking down the hallway with a tablet in her hand I then ask " why are these guys in my room" she explained to me that the hotel is short handed on Employees in housekeeping, which Explains Why my room Wasn't attened to on Monday 3/12/12. On Wed it was checkout time after a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE staying on that Property. Yvonne Refuse to Comp my room on my Horrible three night Stay.She explain that her manager would have to give me a discount the only thing she can do is take $25.00 off my stay and the manager wasn't there, nor does she know how to get in touch with him.I then ask her did she speak with him about the Unsatisfied Customer and her experiences her reply was "No I Forgot". Please, I ask that you consider your health very seriously and take my Experience as a lesson learned. I have yet to get my Asthma under control after staying on your Property. It cocerns me that other guest will be checking into the same rooms after I leave time and time again having that same Wet Carpet in the room and the Hotel Management Staff has fail to correct the problem. I have made several ATTEMPTS to contact the hotel Manager regarding my Experience and he has Failed in returning all of my Calls.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Shawhif
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Shawhif,

I am deeply sorry for the experience you had with your rooms and the staff.
And thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would like to discuss this matter further with you.
I have sent you a private message in effort to get more information. Thank you

Katie J
Case Manager
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to our cruise. We found the hotel well kept, clean and fairly quiet. We had the breakfast in the morning. Although it had the usual "powdered scrambled eggs" that even my husband wouldn't eat, the rest of the food was very tasty and adequate. We found the employees helpful and kind.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Hotel is nice, clean, and comfortable.Breakfast standard Holiday Inn Express fair. Gets old if you say a HIE much. Staff nice and helpful. Location close to the beach and close to Wal-Mart and a few places to eat. Good place to say if your cruising the next day. They offer parking, but we parked close to the ship. One thing; we wanted bottled water because the Galveston Water does not suit our taste. No water at the desk and all four machines in the hotel were sold out. What else could we do but get in the car and go to Wal-Mart for water. Over all average for the cost.

Room Tip: Bring your own water.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple