“Galvestonian' s Perfect Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Galvestonian

The Galvestonian
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Council Bluffs, IA
“Galvestonian' s Perfect Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

The location of the condo and beach is perfect for children. You dont have to worry about them trying to run across the seawall. This is the main reason we booked this condo.

Condo seemed well kept with everything you need in the kitchen. Housekeeping comes once a day to make beds & take out garbage.

Clean beach & pool everyday. They furnish towels. The beach was never crowded which made it enjoyable.

I booked a 2 bedroom which they told me it would hold 6. I got one king & two twins. We had 3 adults & 3 kids. Guess who slept where? Be sure you specify the type of beds. We did have a nice view on the 10th floor.

The only draw back--you have to drive, not even a walking distance convenient store.

Major Complaint--Maintenance changed out our door while we were out almost the entire day without alerting us the day before & to make matter worse--they left our door unlocked! Reported to front desk but they didnt care.

All in All, we had a good time. My husband enjoyed location but I guess I prefer to be closer to the seawall. We never really used the kitchen to cook. Ha Ha

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ennisgirltelico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
lousiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

After searching and searching for a place for our annual girls trip I came across the Galvestonian. Despite my skepticism because of some of the reviews listed on trip advisor we booked anyway. So happy we did. We stayed in 1110 and it was a nice unit, but after our first night stay we had some a/c challenges....they were quick to change us to a beautiful 2 bedroom at no additional charge unit 914 for the remainder of our trip. The beach access was great, no long walks and basically just the people staying at the condos. The other sides of the beach were much more crowded and busy. The pool area was nice and everything was kept clean. You even have maid service just like a hotel. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank bcappo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I must say I was eager to check-in to the Galvestonian after reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor...what a disappointment. Now, it's not that the property isn't nice, it is in all it's basic features...nice lobby, decent pool area, direct beach access on the beach side (not across Seawall). However, the rooms are straight out of 1970 and haven't been updated since. As this is a vacation property and each condo is owned individually I knew going into it that the condos were dependent on the owner. When I checked in the very helpful reception staff (a highlight) showed me room after room to see if there was anything suitable and after seeing every available room I only stayed the one night instead of the full week I had planned on. I moved next door to the beautiful Palisade Palms the next day. While the Galvestonian may have at one time been "the place to stay" in Galveston that time has most definitely come and gone. At the most I would give this hotel 2.5 out of 5 stars. The fitness room is just two treadmills in a tiny space. The pool area, while a bit dated, is beautiful, as is the main lobby. But if you are looking for something above a 2 or 2.5 star hotel this is not the place for you. Just because it is expensive does not mean you are getting a property worthy of that price. What I would recommend this property for is a family looking for something right on the beach (again, don't have to cross Seawall) that wants to save some $ by having your own kitchen. The living area in the condos is really small though so make sure to see the room before signing on the dotted line so you aren't stuck in a claustrophobic space.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank scoutgirl1228
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

Bad management, very inflexable! Rooms are antiquated.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank escobaral100
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

...because if the unit is not ready to rent - DON'T RENT IT!!!!
We have stayed in this unit several times previously and have always enjoyed it, very pleasant and perfectly suited for a mature couple.
BUT....
I understand there was hurricane damage - 14 months ago! BUT, if the glass is falling out of the door to the balcony, do something, don't just tell the renter that "the parts are on order"!!! I suggested that the maintenance people please seal the glass to the door frame with duct tape, ugly as it is, to stop the wind whistling noise and erratic climatic control. Also, the entry door had no weather stripping - I used my own masking tape to seal the cold out. This is NUTS!!
And finally, from the owner's locked closet - in the night - came a static sound. Ultimately it was a portable radio which had shorted out and "turned itself on". And the front desk said, too bad, we don't have a key. I picked the lock and removed the batteries.
The point here is, as I said, if it is NOT READY, DON'T RENT IT.
Still love the place, but very disappointed in the last visit.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Megalopolis
Central Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Great place to unwind & relax; very private & well kept. The best place to stay on the island! Private beach was wonderful & extremely well kept.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

It may cost more than other places we had considered, but overall it was worth it. This was our first visit to Galveston and we chose The Galvestonian because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. We had a room with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a pull-out couch for 5 of us. Tons of room and a nice balcony. Great kitchen space with big fridge and all the amenities, so bring your own food if you don't want to eat out as much.

It's a very nice facility with beautiful surroundings. The Galvestonian is right on the beach with no busy street to cross and it's much more quiet and far less crowded than the strip at Seawall Blvd a couple miles down the road. The beach is very well taken care of and we chose to rent a chair/umbrella unit for $25 per day. We were there around August 10, 2009 and the water was so warm we didn't have to take any time to get used to it, you could just walk right from the beach into the water.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

We would go back here without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family