“AVOID this one at all costs”
Review of Mariner Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galveston
Mariner Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Galveston B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife, grandson, and I just returned from a weekend trip to Galveston Island. We wanted to stay on the beach, but it was an impromptu trip. Without reservations, and having searched to find nothing but expensive rooms all along the seawall, we drove into a few hotels to check prices. The $179 was enticing, as was the location directly across from the Gulf coast. But immediately after checking in, we had serious regrets. Parking was horrific, the locks on the door questionable, the location of our room near the corner back felt unsafe, and their ad of free internet was bogus. The shower had hot water, but "felt" dirty. The beds were okay enough, but if you are used to nice beds -- these weren't those. Avoid this one. You can find a nice hotel for just dollars more, AND get a free continental breakfast. The pool closed at 9:45 p.m. and didn't open until 10 a.m. With an 11:00 check-out time (the front desk rudely called at 10:55 to be sure we were leaving), you don't even get a full 24 hours for your $211 (price with tax). It gets worse. They also require a $5 cash advance for your room key. You get that back, but at the price of the room -- that, too, was an insult on top of feeling taken advantage of. NOT a place you want to stay, even for one night. The room next door's occupants had left their dog closed up in their bathroom during their time at the beach. Forget an afternoon nap! Yap, Yap, Yap.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Wayne D

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Didnt feel safe ,comfortable in the room. Husband and I booked in the morning but had strong regrets as night fell on this establishment. If your looking for poor locks on the doors, semi clean bedding and questionable characters that come out of the wood work after dark then this is your place. It is right across from the beach and convenient to walk to restraunts but thats about it. I would not go there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank melodystrother
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here despite the $70 cost because it's right on the sea wall and it had a pool and wifi advertised.

Well, the rooms are a fair size but I immediately found a pill on the floor next to the bed.

I had pizza delivered because my car was blocked in by the five police cars that were there to arrest a loud and drunk man staying there.

When my daughter woke up to grab a slice of pizza for her midnight snack, there was a roach in the box. IN THE REFRIGERATOR.

I called the desk and he said I could come get a can of spray! So I stayed up all night spraying the many roaches that I saw on the walls.

And the shower only had hot water and no soap provided at all.

The pool was nice and the wifi worked in the parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Carriehowser1
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I have previously stayed at the Mariner and had nothing but excellent things to say about it for the price. My wife and I went there two nights ago, we paid for the room then went to Academy and Wal-Mart for a couple small items and to ride thru town to see the changes. Sadly the worst change I encountered was the Mariner. We were gone about four hours when we returned we entered our room to find FELINE CAT tracks on the sheets, I was shocked to say the least. When we looked closer we found hair and other debris in the bed. I called the desk for another room he informed me there were none. When I went there he then offered another room in the darkest corner of the building. I declined due to the UNSAVORY CHARACTERS roaming around there. He then offered us clean sheets to put on ourselves and again another room. By then I was tired of the games being played so I declined this as well. I requested a refund due to the lack of sanitation. After much arguing and phone calls to the manager (offsite) they returned all but $20 of my money. I will not be guilty of staying there again. It is worth the extra $40 to get a room in a nicer place. I then went to another establishment where my wife and I were treated with the utmost respect in a clean atmosphere with excellent service and a cozy room that we were able to enjoy like we would expect at home.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. I suggest Main Stay.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Country67
Reviewed April 25, 2011

1st of all, our key to the room DID NOT WORK and would not open the door, when they finally managed to BREAK IT OPEN we walk in to find about a dozen flies just flying around in this dump of a room!! 2ndly, we take our shoes off to get comfortable and began to walk around and the carpet/floor is DAMP!!!!!!!!!!! Super GROSS!!!! We wet to complain and they checked us into another room! Again, had a HARD time with the key!! Finally we get in, the carpet was not damp, there wasnt THAT MANY flies, the restroom sucks, you cant close the door or open it all the way, the ceiling is gross and moldy, the tv (big BOX) kept distorting the image!! WORST $162 I ever SPENTTTTTTTT!!! This room was not even WORTH $62!! Then to make things EVEN WORSE we forgot a bag and they claim they "DID NOT SEE ANYTHING"!!!! How can you miss a BIG PINK BAG!???? Oh and did I mention, you better have $5 CASH in your pocket to pay for your key, and when you check out they return the $5 to you, well we cheked out and returned the key and did NOT get our $5 back!! So $162+ 5 = $167 WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Claudg81
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed for two weeks... hotel staff was quite polite and helpful, especially when the WIFI went out on my laptop. No cleaning people banging on your door early. Bed was big and comfortable, fridge kept my food and drink ice cold. TV up high so I didn't have to prop myself up. Nice and quiet. Near the end of the seawall, so less traffic and tourists too. Finally, nice view. Pool looked good, but too cold to swim.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I previously reviewed this motel for a 2009 summer visit. I attempted numerous times to book for August 2010 for 10 days and each time I called the front desk was unable to do it. One gentleman told me he'd have the owner/mngr return my call. I called approx. FOUR times. Then when I spoke with a young woman, I was told no reservations were taken in the summer, it was "rooms available on walk in basis only - NO exceptions). Needless to say, I spent my summer vacation w/the teen girls at Best Western Beachfront for LESS $$.
In October, I stayed 2 nights with a small group of friends (2 to a room). NONE of us had a clean room. Mine was the "cleanest" and saying CLEAN is an exaggeration. We had rooms that were absolutely ROACH INFESTED. When I approached the front desk, I was told the cleaning lady would "spray for bugs". She did not. We went to WalMart to purchase RAID. It didn't work. I hung my suitcase up so I wouldn't take roaches home. We spent the majority of time OUTSIDE the room.
I will NOT stay here again. Quite embarrassed that I'm the one who recommended this place for our annual girls getaway. I was simply glad to get away from the Mariner Inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends