“Overpriced. Small rooms. Bad pool bar.”

Hilton Galveston Island Resort
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Trophy Club, Texas
“Overpriced. Small rooms. Bad pool bar.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We took the family for a last minute escape, just before school started in August. WASTE OF MONEY. I am a Hilton HHonors Gold VIP member and have come to expect great things from their hotels. This one was priced at over $300 per night, which led me to expect the typical high quality that I experience at most Hilton properties. At $300+ per night we should have called one of the local beach house rental agencies and rented a house. This place was crowded, loud, dirty and had poor service except at breakfast. The pool bar drinks were overpriced and poorly mixed. I have never seen so many tattoos and piercings in one pool at one time. We decided to hang out by the beach instead. I could go on, but..........

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your cadid comments on Trip Advisor. We are always striving to improve so your feedback is welcomed. I will forward your review to our operational staff. I hope that you will have a nice day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We typically alsways stau at Hilton Hotels. In this case it was for us to attend a conference at the center next door. As always the staf was extremely polite and cordial. Our room was great and had a nice view of the water-Gulf of Mexico.
The first morning we had a problem at breakfast. The food was 45 minutes late, with few guests in the restaurant and when it arrived the toast was burned. We complained and Kelly took charge. She provided us with a free breakfast coupon for the next day and that next morning she personally saw to it that we received

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review on Trip Advisor. Your opinion is very valuable to our staff and future guests to the area. I hope to see you back very soon.

Jonesboro, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The staff was wonderful - they should be very proud to have them working at the hotel. Made my week stay very enjoyable. Location is great - lots of good places to eat within walking distance and with the Kroger next door made it easy to get anything I might have forgotten to bring.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank You, thank you, thank you. I appreciate the very nice review to Trip Advisor. I hope to see again when in the area. Have a great day!
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2013

everything went great The hotel staff was the most gracious, friendly, and helpful
the palm restaurant in the hotel was the best dining i've ever had. waitress's kelly and tiffany were outstanding and professional. will stay again soon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013

Branson, Missouri
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel staff was the most gracious, friendly, and helpful I have been around. Kristina at the desk was the best! She went out of her way, above and beyond to ensure I was happy. The housekeeping staff and maintenance staff were also very friendly and were anxious to make the difference. The staff there is the difference from an average hotel to an awesome experience. The rooms are expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Napa, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton as part of a conference the first week of October 2013. The hotel itself is great - the staff was the most friendly and outgoing I've experienced in a long time. Everyone from the front desk to the maintenance workers working on renovations took the time to look you in the eye and greet you, make sure everything was okay, and offer assistance if needed. The property is nice... the pool area and swim-up bar are great. My only problem with my stay was the location. It is just far enough away from The Strand and other "eastern Seawall Blvd" attractions to need to drive or cab. Waiting 15-20 minutes for a cab to take me 2-3 miles was frustrating - I usually ended up walking instead. The hotel would do its guests a great service by offering bike rental. All-in-all, it was a great property, just in a mediocre location.

Room Tip: I stayed in the tower that faced the Gulf - great views, but no balconies. The balcony rooms had gr...

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel staff is possibly the most outstanding from a service standpoint I have enjoyed in at least a decade. The property itself is in need of some upgrades/improvements, and renovation had begun the week before I left. I will absolutely return to see the changes - I had the privilege of seeing a small area with the new carpeting and wallpaper, and I can assure that it is going to be beautiful.

As beautiful as the hotel will be (and it is perfectly acceptable in it's current condition), the service is what will bring you back. And the word "service" doesn't do the hotel justice - it's all about attitude. From the minute you meet the bell staff to your first encounter with the front desk (my personal favorite department at this hotel), you will be treated as though you are the only person staying there, and that you have just become the newest member of their family.

I have had the extremely good fortune to have been given the opportunity to travel around the world, and the Hilton should package this entire hotel full of employees and send them around the world to other hotels just to train others in why we call this a "Hospitality" Industry.

Room Tip: The Oceanside View is obviously the first choice anyone would make. However, I had a west side view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I personally appreciate yor feedback about your stay at the Hilton Galveston. Your comments as well as others are very valuable to our operation. Please consider us for future stays.