“Beautiful Hotel!”

Hilton Galveston Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed April 2, 2008

After our recent stay at this hotel, I felt it necessary to let travelers know what a fantastic hotel stay we had at the Hilton Galveston. Upon arrival, we were treated so well from the doormen who could see from our vehicle we were a long way from home (WI), to the front desk staff. Our first impression was a very positive one! The hotel grounds were extremely well kept and the front lobby was very delightful as well. Parking in the back was a bit tricky due to the large renovation project on the 2nd floor(at least they are updating rooms during a low peak season). Our guest room was very tastefully decorated and super clean. We had a set of our parents staying next door to us (adjoinging rooms) and they were very pleased also. We had a room on 3rd floor with a great gulf-view and balcony we used a few times to catch the breeze. The bathroom was small, but was made up by the Crabtree &Evelyn goodies and the gorgeous tropical modern decor- loved that! The pool was great and well kept. It was a lagoon style area with a fantastic swim-up bar, waterfall, nice size hot tub, sauna, and great cushioned lounge chairs. Very nice place to stay for a family!! Location was perfect, on the heart of Seawall Blvd. Rainforest Cafe walking distance also IHOP for breakfast is handy. This hotel shows they certainly take pride to make it enjoyable for all guests feel at home. Would definitely stay here again if we get back to Galveston!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JinxieGreenBay
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed March 31, 2008

Still a great hotel. Wonderful pool. Can run for miles on the seawall across the street. Check out the Grocery just on the other side of conv ctr (1 block) for fresh fruit and deli items instead of the overpriced restaurant in the hotel. Try Casey's for good food! No Wi-fi and internet connection is tricky. Great views from most rooms, ample parking. Good for families, business travellers and anyone looking for ocean view and nice pool. Construction (Mar/08) very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nolahahnes
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I read the reviews on this hotel and I was a little worried. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised. We got a new room and it was beautiful. It was very clean and well decorated. I stayed at the San Luis the last time I was in Galveston and I thought the room at the Hilton was nicer. The pool was great and the staff was very friendly. They had a movie and complimentary face painting for the kids on Saturday night.

Reviewed March 21, 2008

This is an older hotel which needs alot of work. I am a member of Hilton Honors, so I usually find the Hilton line very clean and in good repair. We booked a room overlooking the gulf with balcony. Window glass was smeared, carpet dirty, and bathroom needed work. Since we were there over Spring Break, we paid top dollar for the room. Hall noise carried into the room into the late hours.

I will say the staff were very courteous, the pool very nice, and the hotel was in an ideal location. We did not have to tolerate the unruly drunken crowds on that portion of the beach. It was a family environment.

Reviewed March 10, 2008

As other reviews state, this hotel is very old and is in terrible need of an update, though they have started remodeling (it's quite obvious with the awful-looking trash chute and garbage dumpsters on the side of the hotel). Unfortunately, we did not get one of the remodeled rooms. Our floor was noisy in general and our room had an ajoining door to the room next door, which was quite unpleasant, especially since our neighbors were up at 6:00 each morning and were very noisy. We had to turn the fan on high to drown out the noise (and it was chilly out and the heat was needed, but wouldn't stay on constantly to give us the noise we needed). The room, however, was clean and the staff was curteous. The hotel was very overpriced for what it was, though ($160/night for the AAA rate, not including taxes which totaled to almost $200/night). I generally like Hilton-brand hotels, but this one did not live up to the Hilton standards I am used to.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Up until Saturday night, I would've given the Hilton a pretty good rating. I was even beginning to think that I liked the Hilton hotels better than the Marriotts. But then, there was the roach...I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the years, but this is the first time in a really long time that I've seen a roach in my room. I mean, you know they're probably there, lurking behind the walls somewhere, but when you see it crawling on your wall, ICK!!!

We arrived on Friday night. Our room was in the tower facing the Gulf. It had been renovated probably w/in the last year and I was pleased overall. There was hair on the floor in the bathroom (not just "a" hair, but several), but I guessed it was probably (hopefully) from the maid and got over it. Our room was close to the elevator which was a little annoying, but with the a/c fan running, it wasn't too bad. Great location, right across the street from the beach. Everything is relatively close in Galveston.

On Saturday we began running to others in our group who were complaining that their rooms smelled of smoke, old smoke or had a musty smell. I never noticed that in our room, but by Sunday began to notice it in the downstairs lobby. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly, so no complaints there at all. And we didn't have a problem parking, but I did hear from others who had left in the evening and had trouble parking when they returned. Landry's and Rainforest Cafe were next door, so many of their patrons also use the Hilton's parking lot.

The roach made his appearance on Saturday night. I was sitting in the chair and saw something out of the corner of my eye. I was able to smack him with a shoe before he ran behind the a/c unit. He was the only one I saw, but you know if there's one, he has relatives. I'm not a fan of bugs, so this was very disturbing to me and I was uneasy the rest of the time we were there. I suddenly felt like I was staying in filth.

Sunday was the only time we ate at the hotel restaurant. I wasn't impressed. There were a total of 10 people seated and it took way too long to get our food. I had a seafood cob salad that was lousy, at best. And the little girl at our table had a grilled cheese sandwich and the cheese wasn't even melted. The fries were good though! And the waitress did offer to give us drinks to go, so that was nice. We ordered room service on Sunday morning. It arrived right on time and the food was good.

So overall, I don't have big complaints, but the bug issue really blew it for the Hilton. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it and I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank LakeLizard
Reviewed February 21, 2008

The AC in this hotel is an window type unit by the sliding door.
It was SOOO LOUD I could not sleep because everytime it came on it woke me up. (which was every hour) You can not turn it off becuase it got very very humid in the room. So I just let my family sleep and I just dealt with it.

The hotel itself isnt all that bad, and the location is quite good.
We ate at the resturant for breakfast and it was very good. The OJ was fresh squeezed!

The pool area looked fun, but it was much too cold for us.

The parking for cruising is super. They shuttle you on very nice shuttles to the pier. Quick and efficient. They pick you up fairly fast at the end of your cruise as well.

Like I said if you can live with the AC then you will do well here.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family