“AWFUL - STAY AWAY!”

Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Dallas, Texas
“AWFUL - STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

AWFUL - STAY AWAY! Upon checking in we had SERIOUS issues with the front desk. Most of the staff members were accommodating. However, we had to leave because the damp, mildew stench was unbearable. The wall had pieces falling off and the sliding glass door was not very secure. I the door hurt my hand called the front desk they even don't care to care,We had an ocean view room (but, mainly saw the hideous roof). The floors were not clean. They had a glade plug in right outside the elevator, but trust me they need something more than that all throughout that place. I could not sleep b/c I felt damp and sticky all night. I washed my hair and was going to let it air dry, however after 3 hours it was still soaking wet..... The room was soooo humid! For what we paid I was shocked by what I saw/felt/smelled in that place. We left early and were NOT able to get a refund for our remaining days, I called the management so at least they can pay my medical bill for hurting my hand they blame it on me, I can't believe the claim lady for this hotel work as a waitress next door restaurant!
SO I DO NOT RECOMOND THIS HOTEL ONE BIT!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 1, 2011

The hotel itself was fine, but the elevators need a lot of work. We were staying on the 5th floor and one of the elevators was broken the entire time we were there. The other one was very slow and when you reached your floor you had to press the "open door" button to have the door open, otherwise you went back to the ground floor. Most hotels these days have free internet and they did not. We were also told that breakfast was served until 11 a.m. We went to the restaurant for the free continental breakfast and was told that ended at 10 a.m. Went to the fitness room and it was extremely hot and there was not a way to adjust the temperature.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We booked a room with 2 double beds since we were travelling with our two kids. We booked and paid four months in advance of our arrival date. Upon arrival we were informed that they had no rooms available with two beds. Inconvenient, but we'll live. The next morning we had breakfast in the hotel and were treated to ice cold eggs and luke warm coffee (for $50.00). Upon checking out I discovered that we were charged twice for the room and I had to argue with the hotel staff to get the second billing removed from my credit card. Save yourself some grief and stay somewhere else.

1 Thank newport30
Verona
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Our family had a great stay at the Hilton on Galveston Island for $99 per night. The first time I contacted the hotel I was quoted $400 per night. I called again the next night and asked why the rate was so high and she said becuase you are arriving on a saturday. She gave me a AAA rate of $135. We changed our arrival time again and this time I got a rate of $99. Go figure. Ask questions if you are unsure about the rate.

I had read reviews on trip advisor ahead of time so I knew that the rooms were nice, the restaurant expensive, the pool was very nice and that the internet connections were sketchy. All of that was true. The location was fabulous as its located in a nice safe central section of the island that is well maintained. The hotel is very close to the seawall which is what we were looking for.

We had a room that faced the pool and part of the gulf. I had planned ahead of time that we would most likely not eat at the restaurant but use coupons and go to others nearby. There was a really nice Landry's right next door as well as an IHOP that we used quite often. If you ask at the front desk they have coupons for both Landry's and the Rainforest cafe for free appetizers. Split your party up at different tables and use more coupons and less money. For our family of four, we always split resulting in this result. Go to the restaurant websites and join their eclubs for free coupons as well. There is a Krogers two blocks away.

The internet connection was not good in the room, however you could get it to work in the lobby area of the hotel. We used the San Luis pool as well as the pool at the Hilton which were both very nice. Overall, we had a good experience at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a gulf view room.
1 Thank leases
COtravler77, Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2016
All around great comments said about the hotel and staff and we appreciate this. We have made improvements over the years since your last visit and we wanted to say thank you and we cannot wait for you to return. Thank you once again.
Warsaw, Kentucky
Reviewed April 9, 2011

When we checked in to our first room we notice a weird water leak from the toilet. Called the front desk and they sent up a bellhop to move our bags to a new room down the hall. Very nice touch! Second room was perfect. I really liked the fact that being a Hilton Honors Gold VIP member, I was able to check in early and get a late check out the following day.

The pool and hot tub is great. We really enjoyed the swim up bar in the pool. I would definitely stay again.

2 Thank OnTheRoadAgainKY
kristin s, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2016
I apologize this is so late in communication however we wanted to reach out and say thank you for staying at the Galveston Island Hilton. We pride ourselves on a consistent product with exceptional customer service. Thank you once again.
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The front desk staff was friendly and our check-in process went smoothly. Our room was ready, nice and clean - no concerns. Kudos to the house cleaning staff as they were great (flexible on their service timing and very polite). We found all the staff helpful.

Even with the beach right there we still spent quite bit of time around the pool - it 's area was spread out enough so you didn't feel like everyone was on top of each other. Although the pool side grill was not open during our stay, the pool bar accepted food orders.

The resort itself is located between a Kroger grocery store and Landry's / Rain Forest Cafe / IHOP restaurants. All easily within walking distance or property shuttle service on the weekends. Make sure you head over and watch the volcano erupt (every 30 minutes after dark) on the Rain Forest Cafe.

Our only downside was the lack of wifi service in the room (it just didn't work) and at times we even struggled for a signal in the lobby.

All in all, our family really enjoyed the resort and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
It is great to hear that you will be returning in the near future. We strive hard to offer a consistent product with exceptional service. Thank you for your business and comments about the hotel and staff.
Orange, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The room was great and very clean. Staff was great. Very disappointed in the view. It is not Beach front. It's side view parking lot. The money spent on it I would rather stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends