“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Surfside, TX
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

This was my first time to stay at Harbor House. I have wnated to for years but I always end up going to their sister property, The Tremont House. For a more casual, laid-back weekend, Harbor House is the place to be. I love the room, comfy, comfy beds with good linens ( I admit I am a linen snob, so this means a lot!) the frig and microwave were such a nice extra. I was able to bring back my left-overs from surrounding restaurants and eat them later. And the area is impossible to beat - some of Galveston's best eateries are steps from the hotel. Great art galleries, shopping, coffee houses, and fun pubs. And the Ghost Tours of Galveston with Dash Beardsley is a great extra to do. Lots of history is delivered in his walking tour of the Strand. Great place to stay and so much to do. Ask for a room over looking the Elissa, The Tall Ship.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Rude staff, Late check-in policy (after 4:00), Check in was a joke. No help with luggage (Mother in wheel chair) Charge for parking ($10.00 per night)
Better value from other hotels on the island with more to offer. My family will never stay here again. Rooms could have been cleaner.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank janet68Texas
Texas City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Harbor House Hotel. This is a very nice hotel right in the middle of what’s happening. Service at check in was very nice although a bit slow. The room was very nice and clean. Hint ask for a room facing the Tall Ship Elisa, the other side is facing the parking lot. Jimmy G’s restaurant is a very nice restaurant and is 50 feet from the hotel just make a reservation before hand. The hotel has a nice breakfast buffet, mostly pastries and juice. The Historic Galveston Strand is with in walking distance. One thing that I was not happy with was that they charged me $10.00 a day to park. I was surprised because I didn’t know about this charge before hand.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank firebreak2
Braumont, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We have reservations for 10/30/09 – 11/01/09. This is our anniversary weekend and we had hoped for a wonderful weekend. We have stayed at Harbor House before and had been please. But, this time there is a concert stage setup right under our window. The band played Friday night until after 2am at a rather loud level. Needless to say we didn’t get any sleep until after the band closed down. Well, now it’s Saturday night and the band has really got the noise level on extra high loud tonight. We are totally exhausted and we just need some sleep. My husband and I both have spoken to the lady at the front desk and all she did was say she couldn’t do anything about the noise. She did give me a number to contact the manager and said we should go ahead and call him tonight. But, when I called, I was told he was unavailable. But, the issue would be mentioned to him tomorrow. But, we are tired and sleepy tonight. We feel it is unfair for us to be paying for a room that we can’t sleep in due to the noise level. So much for a happy anniversary! Absolutely horrible experience!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank V59
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed here only because of the positve reviews on TA. What a disappointment. 1) Traveled with 2 kids and 4 suitcases and the elevator was out of order for days before I arrived and fixed on the day we departed. Not warned on the website or by the hotel staff. 2) Only guest ice machine in the hotel was out of order. 3) WIFI was down because modem had been broken for days. 4) Requested additional pillows and it took 90 minutes. 5) When I was finally going to sleep, realized the door lock was broken and had to move rooms at midnight. 6) Was awakened at 5am by the alarm clock in the room next door. Paper thin walls. 7) Good thing I was up because my 6AM wake up callnever occurred. 8) Requested to speak with the Manager on Duty and was told they are "hard to reach because they office at the Tremont hotel down the street". 9) Left a complaint voice mail after check out and never received a returned call. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank deepthoughts
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Went to Galveston for the day and wanted a hotel close to the Bolivar Ferry for a morning fishing trip. The cost of the hotel was considerably cheaper on a Thursday than the weekend, so there are no complaints about the cost. The room was clean, but the bed was not very comfortable and the furniture in this room was showing alot of wear. Of course, this room faced the water on 2 sides, so I am sure it took the brunt of Hurricane Ike! The hotel seems to still be in a bit if repair from storm damage. The room itself was very spacious and there are NO complaints about the service or the staff. They were all above average and very gracious! I would most definitely stay there again, but not at the summer weekend rates (that I thought were a bit expensive). Very close to the Strand and the Elissa are a big plus. Olympia Restaurant had a fantastic lunch and Willie G's across the street was expensive, but outstanding!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

What a surprise! We loved the Harbor House. Very friendly staff, nice clean room, great view, & great location. What more could you want? Nice continental breakfast, coffee, juice, pastries, bagles, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal. Just perfect before heading out for the day. You can walk to the fishing party boats. And you are withing walking distance to several nice restraunts & shopping. We had no trouble getting to the beach. Stewart Beach is still well worth the $$ you pay to get in, it is just much cleaner than the beach on Seawall Blvd. Also the Harbor House refills baskets on each floor every night with some type of fruit. My son loved grabbing an Apple or Orange on the way to the elevator. Yea he ate plenty of fruit on vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family