“A Couple of Complaints”

Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Really liked staying there until money that we had left in the night stand beside the bed had been stolen. Obviously the cleaning people lifted the money. So totally did not trust leaving anything of value in the room when we were gone. Reported it to the front desk and never heard back from them.

The other major problem are the air conditioners in the rooms are extremely noisy and we were told they were new units which I do not believe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank debbie k
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2011

I am sorry your money was taken or misplaced. We will contact you directly to find out what happend. The air conditioning units were all replaced in the last year. We will see if we can make them run more quietly.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

Loved the location of the Harbor House. Easy walking distance to the strand and the arts district. Good harbor views from the room. Was so quiet and peaceful for our romantic morning and sunset strolls. Not at all like the seawall area with its crowds. Parking is $10 a day but you may come in and out as often as you like and it is close to the room. Restaurant downstairs had a great view of the harbor from outdoor seating.

Continental breakfast was convenient and adequate. Coffee, juices, pastries, fruit, oatmeal and yogurt. Enjoyed our trip and would certainly return to the Harbor House at Pier 21.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2011

1) Check in process: The young man was not courteous. We were very rushed and it was unpleasant. There were several people behind us so it was CRAMPED in the so called lobby which is the size of a broom closet. Maybe that is why he was somewhat rude. (The morning person was FABULOUS.)

2) The lighting system in the room in INSANE. What is the point of the dimmers? Then, when we finally got to bed, we got rid of the lights and the plug didn't work. My husband is on a breathing machine at night and guess what???? He is gasping for air! The plug doesn't work when the lights are off. Beware if you are using it for health reasons or just to charge your phones. It was horrible.

3) Noise. We had barely put our bags down and I thought... wow, that must be a big ship going by! I was excited! Rushed to the window, NOTHING. Guess what the noise was??? Our AIR CONDITIONER. Yes, we had the loud and I do mean LOUD noise each time it came on. We thought it was a ship it was so loud!!

4) Breakfast? What breakfast? Cut off on breakfast time at 9 AM for weekend is insane. We travel alot, bed and breakfast, other hotels and it is 9:30 or 10 weekends. So, we didn't get any.

We were very glad to get back to our own bed, our air conditioner that makes minimal noise and lights that work.

We won't be back to the Harbor House. VERY overpriced for the $243 total bill we paid with it all total.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank txfrmgrl
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Very quaint and "olde world" feel in the heart of The Strand. Right on the marina, wonderful views and walking-distance to wonderful eating and shopping. A very short drive to Seawall/beach access. No pool, but sister-hotel GALVEZ has everything, and you can have complete access to all their amenities with a parking garage. COLD A/C in rooms - wonderful on a hot July Texas day! Friendly staff. Small feel, won't get lost in the crowds of larger resorts. Internet didn't work the first day, so the engineering manager added an outlet near our room by the end of the day and it worked perfectly for the remainder of our stay. Comfortable beds, plenty of room for our family of 5. I would give a few marks off for their continental breakfast, we ended up eating in a restaurant instead. Otherwise, two thumbs up. Parking costs $10/day per car, but it is within gates and feels very secure. Hotel kept very clean. This is a very small hotel, so don't expect a huge resort-feel. I would use the words: quaint, cozy, modest, beachy, almost like a B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor, closest to the harbor, facing East to avoid sunset heat.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Mommy40Plus
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I stay here on June 10 prior to a cruise leaving out of Galveston. This was also our 20th Anniversary!

My husband had called and reserved our room even mentioning that it was our anniversary while on the phone. He did ask if possible, we would like a room that you can watch the cruise ships come into port. The person on phone indicated that rooms are assigned as you check-in, and that we check-in early that Friday. My husband indicated that would be impossible as we would be driving around 10 hours that day and would arrive after 10 p.m. Our room was $179 with an additional $10 for parking plus tax of $27.65 for a total of $216.65.

We arrived around 10:30 p.m. that evening. We had no trouble being buzzed into the parking area. The parking seems secure. I am not sure if it is video monitored or not.

We went into the lobby hoping for a restroom. Sadly, there is not. So if you are driving from a distance and hoping to use the lobby restroom prior to check-in, you are out of luck. You might want to stop at a convenience store on your way.

We received our room assignment, with a view of the restaurant next door, Willy G's. No anniversary magic view for us. But that is ok.

After setting our things in the room, using the restroom, and seeing our view, DH and I walked out of the hotel to see where we would need to go to watch the ship come into port in the morning. It was very accessible.

We noticed a horse and carriage nearby and decided to go for a carriage ride. It was very nice. I think the price was $25. She even stopped at a small grocery on The Strand were DH picked up some Caffeine Free Diet Cokes for us to enjoy on the ride. She would have stopped at another location if we would have preferred something stronger to drink.

Once back, we checked out how far it was to walk to the Carnival terminal and it was very close.

We turned in for the night. We found the room to be clean, lacking in towels, and the bed to be uncomfortable.

At 5:30 a.m., I was no longer able to stay in the bed as I found it to be that hard. So I Googled with my 3G phone and watched the cruise cam until I could see the ship rounding the bend. I hurried out to watch the ship come into port. Amazing! This is the best reason to stay here! There were also dolphins that came in with the ship.

After watching the ship come in, I peeked into the breakfast area which looked to be pastries.

DH and I decided to walk over to the Tremont Hotel for breakfast. It was about 3 blocks, maybe 4. What an excellent choice! The food was wonderful! We were able to sit at a table that had a computer with internet service so could check our email and Google a couple of things! The service was great here as well.

We headed back to the hotel to grab our luggage. At check-in, we paid an additional $20 to leave our car here while on the cruise. This was another great feature of the hotel. When we returned, the car was secure and we were able to be on our way. Again, no restroom in the hotel lobby, so be sure to take care of that before leaving the ship!

Pros -
Location is excellent for pre-cruise stay.
You can walk out and watch the ship dock in the morning.
You can leave your car here during the cruise for an additional $20.
The Carnival Terminal is closest to the hotel. RCCL is farthest.
You can easily walk to the Carnival Terminal.
The room was clean.
The room was quiet.

Cons -
No restroom in the lobby. Lobby is very small.
Request for a nice view are not granted, even for a 20th Anniversary.
Bed was uncomfortable, too hard.
The breakfast was very minimal, but would work if you want to eat pastries.
I think there were two towels in the bathroom. Not enough. I use two towels.

I would not stay here with my children as we would need two rooms, and it would not be worth spending over $400 for the night.

DH and I might stay here again just the two of us, but the Tremont looked really nice, so might try there next time.

Room Tip: Leave your car here during a cruise for a $20 fee.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rykarunner
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This place is unique in its' architecture - and the location is pretty good (couple blocks from the Strand), but the owners/management seem to feel it is unneccary to provide what I would consider fundamental amenities:

- No pens nor paper in the room
- Too few towels
- No information on surrounding area in the room
- No extra blankets or pillows in the room
- Only one cup of coffee in the room
- Wireless internet didn't work
- Ceiling fan didn't work
- 9am to close up breakfast is early for a weekend morning - one more hour wouldn't hurt
- 72 hour cancellation policy is non-standard and ridiculous

I love the architecture of the room and building, but it isn't worth the $200 per night stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank VespaTex
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2011

You are right about the items in your room and I apologize. These items should have been there. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

I booked a room on a discount site, paying about $90. When I checked in, I did as I always do and try to be charming to the staff, hoping for a better room (hotels always have "good" rooms and "bad" rooms within the same grade). Since this hotel looks over the harbor, I asked if, it wasn't any trouble, could she give me a room with a nice view. She didn't look up, and said "I'll see what I can do". When I got to my room, I realized that it had the worst view of any in the hotel; farthest from the water, overlooking the restaurant next door. If they didn't have better, that is fine, I didn't come to look out the window anyway. But a maid told me they weren't sold out so I don't know why I got that room. Also note that almost never is there anyone at the desk when you come in. You have to call out to someone in the back.

The room itself is very nice. The bedding is excellent. My room is very clean and appears freshly painted. The sitting area is nice as well. The room layout could be better. The bed is between the tv and the sitting area, so if one wants to sleep while another watches tv, the tv will be a distraction to the sleeper. Adding to that is the chair is right next to the air conditioner, requiring a higher volume. It is bigger than your average hotel room as well.

Outside of the room, you get nothing else other than the usual toiletries and coffee. There isn't even a notepad, or a magazine of local attractions. They shouldn't claim to offer breakfast. There were some danishes, and other bread items. there were a few yogurt cups in the tray of ice water, along with some small juice bottles, which had been placed in there warm as the top part was warm and the bottom slightly chilled. There are no tables, but a couple of sofas and chairs are there. most people took stuff back to their rooms. no cereal, no steam table, nothing. i tried to eat a danish but it wasn't good, so I went to McDonalds. There was only one "regular" coffee carafe, which apparantly had been taken to be refilled just prior to my arrival.

The location is great if you plan to stay on the Strand. If you are going for the beach I'd stay elsewhere.

Another thing: they have such low wattage bulbs that it is impossible to read a book at night. Also the A.C. shuts itself off somehow, so when you come in after a day in the hot sun, you come in to a cold room (lights shut off automatically too).

At the price I paid, I'm happy. But if I'd paid $150 or so I'd feel like I didn't get my money's worth. There is nothing "boutique" about the hotel. It is just a nice room without any other amenities. Oh, and when management reads this, know that the faux wood floor in the sink area of room 228 has a loose tile. it sticks to my foot and pulls up then flops back in place. Are they rubber?

One other thing to offer: Room numbers that are even face west, odd to the east. 28 is the highest ending number on second floor, its farthest from the water. So obviously 200 would be the closest.

Room Tip: Call and confirm a low #.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo