“Give it a Try!”

Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Victoria, Australia
“Give it a Try!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at the Scottish Inn. In particular, the couple who own/ run it are most welcoming and obliging. It is situated away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy areas, yet couldn't be more conveniently placed for the ferry. The rooms are spacious and clean and the beds are excellent. It is also good value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David F
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hello David,
Thank you for you review on us, I am sorry it took so long to respond.
Hope you made it back to Australia in good health.
Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Cruise was delayed because of fog in the Galveston harbor. Had to find overnight lodging. Had stayed here a couple of years ago for our first cruise when we drove down and really liked Sam and his wife that own the place. Other places got word of our cruise delay and were raising prices but not Sam. This time rooms were renovated and really nice. This is an older property but don't let that scare you off. Very nice place to stay and only a short cab ride to the cruise terminal. Brought a lady and her daughter with us who were on the cruise also and needed a room. Sam was so nice to take us to the terminal to save us the cab fare. As I said, this is a family run, very clean and nice place to stay and you can't find nicer folks. If I ever drive back to Galveston for a cruise I will definitely stay here again. Very reasonably priced also. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for ground level if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Fred W
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank You Fred and Wife, We hope you had a wonderful cruise., and hope to see you again.
MIDLANDS UK
Reviewed March 1, 2014

About as Scottish as Glenn Campbell!
Asian manager from Bradford UK is running a clean and tidy budget hotel. Refurbishment in hand currently but that didn't cause us any problems.
Breakfast is quite Spartan but OK.
Rather remote from Galveston itself, but do check out the free ferry on the doorstep that allows a lot of the Houston road network to be bypassed if you are headed east.

Room Tip: Maybe look for the beach side?
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MIDLANDS-UK
Thank You for taking time to place a review, we really appreciate your kind comments on my place. Hope to see you again.
Dallas
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Don't let the construction scare you away. The Scottish Inn is open for business and you won't find a more friendly family running it. The rooms are being remodeled and so you may have to step over the materials, but the beds are comfortable and the rooms clean. One point to management: Although the pedestal sinks are fashionable, they don't provide places to put "stuff" while in the bathroom. More traditional sink counters may not look as modern, but they are more convenient.

Room Tip: A room away from the road will be quieter. The ferry traffic can get noisy with trucks.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank retired42
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review, we apologies for the inconvenience of construction .We were looking at the sink to change it for more connivance to our guest.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My brother booked a different hotel for our trip to Galveston, that, upon reading the TERRIBLE reviews (on Yelp and on Trip Advisor), I refused to even give it a shot. He asked for a better suggestion and I stumbled upon this place, which is well reviewed, less expensive, AND lacking in certain insects that the other place, with which the other place was rife. Pretty sure that was a run on sentence... sorry.

Brother arrived before me and, while he was waiting, Sam(?), the owner, showed him the room and turned on the A/C. They had a useful chat about the island and things to do/see/avoid. When I arrived, all the paperwork was ready, I just had to hand over my CC and my ID. There is covered parking available on a first come/first serve basis

Seemingly recently renovated, the rooms are clean and equipped with a microwave, mini fridge, mini coffee pot, and a pretty good sized flat screen tv. The beds are quite comfy. The pool looks amazing, though it's a bit too chilly to swim right now.

There are a few downsides, however, but none of them (for me, at least) are dealbreakers. No counter space in the bathrooms. Outlets in odd places, there are no outlets behind/near the nightstand, so you have to charge your phone where you can't hit the snooze button. And, I guess because of the outlet thing, no digital clock. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I'd rather turn over and look at the time instead of getting up to check my phone. Again, by no means are these things deal breakers.

It's right near the ferry dock, off the beaten path. A little bit of a hike from all the things, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Were I to visit Galveston again, I'd certainly stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Quani C
Thank You for staying with us,sorry it took so long to respond.We are happy you enjoyed you stay with us.
Blanco, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I chose to lodge here after considering numerous reviews of several hotel/motels and I was not disappointed in choosing the Scottish Inn. The owner/managers Sam and Sarah were most helpful and friendly. The king room was spacious, clean and Quiet. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the quiet was deafening. :) Intending to avoid the weekend traffic and the boulevard crowds, I chose to visit the area during the week. Although the ferry dock is close by, the night passed quietly.

Room Tip: choose beachside upper
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 10Xtopshot
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank You Gregory for your view on my place; this is a good time of the year to visit the island.
It’s quite and the rates are very fair. We enjoyed having you and wife here. Again thank you from wife and me.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here on a Friday night before Saturday departure on a Disney cruise. The room and beds were comfortable and clean. We did not partake of breakfast, so no review of that aspect of the facilities. The owner was kind and helpful and recommended a local seafood shop for dinner; his recommendation was spot-on. We have no qualms about staying here again if our travels take us back to Galveston.

Room Tip: Our room on the side of the facility was away from the road; therefore it was very quiet. We noticed...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cat2102
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello Michael, thank you for staying with us hope you and family had a wonderful Disney cruise.
I and the wife really appreciate your kind input.