“What a nasty front desk”

Candlewood Suites Galveston
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
ft. worth, tx
“What a nasty front desk”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I won't be staying here again. The front desk was surly and did not advise me of anything offered by the hotel upon checkin. My friend was sitting in the vehicle with the engine running waiting on me and the front desk made me go out in 100 degrees and move the truck away from the entrance. Ugly check-in and a really bad mattress in the room. Charge $75.00 for one night for my 15 pound dog. Check-out early the following morning and a different check-out person at the front desk but not any better than the night before. If you want to feel comfortable, go someplace else.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
16 Thank dfwtx55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I'm a Galveston native and was thrilled to get to take my husband to see my hometown. We're on a budget so we decided to stay off the beach and use the savings for sightseeing and shopping. The price at Candlewood was great, and we certainly got what we paid for. The room was immaculate - no small feat to keep a bathroom clean in that humidity, as I well know - with great A/C and a nice kitchenette with full refrigerator.

Some people have commented that they didn't like the weekly housekeeping. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't change towels and sheets daily at my own house and don't need it when I travel, either. I liked being able to leave for the day without worrying about putting everything away to make housekeeping easier.

Free parking! Free wireless that was faster than I've had at some pricier hotels! They even had DVDs and books at the front desk that you could borrow. We didn't use the pool or fitness center but I did peek in and everything was quite nice.

My one complaint is that the connecting doors between rooms mean you can hear the other room's tv and sometimes even conversations almost as if they were in your room. Fortunately, our neighbors must've realized that if they could hear us, we could hear them, and everyone kept it down after the first few minutes.

It was the perfect place for our little getaway and I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not connected.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This was the best deal on the island for extended stay. The full kitchen saved us a ton of money for the whole week. Rooms were spacious, clean, comfortable a/c. The in room DVD player was great for the kids and for my yoga. Pool was great, clean and upkept. Staff was wonderful, always greeted us, loaned us the toaster oven to make pizza, so accomidating. Only $99/night through www.Galveston.com, saved &20 per night. and still got the priority points. Would definatley stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The room accommodations were fine EXCEPT for the location. We were placed in the room on first (ground) floor right next to the elevator, which was also across the way from the laundry room/fitness center (in which the door closed loudly). It was a weeknight stay but people still came in to use the elevator during late hours. If you stay here, ask for a room not near the elevators. Otherwise, it was clean and acceptable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank challengefish
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This is a fairly new hotel so the rooms are clean. Nice flat screen TV in the room, which also has a mini-kitchen, stocked with utensils. Also free wireless and laundry. Location is not close to the beach so you will need a car.

My only problem with this otherwise decent hotel is that there is no daily housekeeping which was a surprise to me. It didnt matter too much for me since I was here solo for two days but I'm sure if I was here with my family I'd have moved out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Arlington, TX
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Hubby and I were at Candlewood Suites this past Friday night before moving to a friend's beach house on Saturday.

We had a queen room with a kitchenette-full sized fridge, 2 burners, microwave. Fair sized room, nice and cool and very clean. Nice bathroom. The small gym has nice equipment and they have free washers and dryers if you need them. They had a grill for their guests as well.

This hotel is not near the Seawall and is too far to walk to the Seawall for a day at the beach. That's probably why we got a reasonable rate when everything on or near the Seawall-even dumps had crazy prices!

I'd readily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachbumAggie
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2009

When I had to re-book my hotel at the last minute due to an administrative error, I was forced to downgrade my choices because of the change in rates. I normally stay at the hotel Galvez when I am in Galveston and as such enjoy the city a great deal. When I had to book at the Candlewood Suites I was dissapointed because of the location, however when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised with all the other amenities.
upon check-in I was greeted by friendly staff who promptly got me through the check-in process and to my room. now I have stayed in CWS hotels in the past and was not prepared for the renovations that this location had: hardwood floors, flat screen TV, stainless steel appliances and a great assortment of kitchen utensils and diningware. The room was also immaculate (cleaner than a lot of higher end hotels) which made relaxing after a long flight.
I do reccomend that if you stay here you should have a rental car, as I mentioned earlier, the location is not in any way near the beach so if you plan on partaking in the usual tourist fare you would be better off driving there. On the flip side, the hotel does find itself next to a large strip mall complete with a Target store which would be great for picking up any toiletries, beach stuff etc. I am sure their prices would be a LOT lower than the usual 'WINGS' stores nearer to the beach.
All in all I was pleasantly surprised, and as long as you don't expect to walk to the beach you will be too..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business