“Step back in time”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Don't miss an opportunity to sit at the counter of this old-fashioned diner/drug store. Think malts, shakes, banana splits, burgers, deli sandwiches, homemade soups and fountain drinks. Good service, quiet atmosphere. I'm giving this just an average rating because the burger patties seemed to be the preformed kind you find in your grocer's frozen section. I probably should have tried the enticing veggie soup with a grilled cheese instead. Will return if ever if Galveston again for sure.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Our family tried this place for breakfast. There was little to know wait. Parking was good compared to how busy they were. The food was excellent. I'm glad we went further down on trip advisor's list to find these guys. They will definitely be visited every time we come back.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This place has a lot of history, both hurricane and civil rights history. An institution for years, it is well worth a visit. The blt is so good, as is their unique tomato soup. The staff is great! We visit every time we're in Galveston, at least once.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I had this place suggested to us. We both remember when we used to go to the soda fountain when we were young and get root beer floats. The atmosphere was just like an old time soda fountain. There were also tables inside and out, but we chose to sit at the counter. We shared a grilled cheese sandwich and had root beer floats. They were excellent. The counter person was very friendly and the service was excellent and fast. It brought back a lot of memories.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Quality of food and atmosphere are important to me and Star Drug had both. I loved the outdoor seating in the beautiful March weather. There is indoor and counter seating. It wasn't too crowded or noisy (it was Mardi Gras and there was a cruise ship in port.) The food was wonderful; almost a surprise. I ordered french toast and bacon and both were hot, fresh and exceptional. The service was friendly and attentive, but maybe a little slow if you are in a hurry (I was not.) I went on the reviews on Trip Advisor. Another place was recommended first, but they were closed on Sunday. I'm glad, since I got to try this place, which I will definitely visit again for brunch on the Island.