“History”

Dining options: Breakfast
Wichita, Kansas
“History”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place has a great history, and the food ain't bad. I liked the chocolate milkshake made right at the counter. The staff is good and helpful, and the decor is great.

Visited January 2013

Missouri City, Texas
“Good lunch spot”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We three ladies enjoyed a casual lunch in this historic spot. I enjoyed the curry chicken salad with tomato basil soup.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank houstonnative47
Houston, TX
“Go for the sweets!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is neatest little place...if you want ice cream or sweets. The food? It's OK. Really nothing to brag about. It's good, but not amazing. But the ice cream and sweets? AH-MAY-ZING!

We decided to go down here for lunch and a day of Christmas shopping on The Strand. This place has the neatest history so of course I wanted to stop by here for lunch! It's the oldest drug store in Texas and definitely has that old-timey charm! We sat at a table not at the fountain, but it still felt like we had stepped back in time.

The service was good; absolutely no complaints there! When we went, it wasn't terribly busy; the hostess/cashier gave us menus and said we could sit anywhere.

I chose the Bacon, Avocado and Turkey on a croissant, with chips. Hubby decided on a hamburger with chips. You can choose a side salad in stead of chips, or pay a little extra and choose soup.

Mine was good. Really, it was fine. Nothing more than what I could make a home, though. Hubby said his hamburger tasted frozen, not fresh and wasn't really impressed.

Since it was a drug store with a soda fountain we decided to try a sweet treat. I was just going to get a sundae but when the waitress mentioned homemade chocolate cake and ice cream I quickly changed my mind. And holy cow I am so glad I did! That chocolate cake was some of the best cake ever. It was moist and rich and most definitely not from a box. And that homemade chocolate butter cream frosting? My goodness I could swim in that. I could bathe in that. I could do naughty things to and with that.

And the ice cream? Man that ice cream was so flavorful and rich. I just got vanilla with the chocolate cake and hubby got a hot fudge sundae with vanilla ice cream. He said it was one of the best ice cream sundaes he has ever had. Oh yeah. We each had our own dessert. What? You though we shared? Silly rabbit!

The food is definitely not worth four stars but the sweet treats, the service and the history of the place definitely bring it up to four stars! If you're in Galveston, definitely give them a try! And if you don't get chocolate wasted from that cake, then you and I can't be friends.

• Visited December 2012
Houston, Texas
“Oldest Drug Store in Texas”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

A must see stop! Oldest Drug Store in Texas - though they really don't sell drugs here anymore, the atmosphere is wonderful. Great old fashioned breakfast or lunch!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank dbt54
Texas
“the real deal”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

simple breakfast cooked right in front of you; sit at the marble-topped counter for great service and good coffee; lots of history in the place.

Visited December 2012