“Disappointed”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had really high hopes for the Star Drug Store. The store is cute, and takes you back to another time and place. The food was alright, I opted for the cheeseburger and chips. The cheeseburger is HUGE - you won't walk away hungry. I was hoping that they had more of a "store" , but the majority of items for sale were purses and some small home decor items.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Staying at The Tremont, I ran an hour around the island that morning and went for breakfast by myself, after my run. Pretty sure I un-did my hour of cardio, but it was worth it. I ordered the egg plate with a pancake, instead of toast and coffee. All of it was great. I had to force myself to leave half the pancake on the plate...YUM! Best part is they brew Cafe du Monde as their house coffee!!! Friendly service, good food, great coffe, low prices!!! Enjoy!

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Wife and I visited for lunch and loved it! The service was very fast! I had eggs Benedict and she had the club on croissant. We finished with milk shakes. I had a coffee shake and it was awesome!

Reviewed May 31, 2010

My daughters and granddaughter and I had a late breakfast at Star on Memorial day. They were busy, but fast and friendly. I had eggs and bacon, which was great. One of my daughter's had the egg sandwich on croissant and didn't care for it (I think she just didn't like the sharp cheddar on an egg sandwich, but she said the croissant tasted funny, too) and the other had the french toast, which she said was good. I thought it would be fancier with fruit on it or something, but she was still happy with it. She also ate my grits and said they were really good. My granddaughter has food allergies and we explained this to the waitress. She was going to eat my toast (I'm on low carb) and I ordered her an order of bacon as well as an extra order of bacon for myself. She misunderstood and we only got one order of bacon, but that was ok. We asked for an extra plate for the baby, and the waitress asked it the bacon plate would just be ok, when she delivered it, and I said ok. The problem was that the toast had arrived on my plate, touching the egg, which is the food that we had explained that she was allergic to....we did not complain, and my daughter just cut the ends of the toast off that had touched the egg, but some have allergies so severe that just being on the same plate would have been too much, so it's important for foodservice establishments to pay attention to customers who make special requests due to allergies. Had the toast touched a peanut and we not noticed, my granddaughter could have died...so food allergies are serious business....as a restaurant owner myself, I know how hard it can be to pay attention to every detail for every customer, but it is important.....anyway, I got off track...we would visit the cafe again. The music was a little loud, but we enjoyed the nostalgic feel of the place. I must say that it was very clean and I was very impressed with the condition of the building and how well cared for that it was. Also, the male waiter always had a smile on his face and it made for a happy feeling to the place. The Hurricane Ike pictures and plaque on the wall were also a nice touch.

Reviewed September 14, 2009

We went to the Star Drug Store for lunch. We were seated at the counter and ordered sandwiches. I had half of a reuben and a cup of tomato basil soup. My husband had the whole reuben.

We enjoyed talking to the owner, a hard-working young woman who was making drinks, bussing tables, and talking to customers the whole time we were there. She certainly is a hands-on owner.

The pastrami in the reubens was tough and over-cooked. The bread could not stand up to the tough meat and sauerkraut piled high on the sandwich, and soon broke apart. The tomato basil soup was tasty. There were large chunks of tomato with a bacony broth spooned over bread croutons at the bottom of the cup. I enjoyed the soup much more than the sandwich. I ended with a scoop of butter pecan ice cream which was absolutely delicious!

Even though I've had better food elsewhere, the unique atmosphere of the building, and the friendliness of the proprietor more than made up for the hit and miss quality of the food. I will definitely return here for a follow-up visit when I'm in town.

1  Thank galveston_gal