“Beach/Hotels/Restaurants/Shopping/Fishing”

and up
Houston Sightseeing Tour and Galveston Day Trip
Ranked #6 of 106 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk along this eight-mile seawall built to protect Galveston from the raging winds and waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Seawall of Galveston Island is the best area to stay in my opinon. Lots of choices of hotels, restaurants, shopping and scenic views. Walking on the beach and looking for shells was one of my favorite things of our trip. You can also fish on the piers. Toward the northeastern half there is more beach area and the southwestern half is rocky. We stayed in the middle with plenty of restaurants within walking distance, plus we didn't have to pay to park just to walk along the beach.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,291)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have been coming to Galveston since before Ike and although the devastation was heart breaking, in retrospect it was the best thing to happen to the seawall and the beaches. Ike forced a cleansing and renourishing. The beaches are alive with fish and sea critters once again. Local business is flourishing from high end hotels to budget friendly fast food. I fell in love with "the third coast" before Ike in spite of the disrepair it had fallen into, and now that things have really turned around, I am saddened when I have to leave.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our children had never been to the beach and they were thrilled with the experience. Clean, easily accessible and a real treat.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We were just there on Mon. It was quite cold! Able to drive right up on the beach......I mean right up to the water!! Pretty awesome actually. I could see where it would be crazy crowded in peak season and would not want to be there. VERY touristy. The shops were happy to see us as it was only 40 degrees and windy!!! No one was out!

1  Thank Lolly19712013
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Avoid the Seawall at all costs in Galveston, in the Summer it is always bogged down with tourist traffic and the normal 15 minute drive from one end to the other takes an hour or more.

1  Thank lxvantess