“Tourist Knick Knack Shops”
Review of The Strand

and up
Galveston Island and Houston Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #3 of 106 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Owner description: A lively strip in the heart of historic Galveston feautures pubs, delis and specialty shops.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is pretty much a district devoted to separating the tourist from his/her money for tourist memorabilia, albeit some very pricey and impressive. About the only useful thing were some restaurants in the area, but even with prior recommendations, I was disappointed

1  Thank Yguy94086
Write a ReviewReviews (2,416)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a great time in Galveston both before and after our cruise. 99% of the people we encountered were kind and welcoming. We can't say that for the Old Strand Emporium. I asked if their hand dipped cones were soft serve (the only way you can buy it here) and the woman at the counter got so angry at me, I thought she was going to attack me or ask me to leave the store. I did leave the store and my kids stayed to buy ice cream with my husband. As I stood outside the front door waiting, my 11 year old walked out eating her cone. The man at the front counter came out and accused her of not paying for her cone. I pointed out that her father would pay and was still at the ice cream counter. I can't believe the contempt and rage displayed by both people working in the shop. I assumed they were owners and I recommend you stay away from these people and their store.

4  Thank Splishsplash41
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The strand felt like so many other tourist areas. Most of the shops were not all that interesting. The building were the main attraction for us. We found that walking a couple more blocks up to Post Office street gave us more interesting restaurants and shops.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Strand is located in what would be called downtown Galveston, TX! It is not the same since the Hurricane but they are re-building and offers lots of shops and restrauants. Just remember to wear comfortable shoes as you do a lot of walking!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went during off season, but there was still a nice selection of goods and novelty items. We bought a couple of nice shirts and enjoyed a chocolate shake at the candy store.