“Thin Walls Couldn't Rest”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
dallas,texas
“Thin Walls Couldn't Rest”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Hotel is beautiful, but for the money the rooms should be sound proof. Walls are too thin, could here commodes flushing and entertainment from the next room. Directions are not given fully to access anything.

• Liked — beautiful hotel
  • Disliked — staff unfriendliness and thin walls, room carpet not vacummed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank magnum2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Thai first
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights here for our aniversary. While very convenient to Moody Garden's attractions and the new Schlitterbahn water park (both are across the parking lot) I am writing this review on the HOTEL only without taking in the concideration of the "convenience factor". The pictures on the web site misled me to believe that the hotel was larger and grander than it actually was. The pool, while nice, was not anything special and the lobby was much smaller than I thought it would be. There were alot of activities for children, such as make-your-own-s'mores, movies on the patio and a moon bounce, but we didn't need those services (for once!) Unfortunately, the downstairs lobby bar was overrun with children even at 10:00 at night. There is another lounge upstairs but unless you are dressed up (beyond "resort casual") you may feel out of place. The rooms, unfortunately, were pretty true to the pictures on the website. The furniture and decor look dated and could stand a make over. The bed linens were garish and uncomfortable. I did not feel like our bathroom had been cleaned very well but I was not completely grossed out. For a Saturday and Sunday night stay with a view of the parking lot and Schlittebahn we payed over $500.00 I thought we definately did NOT get our money's worth.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LStar31
Dallas
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My wife and I took our kids (12 and 15) to Moody on July 8-10 for a family vacation. We were booked for a "ocean view" in the main tower but my daughter is diabetic and I needed a fridge in the room to keep her insulin cool. They moved me to "pyramid view" in the North Tower with a fridge with no problem, very helpful. The rooms were nice and clean. Pool was excellent with VERY good poolside bar and wait service. Also had a small snack bar next to pool that stayed open until 10pm, excellent. Chicken Strip dinner with 4 large strips and ton of fries for $5, very good value and good tasting. Very convenient that everything can be charged to your room, no cash to carry around. Didn't spend any time at Palm Beach as it seemed geared more for younger kids, but seemed nice and was fairly crowded, we walked through to look. The pyramids were great, especially the Aquarium. 3D movies were neat but after you see one or two, aaahhhh, they kind of all end up the same. We got a two day pass with our room and could see all the movies we wanted, but two was enough. Schlitterbahn was RIGHT NEXT DOOR (walked from hotel) and it was great. We arrived at 9:30am (official open at 10:00am) and they let us in around 9:40am and rides were open. It was GREAT, we rode 7 slides in the first 45 minutes! By lunch it started getting crowded and by 2pm it was packed, we left having had our fill. Would HIGHLY recommend and will go again.

• Liked — Entertainment choices, Schlitterbahn, Aquarium, Rain Forest, etc...
  • Disliked — The beaches on Galveston Island are bad, but not this hotels fault
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tbtim
Bridge City, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My husband and I took our grandchildren (ages 11, 5, and 4) to Moody Gardens Hotel July 6-8, and we had a blast! We decided to forego the upgraded room in the North Tower and stayed in an island view room with 2 queen beds. The only real differences appeared to be the view (North Tower faces the pyramids at Moody Gardens) and the lack of a mini-fridge. As it turns out, our grandkids were more thrilled with the "island" view from our room, which included Schlitterbahn. We had no real need for a fridge since we weren't in the room much and had brought a rolling cooler with us to take to Schlitterbahn anyway. The rooms were clean and simply decorated, and the air-conditioning worked extremely well (very important in the summertime Texas heat!)

The pool was fun and full of activity - a tad crowded, but it's summer vacation time and to be expected. There was a solarium-type pool, as well, but we never saw anyone using it. Great beverage service by the pool and also a small snack bar.

We had the buffet breakfast in the Terrace restaurant, and it was very enjoyable. We also treated the kiddos to room service one evening. The food was good and it was delivered fairly promptly.

There are lots of activities planned for kids every day (we had fun with Family Bingo night) and each child receives a backpack with goodies upon check in. The best part is, you just can't beat the location. The close proximity to Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn makes this the ideal place for a family to stay. We walked or took the shuttle to Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn and Palm Beach. The only time we got in our vehicle while we were there was to go to Landry's Seafood Restaurant to dine one evening (try the Lobster Bisque - yum!).

We had a great time with our grandkids at Moody Gardens Hotel and made lots of memories. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2007

My extended family of 22 stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, The service was great, poolside service was prompt, the Terrace was good but a little $$ for the buffet. The gym was fine, we went to Schlitterbahn twice and Palm Beach and the Imax. The rooms were clean and looked new, it was nice and quiet at night. No problems sleeping. The only complaint we had was that 3 of us had swedish massages at the spa and 2 out of three had horrible experiences. I always try something at every spa that I stay at all over the world and this is the first time I have had such a unpleasant experience..

Stayed July 2007
austin
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I had a hard time picking where to stay in Galveston. I have read how many hotels were run-down, but that is not the case with this hotel. From the moment we entered the lobby I was impressed. Our room was beautiful, we had 1 adult and 4 kids and used a rollaway. The pool was wonderful and my kids were able to use the hot tub. Schlitterbahn was across the street and we also went to moody gardens. The staff was very friendly. I will stay here again.

• Liked — very clean room and beautiful pool area and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank lovethelonghorns
Spring, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2007

This hotel and its staff were wonderful during our stay. The pool scene was great for families with children and couples. I liked palm beach alot, especially since there was a "bacteria scare" at the actual beaches there, once you go to Palm Beach at Moody Gardens you won't even be able to go to the regular beach in Galveston. It is a man made beach, they had tons of Florida, white, sand barged in to make it and it is beautiful. The rooms were great, but stay in the north tower, we didn't stay there on our first trip, but did this year and there is a significant difference in the room. The hotel check in and housekeeping were great. The wait staff at the pool were also exceptional. I think this is the best hotel in Galveston, my son is five and he loved it. We will return again next year, this will be our standard summer vacation. Just a tip, but try the Baywatch dolphin tours on the strand behind Willie G's and the Harbor House hotel, its great and very affordable for a 45 minute cruise it was $10 for adults and $5 for kids. Loved it!!

• Liked — The staff and the pool, but above all PALM BEACH!
  • Disliked — I think that if you stay at the hotel, admission to the pyramids should be free, because the admission to Palm Beach is free if you stay there!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CAElmore