“Great Place for Family Trips”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Central Texas
“Great Place for Family Trips”
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I was lucky enough to stay in one of their great suites, but I'll say that even if you stay in a regular room, your kids should be very happy. Their pools (indoor and outdoor) and hot tub are large and wonderful, and the attractions and aquarium right across the parking lot really offer a lot for families. And, now Schlitterbahn water park is a hop, skip an djump away!

We've been coming to Moody Gardens since 1999, when they first built the hotel, and though some parts of it are a little worn, overall it is great for a girls trip, family vacation, and relaxing getaway.

The food in the restaurant is good, but expensive for what you get. The lobster bisque is to die for, and the stuffed avocados are something I order every time I've there and they never disappoint.

Avoid the food at the attractions if you're looking for quality. Our favorite thing to do is sleep late, get up and go down to the pool to hang out and get a drink from the pool bar, and then spend the rest of the day tooling around town, going to the beach (brown water isn't that attractive to me), or go shopping downtown at The Strand and get ice cream, and then go out to dinner at Gaido's (fancy), Casey (not fancy and owned by same people) or chain restaurant like Fish Tales (very good, fun atmosphere with bar and ice cream setup).

We love Moody Gardens, probably mostly for sentimental value, and because the people who manage the hotel are so wonderful!

1 Thank GinnySteve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2009

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone with young children. We just got back from a 4 day 3 night stay with our 2 kids (ages 6 and 4). This hotel has a lot to offer! They have children's activities that run all day (bounce house, face painting, roasting s'mores just to name a few) plus FREE breakfast, lunch, and dinner at one of the resturants Monday - Friday. We also recieved 4 FREE tickets to a Magic show at the convention center that the kids loved! They have a huge pool that was never overly crowded with a swim up bar and wait staff walking around to take your order. There is also a large playground next to the hotel. Schlitterbaum is located right across the parking lot (recommend going during the week to avoid weekend crowds). And then of course Moody Gardens is RIGHT there. We bought the 2 day pass which got us into the aquarium, rain forest, discovery pyramid, the 1800 vintage paddle boat, ALL 3-D IMAX movies, the 4-D movie, ride film, and the Palms Beach water park. They do offer a 1 day pass. The hotel was clean, the food was good, the staff was friendly.
We are on-the-go type of people and with all the activites right there with in walking distance this was a low stress GREAT family vacation.

I have never written a review on trip advisor before but use it to check out any hotel I plan on visiting. After staying at the Moody Garden Hotel I decided to post our experience. It is so hard to plan a vacation with young children, I hope this post helps those of you out there traveling with kids!

3 Thank bbbt
Houston
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed at moody gardens and the hotel is very nice. All employees were very friendly. I highly suggest families with kids to explore their Palm Beach that they give free passes to. The kids had such a great time at Palm Beach that it allowed my spouse and I to enjoy ourselves as well. We even joined in the fun with the kids too.
There are plenty of other attractions all within walking distance from the hotel, so you never have to worry about parking.
My spouse had such a great time they didn't want to leave. Gee....just like the kids too. lol.
Great vacation spot and we have all ready planned our next trip to go back again.

1 Thank tocpads
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed June 6, 2009

It was nice, clean hotel, staff was waiting to help you with your luggage. WE have 4 children (10,7,5,1) when checking in all the children got a cute cloth bag with toys. In the room there was a nice size bathroom and a small area with a coffee pot and there is also a small fridge and a nice size closet. We all fit in one room.
In the evening they sold hamburgers, hot dogs, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages in the area near the pool and had a jump house along with a live band. It was very nice - my husband and I sat and listened to the music while the children played.
I ate at the hotel restaurant and it was okay - a bit pricey for what you got - but it was normal hotel pricing. I brought cereal and milk to feed my kids breakfast and peanut butter/jelly and a loaf of bread for lunch and then snack items and juice boxes to save on money. In the evening we went into town and ate supper.
On our last day there we went to Palm Beach and it was nice and fun. You need to get there when it opens so you can get a chair and umbrella.
WE saw all the attractions and just bought a day band - it was cheaper and easier than buying a ticket for each attraction and IMax show.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank hypermomof4
texas
Reviewed May 25, 2009

The whole family had fun. My grandson enjoyed the splash pad and man made beach (can't remember the name). He cried when we tried to leave. We 3 adults loved the outdoor pool and bar. The food is excellent in all the restaurants. We never had to wait long for room service. We are planning another trip in July and bringing other family members.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tmgudecide1
La Porte, Texas
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My girlfriend and I were looking for a nice get away with a hot tub located in the room and found this gem. The room was very comfortable, clean, the hot tub was spectacular although the bubbles did not work on one side (not even an annoyance). Moody's staff have always been great, very courteous. This happened to be the night that the hotel grounds was hosting a prom for a local high school and we did not hear a thing. The pool and swim up bar was fantastic and parking is ample. I look forward to my next get away to Moody Gardens.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank boosterp
Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed for a week with three kids hotel was clean, pool was nice staff was pleasant.
would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family