“Vacation Saved”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“Vacation Saved”
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

We were so thankful to find Moody Gardens after a horrible night at the Galveston Beach Hilton "Resort"..... which by the way is far from being a resort.
Moody Gardens does everything right. Upon arriving you will be enchanted by the gorgeous landscaping ever where you look, it's truly spectacular. The rooms are beautifully decorated and clean. The service is top notch and there is plenty to do. The restaurants are fabulous; breakfast lunch or dinner. Room rates are well priced especially for all you get. Be sure to visit the rain forest pyramid, it is amazing, the aquarium was fun too. Everyone made us feel welcome and we had an amazing weekend. We will definitely go back for repeat visits.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cyndi S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Thai first
Houston
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Was treating my Niece and her children to a day in Galveston and had a room on the bottom floor overlooking the pool, which was very nice. Room was nice, bathroom was nice. Kinda tricky on getting around the Hotel, but it is very large and very nice to visit.
Room service was good and fast, the pool area was very clean and much more family friendly than some of the other hotels in the Galveston area. Would very much recommend it to anyone.
The kids just had a great time in the pool.

Room Tip: Book early and try to get a room upper level for better view.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2014

My oldest sister, my niece, my great niece, my great nephew, my daughter, my grandson and I took a three day; two night vacation to Galveston's Moody Garden.We stayed at the Moody Garden Hotel Spa & Convention Center. Every Hotel staff we came into contact with for any reason was very friendly, helpful, and delightful. Everything that we asked the staff for, was provided with a smile and all the staff was very professional. We love our room it was huge, clean, and the house keeping staff stayed on top of their duties by making sure we had everything that was needed to make our stay comfortable. We will plan another vacation to Galveston and will stay at the Moody Gardens Hotel.

Kat0713
Reviewed August 29, 2014

After an abysmal 2 nights stay at a condo on the east side of the island, this was a little slice of heaven! We stayed in 411, what a great room! The room was clean, large and very quiet, and I could have parked my car on the balcony, it was so big. It overlooked the pool and we had a great view of the gAlveston Bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room, the balcony is huge!
1 Thank Kat0713
Fairfield, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We went to Galveston for our granddaughter's University of Texas Medical Branch graduation, which was going to be in the Moody Gardens' Convention Center located adjacent to the hotel. Since the graduation was on Friday, we decided to go down Thursday and come back Saturday to enjoy some G-town scenery and food.

When we arrived at the hotel, several cars were blocking the unloading area, but I was finally able to drive close enough to unload. I am handicapped, so I asked the valet about valet parking. At $18/night I was not pleased, so he volunteered to park my car in the garage near the elevator!! An immediate PLUS.

After a quick check-in he showed us to our room, unloaded our luggage and left with my car keys so he could move the car to the garage. Later he returned with my keys and I asked for a good seafood restaurant recommendation. He suggested Cajun-Greek (a great choice) and said that he could take us in the hotel van when we were ready. As it turned out we went with other family members.

Our room was adjacent to an elevator, quiet and comfortable with 2-queen beds, refrigerator, large bathroom, and TV. There was also a coffeemaker. The valet suggested we buy our cold drinks elsewhere, as the vending machines were over $3.00.

The younger family members enjoyed the on-site pools, Palm Beach, and the adjacent Water Park. The convention center, although attached to the hotel, is quite a walk.

The next morning as we left for breakfast there was a morning Galveston newspaper at our door, which I enjoyed perusing later. I have no complaints at all and can recommend the Moody Gardens Hotel and Convention Center. We were given special rates in conjunction with the graduation.

Room Tip: The WiFi signal in our room was weak at times, but useable.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Here's a quick overview:
-Great for families and for those planning on visiting the Moody Gardens Pyraminds and Schlitterbahn
-Not so great for crazy women who want to drink a lot and have a good time
-Gym and Yogal class were wonderful!
-Sauna looked good, but wasn't preheated (takes 30 mins) so we didnt experience this
-Restaurant cost too much for mediocre food
-Beds were made, but for the most part the rooms weren't cleaned (coffee mugs, glasses and ice bucket not emptied or cleaned)

I would stay again IF I had a bunch of kids, but otherwise I'll find someplace a little more affordable ($250 a night was a bit much considering we didn't take advantage of the pool or activities for kids).

Full review:
One of my favorite ladies is getting married so we planned a girl's trip to Galveston. We booked this hotel based on the images on their website and their amenities (gym, yoga class, large pool swim-up bar, spa services, free parking and restaurants on site). We didn't realize that this was next door to Schlitterbahn until we arrived so we weren't prepared for the multitudes of excited children, strollers and anxious parents. The pool was FILLED with children (even near the bar). Despite our attempts at scaring them away (crazy lady antics, lots of wine/beer and colorful language), they remained so we left (boo). I love kids, but we wanted a more adult environment.

After dinner/drinks at The Spot (fish tacos were great) and a walk along the shoreline (right across the street), we happily climbed into the pillowy beds. The beds easily accomodated two ladies without any crowding. The air conditioning was nice and cold. We stayed another night without incident.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I've been going to Galveston for vacation for about 25 years. We've stayed everywhere from the Galvestonian to the Hilton, and even smaller places like La Quinta. Staying at Moody Gardens has been our favorite by far. The pool is the best, and like other high-end hotels in the area, has a swim up bar attached to it. The rooms are clean, cool, and new. They aren't ugly either. Overall, we've had more enjoyment and less problems with Moody Gardens. I doubt I'll ever stay anywhere else in Galveston. Also, their room-service breakfast is really good. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are clean. In the spirit of honesty I'm trying to think of any drawbacks to staying here, and the only thing I can think of is lack of access to the beach.

Room Tip: Bay side has a better view!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simon R
MoodyGardensHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Dear Simon R,

Thank you so much for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff and rooms were able to create an experience where you and your family had more enjoyment and less problems!

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the near future.

Sincerly,